Baldur8762

How long do you paint for?

53 posts in this topic

I am just curious to see how long people generally spend painting when they actually sit down to paint?

I have been dying to paint lately but I can't invest a long time span.  Sometimes I feel like I have to "Set Up" and that it takes a long time, but tonight I decided that I just needed to paint, even if it was just some lining from my current project from the Layer up kit. I guess I surprised myself because in my mind I always assume I need a lot of time to paint. It took only about 30 minutes, cleaning up and all. 

7 people like this

Like all my hobbies,  i spend 99% of every day dreaming of my projects.. Then i sit at my desk,  spend forever and a day setting up. Examine my mini for like half an hour imagining the colors i want,  paint like 1 layer,  then get distracted looking up some crazy idea i had while painting.  

Actual painting time?  Maybe 5 mins to an hour.. yes i know i have a problem... 

7 people like this

I used to be able to paint for hours. I'd get off work at 1030p, get home around 11p, eat and change clothes, put some music on, and then get to slapping on layers. I'd do this until 1 or 2a. Those were the days.

Now? Maybe 45 minutes if I lose track of time. Any more than that and I'm in even more pain than normal. The same goes for building and/or cleaning up a model.

7 people like this

I respectfully decline to answer the question on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.

11 people like this

Anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.  It helps that my paint space is "set up" all the time, and when I am done I only have to clean my brush and turn the lights off. 

6 people like this

Since I moved in with my girlfriend I do not have a dedicated hobby area.

I need to set it up on the dining table or when the sun shines, on the garden table.

Setting it up takes 15 minutes, as does breaking it down.

So when I got spare time and want to paint, I usually take my time.

Mostly I paint for 2 up to 6 hours in a row then.

Sometimes I can store it all nearby ( on the bench of Brutus, and then after dinner back on the table) for the next day.

I sometimes get some stuff downstairs for little work, like prepping or modelling.

Upside..long painting sessions,

Downside... no quick sessions and I really need to want getting it all downstairs.

As many of us do...I dream about painting and modelling during the workday, then when I get home, I often lack the energy to do so.

I got my eyes on the future, one day one or both of the stepvixens will leave the nest, so I can get more room for the hobby.

On the other hand, before I moved in, I lived further away, had a bigger place with a dedicated hobby room.

As much as I loved it, I love my girl more...

Anyway, I do love my painting sessions, I always put the laptop near me, playing music, browsing the forum in between and looking at reference pics.

The best times are when it is sunny and I can set it all up in the garden.

10 people like this

I tend to paint for an hour or two every other day or so.

I would like to paint for longer, or at least paint every day, but the lure of just vegging out and watching TV or Internetting is too strong most of the time.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

As many of us do...I dream about painting and modelling during the workday, then when I get home, I often lack the energy to do so.

Oh this is exactly how I have spent the last several months with school and everything. I get home so exhausted that I can't even consider concentrating on painting. Getting older is no fun.

Edited by Baldur8762
4 people like this

When I feel the day would be wasted if I don't paint, it is often just 15 minutes. When I feel I can paint to my heart's content, it might be an hour. I'm in the group with low energy after coming back home from work, so it's generally a weekend thing only. I do try to paint at least a little on Tuesdays, as those are the days I've set to do my painting videos. Been uninspired for quite a while, so nothing been in the works to actually paint for.

8 people like this

It varies.  Sometimes it's only 15-20 minutes (I have a permanent area set up; whether it's clean enough to paint on is another story).  When I was in the groove, I was painting on the forum Hangout's almost every night for 1-3 hours.  Now it's maybe 1-3 nights a week.  And when I get together for paint day, I'll paint for 6-7 hours straight (with occasional breaks for food and browsing the stores stock).

6 people like this

I don't start painting unless I have at least 2 hours available.  A typical session for me is about 3 hours (with a break mid-way for a cup of tea).  I paint glacially slowly, so I don't necessarily get a lot done in that time.  Setup and takedown require just a few minutes each.

6 people like this

60-90 minutes most weeknights. We'll see how that changes once I move into the apartment and no longer have a dedicated(ish) hobby area.

8 people like this

The longest I've spent was about 12 hours straight: a buddy was playing Starcraft next to me and we'd chat back and forth... and it was glorious. Now that was about 20 years, 2 marriages, a divorce and 2 kids ago...  

Nowadays I get anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours with the occasional 3+ hour stint.  Wet pallet and a permanent set-up are key to this.  Sometimes my 15 minutes is simply blasting a coat of primer or varnish on a model or adding a quick wash to part of the model.  On pieces that get a bit more attention and care, with the wet pallet I've been able to open it up, do the next round of highlights on an area, rinse brush, close the pallet up again in under 15 minutes.  

My goal is to do something hobby related (and this can include some tidying of my unruly space) every day.  I'd say I accomplish this about 4 days a week now.  

8 people like this

I usually try to have at least an hour available and will generally go anywhere from 1 - 3 hours though with a fair amount of break in between to rest my back, eyes, talk to the wife, etc.  For me, I'm a slow painter and I usually like to feel as though I accomplished something when I get the chance to paint, hence the roughly hour minimum that I strive for. 

7 people like this

I have a dedicated area that is already set up, so I paint almost every day. But I've got a lot going on right now and so that means I am only painting for about 20-30 min a day.

Although, even under ideal circumstances where I had less on my plate I'd probably paint about 30-60 min a day--not that much more. When it is like that it's more satisfying, 20-30 min a day doesn't quite feel like enough.

7 people like this