Auberon

Games - What You Finished Playing and What You Thought About It

I am Setsuna (Switch)

I am Setsuna is billed as a homage to the classic JRPGs of yesteryear, such as Chrono Trigger and the old Final Fantasy games.  The game uses a version of the ATB system that will be immediately familiar to anyone that has played the old Square-Enix games.  As the adventure progresses you gather together your motley crew, of which three characters form your active party while the rest chill in reserve.  You collect spritnite (think materia) that you slot into gear you pick up in order to gain spells and special attacks.  You battle a lot of mooks with some more powerful bosses mixed in, all leading to the ultimate battle.  Essentially it is how the old JRPGs worked, and yet after I finished the game it really felt like something was lacking.

So what's the matter?  After thinking about it for a bit there were a few things that detracted from the game.  First off the game is extremely linear.  Yes, JRPGs tend towards the linear, but the ones I like the best tend to break it up with something.  It may be side quests, it may be mini-games or general distractions like chocobo racing, or maybe some exploration.  I am Setsuna doesn't really have any of that.  It really becomes obvious when you get the obligatory airship (hey, it is a Square game) and start flying around to find... not much new.  Sure you can visit old areas to get stuff you missed or were forced to skip and there are a couple of places you couldn't get to before, but mostly it just feels empty.  It doesn't help that combat balance is slightly off.  General combat is pretty easy but some of the bosses have special attacks that can one-shot a PC or even TPK at pretty full health.  Towards the end of the game though I hit on a combo that allows for almost continuous MP generation.  After that even the final boss was pretty easy.

So what's the final verdict?  I don't think it's a game that's worth full retail but is good enough to pick up on sale.  If you have a passion for ATB RPGs I am Setsuna can scratch that itch, just don't expect it to match the classics.

6 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I loved Borderlands, that was the best game I'd played in 15 years.  So I'd heard good stuff about Borderlands 2 and bought that... and hated it so much I stopped playing video games altogether. 

Was kind of the other way around for me...  Loved the second one, but the pacing in the first just...  Killed that particular game for me.  Then again, second one had Krieg in it, so..... 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gadgetman!

About
      In 2011 the original Gameduino brought vintage gaming to the Arduino.
      In 2013 Gameduino 2 set a new standard in hand-held open-source gaming.
      Now Gameduino 3 raises the bar again. Even more processing power for your games and applications - plus real video playback, all using a regular Arduino.
      You'll need an HTML5 capable browser to see this content. Play Replay with sound   Play with
      sound 00:00 0:23                 It's completely compatible with the Gameduino 2, but adds even more graphics power, smooth video playback, and dozens of new features. Together with microSD storage for game assets, headphone audio output, and a top quality full-color 4.3 inch touch screen.
      Gameduino 3 is designed, tested, documented and the prototypes are built. The videos were all taken from the real hardware - everything you see is running on a stock Arduino with the prototypes. What needs to happen next is a manufacturing run. Your pledge gets you a Gameduino 3 from this first run.
      The Gameduino 3 uses an FT810 EVE, an integrated graphics processor that is backwards compatible with the FT800 in Gameduino 2, and has about 4X more power:
      video decompressor for full-screen 30 fps video 1 megabyte of onboard RAM, 1 gigapixel per second fill rate microSD card and audio output with sample playback high contrast 4.3" 480x272 LCD panel with resistive touch screen support for maps created with the Tiled Map Editor PNG image loading from microSD accelerated JPEG loader  hardware portrait/landscape orientation switching Full support for Arduino, ESP8266 and Teensy 3.2 online tools for graphics, audio, font and video preparation All these features are available from the GD library for Arduino, which now includes full support for both GD2 and GD3. The Gameduino 2 Cookbook will gain an extra chapter on the Gameduino 3's extra features.
      There are examples and code on the project page at http://excamera.com/sphinx/gameduino3/.
      The Gameduino 3 hardware, software and documentation is open-source (BSD license).
      Graphics used in the demos are by Kenney, and videos are from pixabay and the internet archive. The music is High School Snaps by Broke for Free.

• By Chaoswolf
      https://wizkids.com/...games-workshop/

Pretty much what it says on the tin. I'd be pretty shocked to see GW allow Wizkids to produce miniatures, unless they're way out of scale with GW's stuff, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of board games they come up with.

I'm also wondering if they're not looking for someone to take the place of the recently expired partnership with Fantasy Flight Games.
    • By Dilvish the Deliverer
      Hey all,

A friend of mine just opened a comic/MtG/vintage video game store.  The main focus is on comics but he would like to have some games available for customers to purchase.

He was looking at games that were less than $30, and I feel that as it's not his core business that he should stick to party games and games that have a comics related tie in.

My suggestions were:

Card Against Humanity (plenty of expansions)
      Red Flags
      Legendary: Marvel Deck building and expansions
      Munchkin (any super hero related version)

I know that there are a lot of people that play more board and party games than I do (most of what I listed I learned about at either RCon or NEMPA paint days), so I figured I would mine the experience of the Forum.  Any suggestions?  Feel free to give a brief description; I'm lazy and BGG is blocked from work anyways.
    • By HenryRequiem
      One of the most amazing discoveries I did during Reapercon 16 is that one of our beloved painters is covering the Overwatch Soldier 76 collector statue with glorious reaper paint and the current result (with just about 10% of the figure complete) is glorious. won;t post pictures because I begged her to post some in progress shots, but I was amazed by it! 

Which got me thinking, are there any other Overwatch players over here? If you are interested in playing with other Reaper folks please include your blizzard id and any preference for role/time. Not sure we can do organized play (we should be painting!) but at least we can have some new friends on our list! 

So, me first! 

Platform: PC 
      HenryRequiem-1307
      Lvl 82 
      Have mic, but rarely use it on Quick Play 
      I literally play every character except for Widowmaker (I can't aim to save my life), so I'm usually good at filling holes on team composition. On QP I let the system pick the character for me as practice with random characters. The ones I'm more effective with /pick when I'm interested in winning are Reinhardt or Junkrat. I do play a good enough support as well when no one does.

• By kristof65
      My son and I just found this series on YouTube:

Man at Arms: Reforged

Great series where a team of people at Baltimore Knife and Sword make various weapons from video games, comics, books and movies (among other things) and occasionally historical weapons, and show you how they make them. 
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)