Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baldur8762

Dusting Minis

17 posts in this topic

I have been out of the painting scene for several weeks and am now picking back up where I was.  I pulled one of my works in progress off the shelf and noticed that there is a noticeable level of dust particles on it.  Can I run it under water even though I have already painted a few layers? Any suggestions on how to clean it if not?

I have cleaned semi-painted minis by running them under cold water with gentle brushing with a good soft paint brush, then letting them dry.

If the paint is long cured, a brief rinse should not be a problem.

4 people like this

I usually just use a clean cheap brush that's soft and fluffy and use that like a duster all over it. I did need to do a spot rinse once where a drop of something sticky got on a wing, but that didn't damage the paint at all.

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

5 people like this

I'm a terrible housekeeper and my house is very dusty.  I have a larger brush that I dust minis off with before painting them if it's been a while.  (It's a soft flat brush that's almost half an inch wide.)  I have found that when dusting my house with a damp cloth it makes the dust clump up and stick to things, which is only tolerable when wiping flat surfaces. 

My philosophy is that it's easier to start with a dry dusting and then work up to full washing than the other way around. 

3 people like this

Not a help now, but... 

All my partially painted minis are stored in a transparent box on my desk. 

(A 6x6" square box. I stuck the lid to the desk with double-sided tape, and use the box upside down like a display case)

2 people like this

Would compressed air (used for computer fans, keyboards) work? You'd have to hold the figure well, but it may help alleviate worries about water. 

1 person likes this

I wouldn't try it...  

It's very cold air and can(in addition to ripping the paint off) cause condensation.

I think... 

5 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Would compressed air (used for computer fans, keyboards) work? You'd have to hold the figure well, but it may help alleviate worries about water. 

Just from my (extremely limited) experience with art curation and restoration, I would go with a really soft paintbrush (like a squirrel mop) used dry if I were seriously worried about dust.  I can't think of any situation where canned air would be an improvement.

3 people like this

Get a nice big blush brush and use that. It is very soft and won't hurt the minis.

5 people like this

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Just from my (extremely limited) experience with art curation and restoration, I would go with a really soft paintbrush (like a squirrel mop) used dry if I were seriously worried about dust.  I can't think of any situation where canned air would be an improvement.

My thought was that it might get the nooks and crannies well. But if it can peel paint off then it is a no-go. 

I use air from my air compressor, and never had a problem. ..

5 people like this

18 hours ago, Pingo said:

I have cleaned semi-painted minis by running them under cold water with gentle brushing with a good soft paint brush, then letting them dry.

If the paint is long cured, a brief rinse should not be a problem.

What she said.

Cough

I use my makeup brush

That's about the only thing I use it for too

lol

but definitely try to keep them in containers or one of those glass cases (Ikea has one I'm eyeballing btw, if there's one near you, - Look up the Detolf)

2 people like this

IME: Water works fine. High-pressure air works fine. A soft brush works fine.

Painted minis are generally not all that fragile, so long as they've been painted using best practices and you don't get too extreme about what you do.

3 people like this

13 hours ago, Guildenstern said:

but definitely try to keep them in containers or one of those glass cases (Ikea has one I'm eyeballing btw, if there's one near you, - Look up the Detolf)

Or maybe the Kasseby. 

1 person likes this