Chaoswolf

North Star military figures releasing plastic Dwarves.

This is bad. This is very bad. I don't need more minis! But we wants them!

• Like 4

I really like the look of these. It might be a case of a very good paint job making mediocre models really shine, but the details really stand out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DocPiske said:

I really like the look of these. It might be a case of a very good paint job making mediocre models really shine, but the details really stand out.

They are very nicely painted (looks like the four on the Facebook page are the same as these, but from a different angle).  I suspect the shields are actually smooth and plain under that very nice paint job.

I'm not sure how freestanding they actually are.  The photo in the OP looks 'Shopped to me.

Seems to me there's a place in the market for plastic modular dwarves, anyhow.

(Huh.  My spellchecker doesn't recognize "dwarves"?  Bee-zarre.)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Loim said:

This is bad. This is very bad. I don't need more minis! But we wants them!

And dwarves at that. 

We need more dwarves. 

There are not enough dwarves. 

@Pingo I have beaten my chellspecker into submission...it just autocorrected the mistyped "dearves" into dwarves. 

:B):::D:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

They are very nicely painted (looks like the four on the Facebook page are the same as these, but from a different angle).  I suspect the shields are actually smooth and plain under that very nice paint job.

I'm not sure how freestanding they actually are.  The photo in the OP looks 'Shopped to me.

Seems to me there's a place in the market for plastic modular dwarves, anyhow.

(Huh.  My spellchecker doesn't recognize "dwarves"?  Bee-zarre.)

The other Northstar Frostgrave modular figures are quite nice (I have the Barbarians and Soldiers sets. In those sets, the torsos and legs are attached to a sort of small oval base that is not unlike that for the Anhurian solders in the Bones line. The sets also come with thin, circular plastic bases to improve the figures' stability in play, though I'll probably use pennies for more weight.

I found that the best price for me was to order direct from Northstar and have them shipped directly from England, YMMV.

Linguistic note: The standard English plural of "Dwarf" is "Dwarfs". The "Dwarves" thing is a Tolkienism that seems well on its way to changing the language. Works for me. :B):

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Linguistic note: The standard English plural of "Dwarf" is "Dwarfs". The "Dwarves" thing is a Tolkienism that seems well on its way to changing the language. Works for me. :B):

Are you sure about that?

Granted I haven't researched this but when then there's an "f" involved when describing multiples of a word doesn't it change to a "v"?

Wife becomes wives. Knife becomes knives. Etc.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DocPiske said:

All of their stuff is good quality.

13 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The other Northstar Frostgrave modular figures are quite nice (I have the Barbarians and Soldiers sets. In those sets, the torsos and legs are attached to a sort of small oval base that is not unlike that for the Anhurian solders in the Bones line. The sets also come with thin, circular plastic bases to improve the figures' stability in play, though I'll probably use pennies for more weight.

I found that the best price for me was to order direct from Northstar and have them shipped directly from England, YMMV.

Sort of, but no. Tolkien did not invent this. The modern standard became "dwarfs" at some point. But it WAS once "dwarves" (we still use the softer "v" variant in a few other words, such as "selves" vs "selfs.") Tolkien did not invent this. In his own notes, he says that he consciously chose to use the older English version. Same for "Elves" vs "Elfs." He frowned upon the modern usage and, if I recall correctly, thought it was a bit crude.

But this is why Merriam-Webster considers "dwarves" a real word. Because it is, just a bit antiquated:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dwarf

Note: scientists stick with "dwarfs" for lifeforms with dwarfism, or that are classified as smaller version of their relatives.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Are you sure about that?

Granted I haven't researched this but when then there's an "f" involved when describing multiples of a word doesn't it change to a "v"?

Wife becomes wives. Knife becomes knives. Etc.

Basically, yes, though it's a bit more complex than my bald statement. For a fuller discussion, see:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000293.html

A quote from Tolkien in that article:

"It may be observed that in this book as in The Hobbit the form dwarves is used, although the dictionaries tell us that the plural of dwarf is dwarfs."

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 1

Hmm... neat.  I'll be interested in seeing what their elves and goblins look like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Basically, yes, though it's a bit more complex than my bald statement. For a fuller discussion, see:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000293.html

A quote from Tolkien in that article:

"It may be observed that in this book as in The Hobbit the form dwarves is used, although the dictionaries tell us that the plural of dwarf is dwarfs."

Again, it was not just recently added to the dictionary for fun. It's there because it was once a common usage. New words take years and a committee vote before being added.

Edited by Bruunwald

3 minutes ago, Bruunwald said:

Again, it was not just recently added to the dictionary for fun. It's there because it was once a common usage. New words take years and a committee vote before being added.

I stand by my statement and recommend anyone wanting further information look at the linked Language Log article.

"Dwarves" was an archaism that has come back into common use almost entirely as a direct result of Tolkien's use in The Hobbit and LotR.

• Like 1

.....aaaaand pulling this back on topic:

Sprue pictures:

17880398_1607536205941942_74983839432268

• Like 11

I don't need more dwarfs. Dwarves. Whatever. I don't need any more...

But I'll probably get some anyway. ::P:

• Like 1

Dwerrow.

And yup, those are plain shields all right.  Perfect for freehanding. ::D:

I love those magnificent beards.  My only regret is that they are all fellas.  Lady dwarrows, plz

• Like 4