Dead Bard Miniatures

Various Reaper Baddies + Elves: 77618, 91007, 14361, 02901, 77071, 03198

Welcome to the Forums.

I missed you first post.

These are awesome!

I really love the dark skin on the beastmen.

And that Golem looks great!

Your bases look really good too!

I'm more evil inclined too ( as to my favorite creatures to paint that is..)

Have fun, show more of your work.

Keep in mind Reaper likes us to make individual Show Off threads for minis.

And they do deserve a thread of their own.

Maybe more pics from each, from different angles.

Thx for sharing!

• Like 2

I like your approach.  There's a definite style here, a sort of rich colors / dramatic contrast / large (for a given value of "large") geometric shapes aesthetic going.  It reminds me of some of the Art Deco printmakers and decorative sculptors of the 1920s.

Your faces don't look terrible (You painted expressive eyes in all of them!).  They match the rest of the style nicely.

You might wish to consider doing some lining to bring out details.  To be sure, it would give a very different feel to your style, which is already pretty interesting as it is.  Maybe just mild lining with a medium grey-brown on the faces?

It looks to me as though some of the shading on these figures may come from the lighting in your photographs.  (One way to tell is to take a flash photograph of the figure to compare and see if the colors flatten out and the details get lost.)  That's one of the reasons miniatures painters developed the exaggerated shading and lining style which may be less noticeable in the hand and on the table, but makes a dramatic difference in display photography.

But I'll be honest, these look nice and distinctive as they are.  And painting things to optimize how they look in photos is only one path out of many possibilities.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 2

Really beautiful work.  I like what you did with the bone fiend, I got that mini in a lot purchase from ebay and honestly I didn't know what it was or how it would look good.  You made it look so wonderful!

• Like 1

Good looking minis with good looking bases!  Welcome and please share more!

• Like 1

Nice to meet you. I have been voting for your minis on C.M.o.N. for awhile in the vain hopes of boosting your scores to a level that reflects their quality...there are a hard core of miserable, so & sos that seem to get their jollys dumping low scores on good minis inhabiting that place.

All that aside, you do some SPLENDID pieces in a FINE array of colors with consistently nice & often BEAUTIFUL  bases. These are a some EXCELLENT examples of your work. VERY NICELY DONE!

Post here more often & save your morale from the C.M.o.N. buffeting.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

Nice to meet you. I have been voting for your minis on C.M.o.N. for awhile in the vain hopes of boosting your scores to a level that reflects their quality...there are a hard core of miserable, so & sos that seem to get their jollys dumping low scores on good minis inhabiting that place.

All that aside, you do some SPLENDID pieces in a FINE array of colors with consistently nice & often BEAUTIFUL  bases. These are a some EXCELLENT examples of your work. VERY NICELY DONE!

Post here more often & save your morale from the C.M.o.N. buffeting.

Thanks Malefactus!

Yeah, no joke one of the first times I posted there someone publicly commented pretty bluntly that I wasn't good enough to upload pictures there and to go elsewhere. I thought wow, that takes nerve! 

Some other folks did offer constructive advice following his comment.

• Like 3

That's good advice on the shading and edging Pingo! I'll have to try it. I've read a lot lately about trying to paint outside our habit/comfort zones, especially with shading/contrasts, as a way to expand our skills.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I did take photos from a few angles too so I'll have share them next time! And not a year from now this time!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dead Bard Miniatures said:

Thanks Malefactus!

Yeah, no joke one of the first times I posted there someone publicly commented pretty bluntly that I wasn't good enough to upload pictures there and to go elsewhere. I thought wow, that takes nerve! 

Some other folks did offer constructive advice following his comment.

It is my pleasure. You do some fine work. The very least you should expect from Fellow Miniature Folk is a word of encouragement & a bit of advice when appropriate.

Good work all around!

Welcome to the forum! Please don't wait another year before you post again.:poke:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GreenBeams
      Hello all!

I'm really trying to learn about sculpting for miniatures and here's my current project:

It's a Golem from artist Chris Walton

It's just at the Armature phase right now but i've started to block in my major shape masses. I'll post that when i get a bit further.

Any help/suggestions/direction on how to make this more viable for print at around 30mm would be most appreciated!

All the best, 
      Andrew Cothill

• By londwch
      Okay so I dug around in the drawer and pulled out six unpainted bones that I got in my batch that I bought.

I gave them all a thorough scrub with a brush and warm soapy water and a toothbrush.  The ogre needed straightening up so I poured hot water over to readjust and then under cold to set.

I attached all six using superglue to fender washer bases.  I got this tip on you tube and have been sticking to it since I started this process.  They are running out so I will look for an alternative afterwards.  But these are good and solid and make a good base.

So now I have to decide which figure to work on....

I have not primed any and up until now I have primed using "151" matt black spray paint.  I did not know exactly what to use so I tried this when I began.   

I did pick up slightly after the photo and start to apply some blue to the Anhurian soldier using the same blue I mixed for a figure I was painting late last night.  But without primer it did not seem to want to settle very well.

The two figures I have seen painted are by Doctor Faust ; the hell hound and the ogre.   

Any comments/suggestions or generally helpful advice is gratefully welcomed.

• By Adrift
      More work on getting my groove back. I've never really attempted an aged bronze, and I really enjoyed the gemstones.

• By Guindyloo
      Hello fine people (and other assorted things) of the Reaper forum!

Continuing in our project of teaming up to show you two different methods to go about painting the same miniature, Buglips and I decided that we would do a WIP thread for Con Crud, Convention Zombie from the 2017 Reapercon swag bag! He's a great little figure, sculpted by Gene Van Horne, that we thought we could have some fun with.

This will be our second shared WIP thread in this series of ours, in case you missed it, check out our first one where we painted Thanis the Bonecaller:

As with that one, I will be covering my usual method of painting for display, and Buglips will be approaching the figure with his own usual "fast-but-decent method." As with the last one, Buglips' method will be much faster than mine will be and you'll get to see where our two styles diverge. We will be sharing our own issues, thoughts and methods with you in the hopes that someone will find such things useful.

So on to the mini!
      Here's my Con Crud, fresh out of his blister:

I prepped him in my usual way, with some diamond files to grind off the mold lines and bit of flash that you can see on his outstretched foot and hand. He has some notable mold lines through his hair and back and down the left (his left) side of his face. I'll show you throughout the process how I'll tackle those.

So here he is after I primed him with Reaper's Brush-On Primer in white, thinned down with some water. As usual, I only did one thin coat so as not to obscure the details on him and I took a couple of additional shots from different angles so you can see some of the mold lines that I'll need to work on a little more down the road.

• By buglips*the*goblin
      Want more WIP threads like this one?  Check these out!
      01614 Con Crud 

Hello again, friends and neighbours! 

Several years ago, after the Bones I kickstarter, I made a thread to help people who had just signed up for a ridiculous amount of Bones minis get used to painting and encourage them to just jump right on in!  This thread was even more successful than I thought and, much to my astonishment, brings new people to our hobby even today.  I thought it was time for a fresh update that might be just as helpful, and maybe give us something to point new people to when they first decide to pick up a brush and become One of Us.

Often when new people come by and have no idea where to start, the first general question is: what are your aims and requirements?  This basically breaks down to: do you need pieces done for a game, or do you want to paint just to paint?  The idea behind this WIP is to give us something to show people the difference in practice.  So with the able assistance of Guindyloo, I will be painting Thanis in my usual fast-but-decent method and she will show us how nice things can be when you spend some time on them. 

There are, of course, many ways to paint a mini so this thread is just an example of our present working methods and by no means serve as the only way to do it, or the final word on the matter.  Those of you just joining our hobby may have your own ideas about how to do things, and by all means you should use your own best judgment!  All we do here is just give you some things to think about.

So on to the mini you came in here to see, and I hope this thread proves useful! 

Here's my Thanis, fresh from her blister pack:

• Who's Online   34 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)