Chaoswolf

North Star military figures releasing plastic Dwarves.

I'm excited for those elves they are planning. I really like their frostgrave soldiers, bc you can put a variety of soldiers/mercenarys/thugs on the battlefield for relatively little money, and I hope this will be the same with the dwarves and elves.

• Like 2

Elves?!?

Quick! Someone light up the Beagle signal!

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I am more confused than ever.

Those photos on the terrain are clearly 'Shopped.  All the pix of minis in situ show bases after all.  Which is fine and as expected.

But in the third, fourth, and fifth picture, how big are those figures?

The painted up dwerven are very obviously the ones they have been using in publicity.  But then there are those tiny grey plastic ones in front of them.

If the grey plastic ones are 28mm scale, then the ones they have been showing are more like 75mm, gigantic.

If the painted ones are 28mm, what's with those astonishingly detailed wee ones?

The idea is still interesting, but what are we seeing?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Basically, yes, though it's a bit more complex than my bald statement. For a fuller discussion, see:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000293.html

A quote from Tolkien in that article:

"It may be observed that in this book as in The Hobbit the form dwarves is used, although the dictionaries tell us that the plural of dwarf is dwarfs."

The following piece of pedantry comes from my attempts (in college) and later to learn Old English. 

In Old English there are certain conditions wherein an unvoiced consonant becomes voiced when sandwiched between vowels or vowelish things like r's and s's.

As a result, the f in dwarf is unvoiced (i.e. it sounds like f).

But the f in dwarfs is voiced (i.e. it sounds like v).  So pronouncing it produces something closer to dwarves than dwarf-s.

Old English did not have standardized spelling.  As a result both of these spellings can be found.

To make even more trouble, indeed at the risk of starting a religious conflict, let me further note that the d in Odin isn't a d at all, but an eth, a letter that looks like a d but is pronounced the way modern English pronounces 'th'.  It too is voiced between vowels, so a more proper pronunciation would be ah-thin.

We now return you to the question of who needs more trolls or drow, because those are also variants of the same word as dwarves.  Ah, Germanic languages, just as messed up as those derived from Latin, but less Romantic.

• Like 2

For those unaware. 3 Ups are created for the manufacturing process in the casting of hard plastic minis that will be part of a sprue.

Mantic Games actually produced additional 3 Ups of several of their early minis to sell as collector items.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2017 at 2:29 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

I stand by my statement and recommend anyone wanting further information look at the linked Language Log article.

"Dwarves" was an archaism that has come back into common use almost entirely as a direct result of Tolkien's use in The Hobbit and LotR.

Not the only time that science fiction or fantasy has replaced the then proper term with another.

Hal Clement created the word 'Symbiote' to cover creatures that live in a symbiotic relationship with a host creature.

He had been unable to discover the then proper term, which is 'Symbiont' - when Hal Clement discovered the proper term he began to use it, including in the sequel to the book whare he had created the word symbiote.

Which, ironically, made him one of the few SF writers that was using the older proper term.... :B): (Needle was also one of the very first attempts to have a novel that was both a science fiction story and a mystery - it is one of my very favorite classic SF novels. ::): )

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

I picked up a sprue of the dwarves from the Osprey stand at Salute on Saturday - they do look like a useful set. They had a 3-up of a goblin there as well, but I forgot to take a photo... sorry! :unsure:

• Like 3

Yes, these dwarfs (dwarves, dwarrow...?) look awesome, and really hit the right buttons for me for how I envision dwarfs (I was HEAVILY influenced by GW's Norse Dwarfs back in the day, many modeled on viking or Anglo-saxon styles). Really excited to see their elfs now. On the FB page comments, Northstar admitted that the look of these guys was influenced by Tolkien's vision as well, so there is that. The goblin they previewed also had that look (dark gray skin and all). I have a box of gnolls I bought for D&D, may hold off on assembling them as Northstar also alluded that there may be a mass battle game in the works too... ::D:

Damon.

• Like 1

Love the looks of these and I already have a bunch of Northstar plastics so have no concerns about the quality. I've been working on a dwarf army for years and just decided to try and finish it off sometime this decade. The core of what I have is older GW plastics mostly the 6th ed warriors box set. I've been converting spearmen, halberds and other things using that box as a core. If these are anywhere near the same size as the older GW minis I can see a unit or two joining the ranks. Focus on your romans Zink. No buying more minis until at least the romans are done. Bones 3 and 4 don't count because one's already paid for and the other won't arrive for a year or so.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2017 at 4:11 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

For those unaware. 3 Ups are created for the manufacturing process in the casting of hard plastic minis that will be part of a sprue.

Mantic Games actually produced additional 3 Ups of several of their early minis to sell as collector items.

Thanks for the definition, Darsc. I was trying (and failing) to come up with a good way to explain that.

• Like 2

They're nice dwarfs, but I have plenty of plastic dwarfs from GW, Mantic, AoW, Em4 and Reaper - seems like kind of an odd choice to launch their non-Frostgrave fantasy line. The modularity is really nice, you get a good variety of weaponry, and the style is good, but I don't think it's enough to tempt me.

Having said all that, I'm glad to see more companies doing fantasy hard plastic kits, and I hope these are a huge success. I'll be really interested to see what their elves look like.

• Like 1