Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smokestack

Live
Plastic multi-part fauns (male and female)

50 posts in this topic

This project is designed to fund the production of a plastic injection mold, which will enable us to mass produce 32mm fantasy table top fauns.  

Summary

After rgdgaming's first initial production runs with the Ghoul King and the Minotaur Brute, we wanted to create our first ten man box set, featuring our faun renders in plastic. 

Our goal is to provide a ten man box set so players have the option to field tribal archers, javelin throwers, and miscellaneous warriors using fauns.  

Initial Sketches of Fauns Initial Sketches of Fauns

Based off our sketches, our renderer proposed that we use a 3 in 1 pose for the torso, which allows the faun to be armed with a bow, a javelin, or a sword and shield. We initially played with the idea of rocks underneath, but for the convenience of the player we eliminated them. We loosely based the fauns off the idea of thracians, whom were valued for their skirmish warfare. 

Faun Faun

Faun without Rock Faun without Rock

The project was promising, but we knew that modelers would eventually want a variety of options to choose from. We started with some different heads and a female counterpart. This led to some sketches below. 

Faun Add Ons Faun Add Ons

Females are sorely under represented in many tribal type armies, so we tried to combine huntress concepts, such as the cloth along the thighs, longer hair, and agile frame. We are looking for multiple head types to go with the torso, and a new female torso to match the male counterpart and weapons

Proposal for the Sprue

We have been given multiple quotes for the .CAD design and we have two options: a simple sprue featuring two torsos, with all the options for bow, javelins, shield, heads and accessories for around $200-$300 designed, or we can try one sprue with ten times the amount of accessories for around 2k. The larger we make the design, the more we have to account for the mold design. One sprue with ten models would be ideal. 

Who are We Making These For?

The faun box set is intended to offer Kings of War players the ability to field tribal archers and javelin throwers for their Herd army. Though the other is the apparent lack of faun miniatures on the market.

We wanted to open up an opportunity later for a new box set, which would allow the fauns to adapt the thracian Rhomphaia, the miniature version of the deadly falx. With the lack of armor they would make an ideal spirit walker. Put this together, and you have an incredible table top army in the works. 

How are These Being Made?

When weighing resin vs plastic we had to pick and choose the option that allows us to provide a great model set at a price that people appreciate. Resin is cheaper to make a mold for, but costs several times more material wise than ABS plastic for example. So we decided to shoot for an injection mold.

Injection molds allow machines to make plastic impressions at a rate that is far faster than resin casting. As a result, it is far less labor intensive. This makes it relatively cheap to use no matter which country you enlist to make the product

• To design the mold blue print, we are enlisting a .cad designer from http://camppixel.com/.
  • To make the injection mold and miniatures, we are working with http://www.kamings.com/ (has done work with previous kickstarters, and work for our minotaurs)
  • A professional renderer and 3D sculptor. 

To avoid wasting the funds on a bad mold, we will be testing the .cad design with a rapid prototype in the US, giving us a good clue to the viability of the sprue. From here we can refine the mold. 

What Do We Need? 

$2900-$4000 for the mold

$200-$2000 for the .cad design

$500-$800 for the option of extra bits, heads, and torsos

Cost of materials and shipping of the product will be handled by RGD GAMING LLC to satisfy the minimum order needed to make this project happen. 

What Do You Get?

For a $1 or $5 contribution

Personal credit will be given in this products production 

For a $25 contribution 

1 10 Model Faun Box Set (Retail SRP 34.99) (separate shipping and handling applies).

For a $50 contribution

3, 10 Model Faun Box Set (separate shipping and handling applies). 

For a $100 Contribution

6, 10 model Faun box set (separate shipping and handling applies).

Availability of Shipping

If we can mail it, we will try for you, whether you are in Canada, or Cambodia. Do note that postal performance varies from country to country and tracking may not be available for lower end shipping. Customs may be required. 

Mainland US and territories $6

Canada $16

Europe and rest of the world 

Per Quote

Timeline

A realistic estimate is somewhere between 4-6 months. We have cut down the time it takes with our initial renders, but we have to take into account production time of models, changes, and revisions of the mold. There will also be the communications and forwarding of shipments. 

Risks and challenges

Our biggest challenge is funding the initial plastic injection mold for this project. Plastic injection molds are cheaper than steel molds but offer comparable precision, is ideal for mass production, and pairs well with plastic models. Resin offers cheaper molding opportunities, but is not ideal on a cost per model basis.

What we have done to make this project relatively easy is carefully vetting companies and partners for quality. As a result, we have many of the crucial elements a wargaming company needs.

A concept artist
A professional 3D sculptor (for the renders)
A .CAD designer (blue print for the mold)
A production company who can make the injection mold and produce the miniatures
Initial renders and sketches paid for in advance
Most importantly, a retail company who is dedicated to timely results

To insure funds for the mold are not squandered, we will be prototyping the .cad files with local production companies, before green lighting the injection mold. The process is cheap and offers a quick turn around (5-7 days).

We estimate the project will take 4-6 months to allow time for the design and production of the mold, add ons for the miniature sprue and shipping from mainland china to the US. From here we can label and ship products from the United States. A lot of the time will be cut down because of the initial time and investment we have already committed toward the faun project.

1 person likes this

Concept for kneeling fauns in line with main poses

1 like

Fauns Kneeling Fauns Kneeling

Creator advised this in the comments.

The background of the fauns is loosely based off of tribal concepts of the thracians. They were known to use light armor elements so they could run fast, hence you will see wicker shields (other concepts use animal fur for shields). As was the area, you will see javelins, spears, bows, and the rhomphaia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhomphaia). The females sport a small close combat knife on the leg.

Females are not a stretch goal, we are adding them with the male counterpart pose so we can interchangeably swap out the parts. My job here is to vary them enough so people don't just see one pose.

We have an artist working up concepts for everyone as we speak.

1 person likes this

My thoughts too. I want to see some more of the concept art that should be posted soon. I am at $1 right now. but will probably go for the $50 for 3 boxes. I am not a fan of kneeling poses. And I have male beastmen so am more interested in the females. But I like what I see so far.

These do look interesting. I'm not sure I'd want very many of them myself but it would be a pleasure to play against them.

Posted (edited)

Hello, I should introduce myself. I'm Robert from RGD Gaming. A critical design challenge is narrowing down the right poses to complement two ranks of men/women fauns when firing a bow, a javelin, and holding themselves in a line side by side with spear and sword. Ill be posting more concept art soon, once I get the idea across to my concept artist.  

Using only the poses shown, it would be very static, but can show how we can adapt variations using one torso. Adding a second and or third would make this sprue what it should be. 

We went away from the shield wall concept, because the primary purpose of the boxset is light infantry, skirmish warriors etc. The wicker shield is understandable from a fantasy and historical concept, as it can be interwoven by craftsmen, but still be durable enough to be used in combat.  

Edited by rgdgaming
2 people like this

I should not have looked more closely ... got a lot of questions, with the right answers, I might have to jump in for $50.

2 people like this

Oooh.

Gorrafuzzypants. I didn't need to know... but I know some people that might. Heh.

1 person likes this

interested here. Really like the action pose female with drawn bow - hoping that might be included

Really want to get that pose in :)

1 person likes this

We had a test concept with a spear before this, but it turned more into an amazonian style, see below. 

faun with spear.jpg

3 people like this

As a Beastmen addict, consider me hooked ^_^! I've never had anything to do with Kickstarter but this looks like I might be joining the cult program. I've been wanting some more neutral looking beasties as of late for reasons (eg, solo game) and these look like they'll fit nicely.

3 people like this

GW's beastmen represented chaos, whereas in Kings of War fauns can serve either noble or dark pursuits. They are a part of a society that is conscripted against a greater danger in the forests they reside in. 

We wanted to pair this up with another of our creations, the Minotaur Brute.

Minotaur Render 3.jpg

2 people like this

lots of good answers in the comment section ... will have to talk to my secretary of the treasury (my wife) about that ...

1 person likes this

Minotaur Brute looks good. Maybe open that up as an addon? I know its on preorder on your website.

I'm liking what I see so I upped to the $50/3 box level.