Dead Bard Miniatures

Various Reaper Baddies + Elves: 77618, 91007, 14361, 02901, 77071, 03198

Welcome to the Forums.

I missed you first post.

These are awesome!

I really love the dark skin on the beastmen.

And that Golem looks great!

Your bases look really good too!

I'm more evil inclined too ( as to my favorite creatures to paint that is..)

Have fun, show more of your work.

Keep in mind Reaper likes us to make individual Show Off threads for minis.

And they do deserve a thread of their own.

Maybe more pics from each, from different angles.

Thx for sharing!

• Like 2

I like your approach.  There's a definite style here, a sort of rich colors / dramatic contrast / large (for a given value of "large") geometric shapes aesthetic going.  It reminds me of some of the Art Deco printmakers and decorative sculptors of the 1920s.

Your faces don't look terrible (You painted expressive eyes in all of them!).  They match the rest of the style nicely.

You might wish to consider doing some lining to bring out details.  To be sure, it would give a very different feel to your style, which is already pretty interesting as it is.  Maybe just mild lining with a medium grey-brown on the faces?

It looks to me as though some of the shading on these figures may come from the lighting in your photographs.  (One way to tell is to take a flash photograph of the figure to compare and see if the colors flatten out and the details get lost.)  That's one of the reasons miniatures painters developed the exaggerated shading and lining style which may be less noticeable in the hand and on the table, but makes a dramatic difference in display photography.

But I'll be honest, these look nice and distinctive as they are.  And painting things to optimize how they look in photos is only one path out of many possibilities.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 2

Really beautiful work.  I like what you did with the bone fiend, I got that mini in a lot purchase from ebay and honestly I didn't know what it was or how it would look good.  You made it look so wonderful!

• Like 1

Nice to meet you. I have been voting for your minis on C.M.o.N. for awhile in the vain hopes of boosting your scores to a level that reflects their quality...there are a hard core of miserable, so & sos that seem to get their jollys dumping low scores on good minis inhabiting that place.

All that aside, you do some SPLENDID pieces in a FINE array of colors with consistently nice & often BEAUTIFUL  bases. These are a some EXCELLENT examples of your work. VERY NICELY DONE!

Post here more often & save your morale from the C.M.o.N. buffeting.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

Nice to meet you. I have been voting for your minis on C.M.o.N. for awhile in the vain hopes of boosting your scores to a level that reflects their quality...there are a hard core of miserable, so & sos that seem to get their jollys dumping low scores on good minis inhabiting that place.

All that aside, you do some SPLENDID pieces in a FINE array of colors with consistently nice & often BEAUTIFUL  bases. These are a some EXCELLENT examples of your work. VERY NICELY DONE!

Post here more often & save your morale from the C.M.o.N. buffeting.

Thanks Malefactus!

Yeah, no joke one of the first times I posted there someone publicly commented pretty bluntly that I wasn't good enough to upload pictures there and to go elsewhere. I thought wow, that takes nerve! 

Some other folks did offer constructive advice following his comment.

• Like 3

That's good advice on the shading and edging Pingo! I'll have to try it. I've read a lot lately about trying to paint outside our habit/comfort zones, especially with shading/contrasts, as a way to expand our skills.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I did take photos from a few angles too so I'll have share them next time! And not a year from now this time!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dead Bard Miniatures said:

Thanks Malefactus!

Yeah, no joke one of the first times I posted there someone publicly commented pretty bluntly that I wasn't good enough to upload pictures there and to go elsewhere. I thought wow, that takes nerve! 

Some other folks did offer constructive advice following his comment.

It is my pleasure. You do some fine work. The very least you should expect from Fellow Miniature Folk is a word of encouragement & a bit of advice when appropriate.

Good work all around!

Welcome to the forum! Please don't wait another year before you post again.:poke:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crowley
      As I said on my Saproling's topic, I had today off, so...  I decided that in addition to the saprolings, I'd knock out some tabletop quality ghouls. They were already assembled and primed, so the first thing was to paint the undead flesh. I used Vampire Shadow for their sickly skin. It didn't quite match the ghoul I'd painted before, but it was close enough. I sadly didn't always take good notes...

After that I decided that as these were primarily going to be gaming ghouls, and not for a unified force for Kings of War, they'd each get their own clothing color: Red, Green, Blue, Tan, and Dark Brown. I used Rusty Red, Muddy Olive, Rich Indigo, Desert Stone, and Ruddy Flesh. The eyes were all painted with Walnut Brown, as were the spikes sticking out of them. 

Then I washed them all with a mix of 4 parts sepia wash and 1 part black wash. 

A little bit of highlighting with the base clothing color, then it was time to paint the bases black, and then flock them! Oh, and a bit of watered down rusty red around the mouth.

Oh, and aged pewter on the spikes and the cleaver. 

Looking good for such quick work.  
    • By Painting Miniatures
      I plan on posting something a little more friendly looking very shortly. coughwyrmgeardragoncough but in the mean time I painted this for fun and practice!

Also would take some advice on dealing with small details like a face. On this miniature it was nearly impossible to just paint specific details of the face without smooshing the entire face with paint. I'd wanted to give the figure blood red eyes. That didn't work out and I ended up painting over the face in white to start over again.

I do overall like how this miniature turned out. The bones aren't crispy perfect white, the clothes look like a creature that's been walking through mud and dirt for a long time. Didn't know how to paint the base so I went with some of my extra black wash which worked out as it sort of made it look like it was standing on bone.

Tried a new technique on the scythe. I did the base coat as filigree silver, then I did a paint of dragons blood red, then when that dried i went over it again with the black wash to give it this dried blood effect. A technique that is probably standard but one I personally just learned by experimenting!

• By Sanael
      Six skellies, painted quickly during several lunch breaks, with little intent other than to be available for the table.

Given the state of their weapons, it is ironic that I used them to "knock the rust off" a few of my skills.

Color coded for ease of D&D mook-murder. I had a little fun with some traditional heraldic divisions on the shields.

Paints are all Reaper MSP. Blackened Brown played a large role, as did a lovely fleshy-toned sample paint.

... Pictures are quite bad, actually. I may reshoot at home.
    • By Talae
      I picked up an airbrush kit on sale back in November. It came with two brushes, a compressor, and some other stuff.

Here is a picture:

The brush that I have been using mostly so far is the Badger Patriot 105. I say mostly because I have sprayed paint through it more than once, lol. I started with the bottom fed one (the 350) for one sitting of like 30 minutes, then tried another sitting with the 105 for like 30 minutes.

I have since used the 105 for something like three sittings of 30-60 minutes. My total airbrush experience is something like 2.5 hours plus another 1.5 hours of cleaning and practice assembly.

I have primarily just tried primers. The latest attempt has been applying Vallejo Surface Primer (black) to some of the graveyard set, namely the crypt and the fencing.

Here are those results (minus a rogue golem arm that missed being airbrushed until I cleaned up and was later brushed with the same color in order to prevent having to clean the airbrush for one piece):

I am thinking that I might try and use my Dwarven Forge paints to make this match the Dungeon terrain I have, but am not sure yet...and if I do go that route, would it be better to go with my typical dry rush route or should I be trying to apply colors on top of this with the airbrush? Or is there a different approach that I should be taking?
    • By NyarlaBcn
      I received this amazing mini from a friend as a birthday gift, so I was extra motivated to give it a lot of work. That's the Patrick Keith version, bigger than Chaz Elliot's one: a great wingspan, somber looking. 
      I've seen several paint jobs here to get some inspiration. Many people decided to go full with the spectral theme; blue lights, blue eyes. IMO, although it looked great, the overall impression wasn't enough that of an angel of the depths made with driftwood, but something newer and too colorful for what I was thinking. 

So instead I went with a very dry palette: just black, brown, grey and rusty metals. I wanted to convey it as if its driftwood dried for days in the sun of some beach, just to be driven back to the seas, and to the beach again, on a neverending cycle. Worn wood, sundried, rotten, thorn; old wood, tired, greyish thanks to the salt and the wind. 
      I couldn't capture it on the photos but the only spark of color is on its eyes: a ghoulish green reminiscent of its spectral nature. Overall it actually looks pretty basic, simpler than these other works you can find on google, but... I'm happy with the outcome. 

BTW lately I've been invested on my instagram account: it's only for miniature painting works. I would love if you people give me a follow, and feedback :D it's @albertnyarla

• Who's Online   37 Members, 3 Anonymous, 117 Guests (See full list)