Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pingo

14528: Rageclaw Slayer - Pingo paints a Giant Werewolf

4 posts in this topic

While I have been painting realistic wolves, I have also been working on some of the gorgeous giant wolfmen sculpted by Julie Guthrie for the Koborlas faction in Reaper's "Warlord" game.

This is #14528, the subtly-named "Rageclaw Slayer", or the testosterone-poisoned werewolf a friend of mine requested.  He's a big puppy; I include a copy of Reaper's 60164, Vampire Hunter, for scale:

DSC_0186-with-60164-Vampire-Hunter-for-scale.jpg.4c26bb9faf69d61cfd177288fc1e07fb.jpgDSC_0185.jpg.c1c749a75d1de75b0c97e4bd861e103f.jpg

This is my standard priming of a thin layer of Titanium White followed by a thin wash of diluted Burnt Umber, using my favorite Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics.  I left the base white in order to paint it as snow.

Those who have been following my regular wolf painting thread will recognize the steps here.  First I mixed a cool neutral grey from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White and painted it on his limbs, face, and belly:

DSC_0224-14528--Rageclaw-Slayer.jpg.3987faa32e1ef590717b15b447a08bb3.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg.c56f1d00e75cedf699601289045770c2.jpg

Then I mixed a darker version of the same grey and painted his back and tail:

DSC_0241-14528--Rageclaw-Slayer.jpg.f5c29bcc54313fa3665c288256de56ad.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg.5b7446009c4f178d73bece8e90ca5e59.jpg

Then I mixed a cream-buff color from Burnt Sienna, Yellow Oxide, a tiny bit of Ultramarine Blue to take the orange edge off, and Titanium White, and went over his face, limbs, and belly again:

DSC_0255-14528--Rageclaw-Slayer.jpg.ce45a47ec3dc7b46b64acde38e88d562.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg.3151da0c7feaa11cfa9c26b3e830083f.jpg

And finally I took some pure Carbon Black (a color I rarely use except for special effects) and laid in his eyes, nose, lips, and claws (Although I just noticed I missed his toe claws.  Oh, well, next time.).  I also washed a little diluted black over his darker fur, most noticeable on the parts of the tail I had missed earlier:

DSC_0278-14528--Rageclaw-Slayer.jpg.1108181a6c218757560d51e2de879834.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg.73242ff9fe26b687d429e95a879c4b5c.jpg

He still looks rough and terrible, especially up close, but I have to admit I am rather pleased with the overall color impression.

12 people like this

More BONUS Points for painting another WOLF!!!

Another mini I need to add to my wishlist..

I like it so far!

He is huge!

What are you going to do with the armor?

Will it be coloured or steel?

1 person likes this

In painting some other minis I had some pale blues mixed, so I added snow shadows.  This is two colors: one Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White; the other Phthalocyanine Blue, a very small amount of Hansa Yellow Opaque, and Titanium White.

DSC_0341A-14528-Rageclaw-Slayer-blue.jpg.1a2a4597d7d4956c61d66f5393a34650.jpg

7 people like this

RRRROOOO???

Nice !!!

1 person likes this