Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
haldir

Sunless Citadel 5e pbp

114 posts in this topic

The_Sunless_Citadel.jpg

As I wanna get more experience DMing 5e before ReaperCon this year & flipping through Tales of the Yawning Portal, I thought I'd see if there was any interest in running a Sunless Citadel 5e game here. I loved the adventure in 3.5, it was actually one of the last sitdown @ home games I ran before my friends/gamers all scattered across the state/area.

Let me know here if you are interested.

Basic 5e rules:  http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Basic/PH 5e rules with the options to play the UA ranger or PH ranger & UA artficer. Races can come from the following: PH, Elemental Evil Player's Guide (minus the aracockra & with this being a dungeon crawl, a goliath might not be the best choice either. Sword Coast & Volo's 5e (thou this one needs DM's approval before proceeding.)

I will probably set this in the Forgotten Realms as well.

Other then that standard character generation. Looking for 5 players.

I'd like to start around May 1st.

thanks!

I haven't played 5E since the playtest so I am a bit curious to see how it turned out.  I don't own any of the books so I would have to stick with with the basic classes I see online.

Did WOTC ever release 5E as a set?  My 4E and C&C sets look nice on the shelf.

5 hours ago, Auberon said:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Also if you do a 5e background search on the G, you'll come up with most if not all of the official ones. I'll allow any of the official ones. The basic/PH ones are kinda limited IMHO.

There hasn't really been much in terms of expansion for Backgrounds, aside from the SCAG. (even then a number of them are just very Forgotten Realms-specific variants of PHB backgrounds)

IMO there should be some flexibility on what a background brings, especially in terms of the skill proficiencies gained. I don't see every person who was an entertainer before they were an adventurer being proficient in Acrobatics, or every soldier-turned-adventurer be proficient in Intimidation.

But that's up to the DM, when I allow this flexibility I still have final say on whether the suggested customization can work or not.

Also I'm not sure what's restrictive about Goliaths.... They're big sure, but they still register as Medium-sized creatures. But I don't think I'll play a Goliath.

My current ideas:

Human paladin (Daton Sungold)

Elf swashbuckler or fighter

Firbolg cleric

Dragonborn sorcerer

Human barbarian

Half-elf monk

I'm game assuming you don't expect instant replies.  Not that it would be a week or anything like that but obviously during the day I am not always constantly online, etc.  but I do check fairly regularly.

I'd like timely replies but no I'm not wanting a post as soon as I get a response up.

If SC goes well & the party wants to, I'd also like to move on to Forge of Fury as well, but we'll see how SC goes first.

As far as the Goliath, I was thinking more of being enclosed & such, but seeing they are Medium size, that won't be a problem. I wasn't banning them of course. Aarakocra thou has flight at 1st level which is a big advantage. Thus, they aren't allowed. Firbolg is interesting thou as I've always known them to be large size creatures. I see 5e/Volo has them down to medium for PC use.

That shouldn't be a problem Haldir.  I usually check the forums pretty regularly most days provided I'm not completely tied down with work, out of town, etc.  Obviously if I am going to be out of town (or otherwise unavailable for a period of time) I'll also let everyone know ahead of time.

No idea on what I want to play yet though, might wait and see what other people select first, but will start tossing some ideas around my head this evening. 

I'm down to play.  If you you have extra people who want to play they can take my spot as I'm in two other games right now.

Not sure on race or class.  I can pick based on what others take to fill gaps.

In backgrounds, the PHB gives the formula for building your own.  I usually don't mind as a DM as long as it is internally consistent (no logger background giving proficiency in Arcane and Religion)

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm down to play.  If you you have extra people who want to play they can take my spot as I'm in two other games right now.

Not sure on race or class.  I can pick based on what others take to fill gaps.

In backgrounds, the PHB gives the formula for building your own.  I usually don't mind as a DM as long as it is internally consistent (no logger background giving proficiency in Arcane and Religion)

Whaddya mean I can't use magic to cut down these holy trees?  :P

2 people like this

6 hours ago, haldir said:
11 hours ago, Auberon said:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Also if you do a 5e background search on the G, you'll come up with most if not all of the official ones. I'll allow any of the official ones. The basic/PH ones are kinda limited IMHO.

Given the speed at which pbps move, I'm not particularly interested in trying to keep track of spells.  It looks like that leaves me with barbarian, fighter, monk, & rogue as my likely choices.

Post in the acqusition thread make me want to build a dwarves wizard.  I like spell casters.  But I'll still let everyone else pick first.

I feel like a bunch of us are saying "you guys pick first!"...

Fine....Dwarf Wizard! ::P:

Unless someone else wants the Arcane caster that is.

1 person likes this

I'm leaning toward a Ranger but will let y'all know tomorrow. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar

Rise of the Runelords, Anniversary Edition 
      Paizo Publishing
      First Printing 2012
      Utilizing rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, related to OGL 1.0a
      James Jacobs et al

• By SamuraiJack

About this project
       A marathon is 26 miles, and 385 yards of hell! Now it's time to test your mettle. Lloyd Metcalf and Ric Martens bring you Marathon of Heroes!
      Fighter, Magic user, Cleric, Thief. These are the four compass points and cornerstones of tabletop role playing games. Each with strengths and weaknesses that make them mortal, but also makes them HEROES!
       Here you may test your heroes, let them shine, and hone your party into a well-oiled machine. Here you will need to call back to the halcyon days when no one character could win, it took a team... a team of HEROES.
      The great dragon Vatrastrom sleeps on a bed of treasure at the heart of a volcano surrounded by wicked minions. 
      Miles away, Lord Fez gathers a group of adventurers to request their aid in ending the red menace. 
      Before these brave heroes confront the dragon, they must first prepare by facing challenges that hone their skills as individuals and as a team.
      Many have attempted confronting Vatrastrom, but none have lived to claim the great prize of the wyrm’s hoard. Will your champions be the ones to complete the Marathon of Heroes?
      Marathon of Heroes is a 36-38 page adventure module for the Fifth Edition of the world's favorite roleplaying game for 4-6 Level 5 characters based in the Lands of Lunacy setting from Fail Squad Games. It can be played in any setting with minimal adjustment. Marathon of Heroes is intended to be played over multiple sessions (Typically 4) but may run longer if used with "interlude" side quests.
      This is Fail Squad Games TENTH Kickstarter of its' kind. That's right TEN successful Kickstarters to print adventure modules.  
      We have found reliable printers, reliable shipping methods, we have PROVEN that we can handle budgets for projects of this type. The writing is done, 98% of the illustration is complete. We need your help to take this adventure to print.
       Fail Squad Games hasn't seen a stretch goal for some time. We're bringing them back! For this project stretch goals come in the form of Interludes. Interludes are what we call our short (2 page) side quest adventures ready to be hole punched and dropped into your games at any time. 
      One more tool for the GM to add to their arsenal. We are using this project as an opportunity to introduce these short side-quests to the world, and you can make it happen!
      Share the project link on Facebook, Twitter, in groups, Reddit... everywhere!!! and get more free stuff!
       Interlude stretch goals are delivered with NO EXTRA COST to you! That's right, it's just more adventure for your buck on us! Full color cardstock printed adventures. (2 pages - 1 card both sides)
      $2,000 - Verdant Bonds by Ric Martens $3,500 - Crypt on Keeper Hill by Lloyd Metcalf $4,500 - Ever Present Inn $6,000 - to be announced $10,000 - We commission a popular RPG author to write an interlude.
    • By Darcstaar
      Since many games have stalled waiting on one player, do the "regulars" have any interest in Rise of the Runelords?

I have read through 80% of it.
      I'd be OK if you've played some of part I, but not read it.

If there is interest for 4 players, I'll put up character creation rules.
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project

Arcana Note is a portable, rugged leather notebook filled with 5E tools such as character sheets, cheat sheets, a collapsing dice tray, a ruler that measures game feet, a mini GM screen, grid paper, condition/spell/item cards, card pages and more. The inside pages contain templates for tracking sessions, NPCs, organizations and locations within your campaign. 

Whether you are a player or a GM, Arcana Note provides a dragon's hoard of supplies to help you with your 5E games. 
      The kit comes in a long-lasting leather journal that is crafted to survive many epic campaigns.  The handy size allows you to easily bring it to your sessions by throwing it in your backpack or car. It also takes up less space at the table. The strong leather covering protects your sheets from tearing, bending and arcane missiles.  The inner pages are designed to streamline your games so you can spend more time adventuring and less time looking up information or printing resources. Arcana Note is a great piece of loot for both new players as well as veterans looking to raise the armor class of their character sheets. 

Arcana Note contains the following items:
      One A5 size leather journal made of saddle leather. It develops a rich patina giving it a rugged, weathered look the more you use it. It's soft and smooth like Gnome skin but tough enough to wear as armor. Collapsible dice tray that fits snugly within the journal. No more rolling your dice off the side of the table and trying to claim it landed on a 20.  A high quality, glossy UV coated mini GM screen that slides smoothly into the pockets of the notebook.  Custom character sheets that were designed to be streamlined and clean. Extra character sheet included to roll up yet another Chaotic "Neutral" character. Cheat sheets such as equipment tables, light source diagrams, rules, and more so you can stop borrowing your GM's PHB. Session note pages to help keep you organized.  Campaign specific pages to track timeline, NPCs, locations, organizations, deities and more. Grid paper so you can draw pretty maps. A ruler that measures game distances. For when you don't have a battle grid or your low intelligence Barbarian has a hard time counting squares.  Condition cards. Lay the card out in front as a reminder.  A spell slot card to track spell usage.  50 blank spell cards to place in in the card pages for your own personal spell book. 30 blank item cards to manage loot or hand out to players. Ten card holder pages that hold up to 80 cards.  A zip pouch for holding small tokens & pencils. Six divider tabs to help stay organized. An A5 plastic divider that can be used for dry/wet erase notes. Ten dry erase initiative card tents to hang from your GM screen or place in front of each player. The 6 hole A5 binder paper is easily found in various styles to order online and we will be providing the digital PDFs so you can print your own pages at any time. We will also be providing refill pages at a reasonable price after the Kickstarter if you don't want to print your own. 
      Please note that metal dice will eventually wear through the dice tray and will cause damage. If you have metal dice, we suggest using the tray to hold the dice then rolling on the thicker leather of the journal instead.
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      It seems like no matter how many dice you buy, you still never have enough d6s... meanwhile, your collection of unnecessary d20s keeps getting bigger. 
      Dice of Rolling are not rocket science. They’re just regular dice that come in the amounts you actually need, and they use color for more than just decoration. One simple purchase, and you’re good to go for most of the situations you’ll encounter in the 5th edition of the world's greatest roleplaying game. And since each dice type is a different color, you'll always grab the right ones. It’s kind of a no-brainer, but nobody else is doing it so we're bringing it to Kickstarter. 
      This is the dice set we’ve always wanted for our table, and with your help we can bring it to tables everywhere!

We’re keeping the rewards real simple. You can pledge to receive 1, 2, 4, or 20 sets, and each set will include the same 29 color-coded dice + microfiber dice bag.

• Who's Online   30 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)