Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pingo

14528: Rageclaw Slayer - Pingo paints a Giant Werewolf

4 posts in this topic

While I have been painting realistic wolves, I have also been working on some of the gorgeous giant wolfmen sculpted by Julie Guthrie for the Koborlas faction in Reaper's "Warlord" game.

This is #14528, the subtly-named "Rageclaw Slayer", or the testosterone-poisoned werewolf a friend of mine requested.  He's a big puppy; I include a copy of Reaper's 60164, Vampire Hunter, for scale:

DSC_0186-with-60164-Vampire-Hunter-for-scale.jpg.4c26bb9faf69d61cfd177288fc1e07fb.jpgDSC_0185.jpg.c1c749a75d1de75b0c97e4bd861e103f.jpg

This is my standard priming of a thin layer of Titanium White followed by a thin wash of diluted Burnt Umber, using my favorite Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics.  I left the base white in order to paint it as snow.

Those who have been following my regular wolf painting thread will recognize the steps here.  First I mixed a cool neutral grey from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White and painted it on his limbs, face, and belly:

DSC_0224-14528--Rageclaw-Slayer.jpg.3987faa32e1ef590717b15b447a08bb3.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg.c56f1d00e75cedf699601289045770c2.jpg

Then I mixed a darker version of the same grey and painted his back and tail:

DSC_0241-14528--Rageclaw-Slayer.jpg.f5c29bcc54313fa3665c288256de56ad.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg.5b7446009c4f178d73bece8e90ca5e59.jpg

Then I mixed a cream-buff color from Burnt Sienna, Yellow Oxide, a tiny bit of Ultramarine Blue to take the orange edge off, and Titanium White, and went over his face, limbs, and belly again:

DSC_0255-14528--Rageclaw-Slayer.jpg.ce45a47ec3dc7b46b64acde38e88d562.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg.3151da0c7feaa11cfa9c26b3e830083f.jpg

And finally I took some pure Carbon Black (a color I rarely use except for special effects) and laid in his eyes, nose, lips, and claws (Although I just noticed I missed his toe claws.  Oh, well, next time.).  I also washed a little diluted black over his darker fur, most noticeable on the parts of the tail I had missed earlier:

DSC_0278-14528--Rageclaw-Slayer.jpg.1108181a6c218757560d51e2de879834.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg.73242ff9fe26b687d429e95a879c4b5c.jpg

He still looks rough and terrible, especially up close, but I have to admit I am rather pleased with the overall color impression.

12 people like this

More BONUS Points for painting another WOLF!!!

Another mini I need to add to my wishlist..

I like it so far!

He is huge!

What are you going to do with the armor?

Will it be coloured or steel?

1 person likes this

In painting some other minis I had some pale blues mixed, so I added snow shadows.  This is two colors: one Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White; the other Phthalocyanine Blue, a very small amount of Hansa Yellow Opaque, and Titanium White.

DSC_0341A-14528-Rageclaw-Slayer-blue.jpg.1a2a4597d7d4956c61d66f5393a34650.jpg

7 people like this

RRRROOOO???

Nice !!!

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      This thread will serve as an index of all the Work in Progress and Show-off threads created by participants in this glorious madness. Don't post your entries here! Please make your own threads, then make a post here with links to them.

The Challenge will begin on August 1st 2017, and will be open for submission of completed entries until midnight CST on August 1st 2018. For further information, please see this thread.

Please familiarize yourself with the Official Rules BEFORE you start your Challenge! We don't want to have to disqualify anyone's hard work!

Official Rules:

Link to FAQ: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/

Now, forth, and fear no dragon!
      Arise! Arise, Painters of Ma'al Drakar!
      Paints shall be shaken! Brushes shall be splintered!
      A glorious day... A Seven day... Ere the deadline rises!!!

• By KingMob
      Long time lurker, second time poster, first time upload.

Here is the Frost Giant Queen from the Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter for your consideration. I was unable to participate in the Bones 3 Kickstarter as I came upon these Bones figures late in the game. However, the participants who were able placed their unwanted miniatures up on eBay, so I took advantage of opportunity when presented. I focused on Color Theory and Texture on this piece as she provided a very large palette to paint upon. These Giants provided me practice in sketching too, which makes the entire line appealing to me.

Side note: Gratitude to those who did place these minis up on eBay without jacking up the prices. I was able to purchase the both Frost Giant Royalty around cost of what Reaper will sell them at Retail. This certainly displays an ethos in the Reaper community that makes this community stand out among others. Further, having lurked for awhile: the community here is quite kind and helpful. This is a good community of miniature painters.

I like the Bones miniature range. The detail on this miniature was very close to what I expect from the metal range, and I will purchase more of the Bones range in the future. I am looking forward to the resculpt of Vanya, the Fire Giant Princess, and her new size to match the Fire Giants in D&D. The attire of this miniature is akin to the Viking attire of old, and I found my SCA ventures to assist me in painting this Viking Apron and embellishments. The sculptor did an outstanding job and I look forward to more of their work.

The FAQs were an asset that made my first foray into Bones an easier one. I had difficulty with flash lines until I picked up some diamond files, which handled them quite well without marring detail like my serrated files. The bent pieces were fixed with some boiling water and cold water quite easily. The pieces fit together like a glove, though I admit I still pinned them. (My OCD was tingling.) I did use Krylon as Primer, and the tackiness disappeared after the first coat of paint. She was sealed only with Krylon Dull Cote and exhibits no tackiness. She has been handled and there is no rubbing off of paint.

I like how her base was round, though I am ignorant of what would be an appropriate Reaper base to place this inside of. (I currently have the King on a GW Dreadnought base, and I do not like it. If anyone reads this and has a recommendation, I surely would appreciate it.)

This Bones line of miniatures has proven to me to be a Good Idea and one I will support. I am already purchasing more of the Bones 2 line for my D&D and Oldhammer alternatives, and I admit excitement at the new of Bones 4. Based on the quality of these miniatures: you will have an additional participant. Please keep up the outstanding quality and amazing work.

I hope you enjoy my efforts. C&C is always appreciated: it is the only way an Artist can improve.

May your blends be smooth.
      Peace and blessings.

• By Xherman1964
      @ub3r_n3rd sent me a gift.

A nice magnet from Las Vegas, a Bombshell Pirate Girl and a few Rackham Confrontation Minis.

Besides that ( an awesome gift already) he sent me a painted version of my avatar.
      Many thanks Paul!
      I love it.

It has a special place in my display cabinet ( next to George's @knarthex who had sent me a little wolf painted in the colours of my avatar a while ago)

Thanks!

I wanted to show it to the Forum, it deserves a Show Off.

• By SirLarpsAlot
      I've been working on some bigger projects and have been really bogged down with some of them. I decided to test out some snow following one of Mr. Justin's two minute tutorials. In order to give it a fair test, I painted up a Vahallan Heavy Bolter team. I did this to work on some leather texturing techniques I've been trying to perfect. So a lot of different things going on in this piece here. My color scheme is roughly following the Stalingrad army. I've been working off one of the Osprey books about the battle and have found it very useful.

I'm pretty pleased with the results. The snow looks fantastic (I think anyway, I'm biased). I need to remember to spray seal the figures before I put them on the base.

• By Pochi
      These are a couple of the animal companion sets that I painted for one of my players (minus the spider which I have not finished yet).

I didn't want to paint the cat like a plain panther and I decided to use an ocelot as inspiration. My favorite is the little wolverine guy even though the photos make the river rocks look like pastel M&M's lol.

My usual background got ruined so I have to make do until I get a new one printed or buy a fancy one. The bear looks better in hand and I used blacks and browns in his fur so he doesn't look so flat as he does in the photos.

I am not happy with the fake snow and how it turned out. It looked really good when I put it on but not so good once the glue dried. I guess next time I will try baking soda and see how that works out. These are for gaming though so baking soda wouldn't have been the best choice probably.

Anyway, here they are! C&C welcome.

• Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)