Auberon

Games - What You Finished Playing and What You Thought About It

28 posts in this topic

I finished DOOM! (2016)

It was surprisingly cool, especially compared to the previous one. The game is super fast paced, and the shooting is really satisfying. It encourages very aggressive game play in a really interesting way, you get health by killing the weakest demon in the room, and you get more health and possibly armor and ammo if you finish them off with a punch. So you end up dashing around the room weaving between enemies so you'll be close enough to punch them when they start flashing. Then a little after half way through the game there are pattern bosses, which was a huge surprise to me.

The story is absurd. Scientists drill into hell to steal their energy. Then they figure well, we've got all these useless demons sitting around, lets weaponize them. Unsurprisingly one of the scientists makes a really stupid Faustian bargain. Then hell on Mars. fortunately CEO/head scientist, and evil optimus prime impersonator, found a box, full of doom guy, while wandering around in hell looking for energy.

Doom guy appears to be mad that the plot exists. This is even funnier when you realize there is a strong possibility that doom guy has not understood a single word anyone has said to him all game, since he isn't from earth. He may just be following the marker on his hud.

3 people like this

I finished Shattered Pixel Dungeon as a Battlemage recently.  It was good and quite replayable.  My only issues were the Dwarf Warlocks and the Scorpios in the last two stages.

3 people like this

I most recently finished The Talos Principle, which is a lovely mid-length puzzler with a philosophical bent. I'd recommend going in with as little foreknowledge as possible, as discovering and gaining an understanding of the game's setting is intrinsic to the experience. Puzzles are challenging but mostly reasonable, with a lot of Portal-style geometric elements and a few unique twists (the recorders are genius but make my head hurt).

Hoping to finish up some work on my Shogun 2: Total War mods over the summer. Still wins my vote as the best TW game so far, especially with the right mods. I've also dabbled with the Warhammer version recently which, while introducing some great new elements, is not without significant flaws.

1 person likes this

Diablo III - Battle Chest (PC)

Set 20 years after the events of Diablo II, the third installment picks up when a star falls on poor old Tristram (why does anyone live there anymore?) .  The hero arrives to investigate and deal with all of the dead that have arisen after the star's fall.  No spoilers here, but I'll just say for those that counted, you only fought five of the seven evils in the previous Diablo. 

There are 5 classes (6 with the expansion) to choose from.  You can pick gender this time around, though it does not have a direct gameplay effect.  Some nice changes since the first game are that you don't have to keep clicking, you just hold down the mouse button.  Skill points are gone, everything unlocks by level and you just pick which ones to use.  Beyond that you have hordes of demons to slay, loot to collect, and a little bit of crafting to do on the side.  Essentially, if you are a fan of the genre it has what you want, but if you are not a fan then there won't be anything here to draw you in.

After completing the game you unlock the higher difficulty levels, the initial being stupid easy and really easy, which grant more xp and better loot.  You also unlock a challenge portion which I haven't really tried yet.  For those that enjoy looting and building the perfect armor set, it gives more options than simply replaying story mode over.

One peculiarity of installing the battle chest is that the opening sequence that plays when you first launch the game is the one for the expansion, not the original game.  It makes no sense whatsoever until you've completed the initial story.

1 person likes this

Ori and the Blind Forest - Definitive Edition (PC) [but played with my x-box controller]

To start, the visuals of Ori are very well done.  Anyone who likes lush, vibrant plant life, waterfalls, and glowing creatures in dark caverns will enjoy what they see.  The story itself is fine, at least what there is of it.  Aside from the opening and ending cut scenes, most of the story comes in snippets delivered when you reach an important location.  All told it doesn't feel like it would even add up to 15 minutes worth.  The action part of the game starts off pretty simple, but as you gain xp and unlock new abilities you gain better ways to fight.  The same goes for the platforming - initially simple but by the end of the game you have a lot of options to make your way through fairly complex areas.

All that sounds great, so is there a reason not to pick this game up?  Well, how well can you handle dying over and over and over?  Aside from a number of insta-kill terrain features that will get you a few times, and some monsters that can take you out pretty easily before you expand your health bar, the game has three brutal sequences.  Each one has some deadly reason why you need to keep moving.  If you stop or miss a jump you die.  Some sections depend on enemy actions, and if they don't trigger properly you die.  And you can't save so when you die you get to start the sequence over from the beginning.  In other words, they are designed so that you keep dying until you've memorized the path and timing you need to take (or are just stupid lucky).  If that doesn't sound fun or you are prone to rage-quitting, the Ori is probably not the game for you.  Honestly I don't believe I'll be replaying it anytime soon.  I'm sure it would be easier going at it again, but a few Steam achievements just aren't worth all the suffering.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Darksiders (PC)

Darksiders was a last gen game, so I figure that most people who were interested have already played it by now.  On the off chance that some of you are like me and pick up cheap older games during Steam sales, here's the 101.

In the Darksiders universe, Heaven and Hell have warred with each other since forever.  Between them stand the Charred Council, the keepers of the balance, and their enforcers, the four horsemen.  By decree of the council the third kingdom, earth, is off limits until mankind grows into its own.  When they judge humans ready the seven seals will be broken, heaven and hell will be unleashed upon the earth, the horsemen will ride, but it will all be good because humans will be able to go toe to toe against angels and demons.  Of course something goes wrong and Armageddon comes early.  Earth is destroyed and War takes the fall for screwing it all up.  Flash forward 100 years and War is given a chance to prove his innocence and find out what really happened.  Stripped of his powers he is sent back to earth where everyone is his enemy.  Much fighting ensues.

As a last gen game the graphics are a bit dated.  Even 7 years ago they probably lagged a bit behind the top tier games like GoW, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.

The gameplay is pretty much like the God of War or Devil May Cry series.  You run around killing weaker enemies with the occasional boss fight thrown in.  In the process you gather souls which can be spent to unlock new attacks and abilities for your weapons.  Hidden away are chest to be found and opened. There are puzzles to be solved.  You know the drill.  Its execution is overall pretty good.  My only real complaint is that you can't get quite as close to the edge for a jump as I'm used to in other games.  You will fall.  Instead you have to get used to jumping a little earlier than recent platforming games have trained you to.

The story is generally OK.  The initial part is pretty straightforward, but they throw in some twists for the second half.  War himself doesn't give you a lot to work with.  He's the stoic @$$-kicking type that doesn't speak more than he has to.  I actually like the resolution in the final movie, so that's a plus.

Edited by Auberon
1 person likes this

I much preferred Darksiders to the second one...

Posted (edited)

Ultimate General - Civil War (PC)

I took the Confederacy from the attack on Fort Sumpter, through 40 or so battles. Couldn't quite break the Union at Gettysburg, but did make a second advance into Pennsylvania after Cold Harbor. I took the Army of Northern Virginia to the very gates of Washington in June 64 but the lack of manpower coming in from the southern states meant my once proud brigades and divisions were hollowed out and we were forced to fall back on Virginia where we lost Bull Run III and it was all over. Fun game but very difficult as the Rebs

The Federals being slaughtered at Fredricksburg:

Image result for ultimate general civil war

Edited by Beagle
2 people like this

Did the 20th Maine still hold Little round top and foil your northward rebel incursion?

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Did the 20th Maine still hold Little round top and foil your northward rebel incursion?

I think Chamberlain's boys probably met their end on the bayonets of my crack Louisiana 'Dove' brigade, as they stormed over Little Round top. Most of my troops ran out of ammo and couldn't hold the hills, so it was all back to camp for barbecued crayfish and Hagen Daas

1 person likes this

I used to play video games quite a bit but then just.. stopped. They lost their appeal to me for some reason. I find making campaign worlds, armies, and even whole games to be a much better way to spend my time. Rather than romping through someone else's world, I can make my own. Guess what? I'm the limiter in my worlds; I'm the prime mover. Much more imagination comes from a keyboard on a computer or pen, pencil, and paper.

That all being said, I do have two games that I still play sometimes: Skyrim and Borderlands. My primogenitors were Norwegian and I've always fancied myself as the descendant of a great Viking hero so I was instantly drawn to Skyrim. It didn't help my free time that it is an Elder Scrolls game. Fun fact: I failed some classes in college due to Oblivion :unsure:.

Borderlands rewards my want for the best game-engine-derived guns I can find. Those red chests... I tried the second Borderlands but was not impressed in the least. I find that each time I play the game, my most-loved tactic is to level-up beyond what is advised and search for the "best" gun I can find before completing the next mission.

Both Skyrim and Borderlands get played (or not played) at different times of the year. I'm seasonal in all things, it appears.

2 people like this

Darksiders II (PC)

I rather agree with Talae that the second entry is not as much fun as the first, but it's still good enough to pick up for $5 during one of the seasonal Steam sales.  Speaking of which, there is one of those going on right now.  I am still taking a pass on new purchases as I work through my old ones.

Anyway, DSII is set just after the events that open the first game, but before its completion.  Death wants to clear his brother's name and sets out on a quest to restore humanity.  Having just finished the first game and having that ending fresh in my mind, the premise of the sequel is disappointing.  I'm guessing they decided to use all four horsemen as a capstone game and went looking for some filler.  Death's quest is complicated by "corruption" which is slowly destroying all of creation.  In order to succeed, he will have to deal with corruption as well.

Gameplay is very similar to the first, as one expects with a sequel, though with a few differences.  Death is more agile than War and is good a dodging attacks rather than blocking them.  The game is also more RPG like than the first.  You collect gold instead of souls and just buy better equipment or pick it up from drops.  Upon leveling, Death gains a skill point which can be spent on one of two skill trees.  He does not get enough points to select everything, but you can reset your points for almost no cost and build anew.  One is martial (where I focused) while the other is magical and has a base skill using minions. 

The pack came with the DLCs.  I tried the first one, but only made it half an hour to an hour in before I had had my fill.  Looks like Darksiders is going on the back burner for awhile.

1 person likes this

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PC)

The Stick of Truth is an RPG take on the South Park franchise.  As you can guess by how soon I am posting this after my last game post, it is not a very long game.  A completionist will of course get more time out of it, but just story mode is less than 20 hours of playtime.  Other than length, how well does it do?

South Parkyness:  I'll admit, I haven't watched South Park in many years so I'm going by my memory of the show. With that caveat, the game is a very faithful adaptation.  It is crass, vulgar, NSFW, and politically incorrect in just about every way possible.  The characters that I can remember from the show got an appearance in the game, even if it was just a bit part.  So if you like the show this is a game for you; if you are easily offended stay far far away.  It very much earns its "M" rating.

Gameplay:  As a game it succeeds pretty well.  There are a few button mashing sequences that I could have done without, but overall it is faithful to the traditional RPG genre.  In fact, Canada is a classic top-down NES environment, though you don't spend a lot of time there.  You play as the "New Kid" and can equip a melee and ranged weapon as well as a helmet, armor, and gloves.  These are all slotted and can have bonuses added.  In addition there are many many possible cosmetic options that you find/purchase throughout the game that you can customize your character with.  There are four classes to choose from, but I only tried the warrior class.  You also get one buddy that travels with you (the kids from the show), each with their own strengths and weaknesses. 

The Port:  Pretty lazy.  If you pick this up through Steam I recommend playing on a controller.  There is no way to change key-bindings and a couple of the in-game hints are wrong - they have you pushing a key that doesn't work. 

1 person likes this