Dead Bard Miniatures

Various Reaper Baddies + Elves: 77618, 91007, 14361, 02901, 77071, 03198

13 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Forums.

I missed you first post.

These are awesome!

I really love the dark skin on the beastmen.

And that Golem looks great!

Your bases look really good too!

I'm more evil inclined too ( as to my favorite creatures to paint that is..)

Have fun, show more of your work.

Keep in mind Reaper likes us to make individual Show Off threads for minis.

And they do deserve a thread of their own.

Maybe more pics from each, from different angles.

Thx for sharing!

2 people like this

Nice work! I like the metal on the golem especially. 

1 person likes this

Nice job and welcome to the forums!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I like your approach.  There's a definite style here, a sort of rich colors / dramatic contrast / large (for a given value of "large") geometric shapes aesthetic going.  It reminds me of some of the Art Deco printmakers and decorative sculptors of the 1920s.

Your faces don't look terrible (You painted expressive eyes in all of them!).  They match the rest of the style nicely.

You might wish to consider doing some lining to bring out details.  To be sure, it would give a very different feel to your style, which is already pretty interesting as it is.  Maybe just mild lining with a medium grey-brown on the faces?

It looks to me as though some of the shading on these figures may come from the lighting in your photographs.  (One way to tell is to take a flash photograph of the figure to compare and see if the colors flatten out and the details get lost.)  That's one of the reasons miniatures painters developed the exaggerated shading and lining style which may be less noticeable in the hand and on the table, but makes a dramatic difference in display photography.

But I'll be honest, these look nice and distinctive as they are.  And painting things to optimize how they look in photos is only one path out of many possibilities.

Edited by Pingo
2 people like this

Really beautiful work.  I like what you did with the bone fiend, I got that mini in a lot purchase from ebay and honestly I didn't know what it was or how it would look good.  You made it look so wonderful!

1 person likes this

Good looking minis with good looking bases!  Welcome and please share more!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Nice to meet you. I have been voting for your minis on C.M.o.N. for awhile in the vain hopes of boosting your scores to a level that reflects their quality...there are a hard core of miserable, so & sos that seem to get their jollys dumping low scores on good minis inhabiting that place.

All that aside, you do some SPLENDID pieces in a FINE array of colors with consistently nice & often BEAUTIFUL  bases. These are a some EXCELLENT examples of your work. VERY NICELY DONE!

Post here more often & save your morale from the C.M.o.N. buffeting.

Edited by malefactus
5 people like this

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

Nice to meet you. I have been voting for your minis on C.M.o.N. for awhile in the vain hopes of boosting your scores to a level that reflects their quality...there are a hard core of miserable, so & sos that seem to get their jollys dumping low scores on good minis inhabiting that place.

All that aside, you do some SPLENDID pieces in a FINE array of colors with consistently nice & often BEAUTIFUL  bases. These are a some EXCELLENT examples of your work. VERY NICELY DONE!

Post here more often & save your morale from the C.M.o.N. buffeting.

Thanks Malefactus!

Yeah, no joke one of the first times I posted there someone publicly commented pretty bluntly that I wasn't good enough to upload pictures there and to go elsewhere. I thought wow, that takes nerve! 

Some other folks did offer constructive advice following his comment.

3 people like this

That's good advice on the shading and edging Pingo! I'll have to try it. I've read a lot lately about trying to paint outside our habit/comfort zones, especially with shading/contrasts, as a way to expand our skills.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I did take photos from a few angles too so I'll have share them next time! And not a year from now this time!

2 people like this

16 minutes ago, Dead Bard Miniatures said:

Thanks Malefactus!

Yeah, no joke one of the first times I posted there someone publicly commented pretty bluntly that I wasn't good enough to upload pictures there and to go elsewhere. I thought wow, that takes nerve! 

Some other folks did offer constructive advice following his comment.

It is my pleasure. You do some fine work. The very least you should expect from Fellow Miniature Folk is a word of encouragement & a bit of advice when appropriate.

These are all so nice. I gotta say, that first beastman came out especially beastly! Just love how dark you made him. 

Good work all around!

Welcome to the forum! Please don't wait another year before you post again.:poke: