James-

Warlock and Raven : 03381, 02969

This is super! If this is only your 7th, I can't wait to see what you are painting in a month or a year! Nicely done and welcome to the forums!

• Like 6

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

I used "green stuff" sculpting putty and formed that shape, pressed the Raven model and warlock model in, then used rocks I found outside to press into the putty for texture. Then just paint.

IMG_1436.JPG

Edited by James-
  • Like 11

You are well on your way to being a master of the brush. 7th mini? Could've fooled us! Excellent work, keep it up! :) 

• Like 2

That is one nice warlock! Love the gem on the staff and the freehand on the scroll.  And the rock texture on the base is very convincing.  I also appreciate the backstory.  The raven deserves a name.  How about "Pickins?"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

That is one nice warlock! Love the gem on the staff and the freehand on the scroll.  And the rock texture on the base is very convincing.  I also appreciate the backstory.  The raven deserves a name.  How about "Pickins?"

Thanks! Pickins isn't a bad suggestion I may just use that during our next D&D session!

Edited by James-

the basing WORKED!!! I loved the stone work... yes I am envious. Shading works just fine. The gemstones bag and scroll are nice little touches, Can we see the face?....its tough on this guy... I have painted him in bones... nightmare

AJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amuller33 said:

the basing WORKED!!! I loved the stone work... yes I am envious. Shading works just fine. The gemstones bag and scroll are nice little touches, Can we see the face?....its tough on this guy... I have painted him in bones... nightmare

AJ

Of everything on the model I was least pleased with the skin. I was trying to go for a very pale with a tinge of blue and after trying a few different things:

-first normal skin tone with a blue wash

-didn't like it so I tried to go over it with a very thin white to brighten and smooth

-didn't like that and did a flesh tone wash over it... things were going poorly at this point

-then added a very light blue and said well I guess that's as good as it's getting...

any tips on achieving a smooth light blue skin would be great.

IMG_1467.JPG

• Like 6

Light blue with many thin layers of white (mostly linen), being careful to leave blue around the edges inthe shadows, then bright white as a high light.  See below:

Spoiler

group.jpg.7675bf946e12b116b41dd261f99894d8.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

Light blue with many thin layers of white (mostly linen), being careful to leave blue around the edges inthe shadows, then bright white as a high light.

Thanks! Those look awesome. I'll have to try that out.

Seriously great job!! I'm only on my third mini and i think i just figured out a few things (aka techniques to try) looking at these pics zoomed in. Thanks for posting :winkthumbs:

Edited by DaemonDoesMinis
  • Like 2