NecroMancer

Eyes the bane of my existence ×

36 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 72moonglum said:

I haven't had to do it for a while, but I found that if I ever screwed up an eye and yet still wanted to continue, I could often scrape the paint off the defective eye, reprime, cover again in walnut brown, and try the eye again without having to actually give up and give the figure a Pinesol bath. 

The problem after too many attempts on a single eye for me was the paint began to build up and after a certain point the surface became kind of deformed. 

Actually that is exactly what I did and I kept messing it up so that I HAD to give it a soak.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, knarthex said:

They could be false eyebrows...

100 pairs of Groucho glasses ...

16 hours ago, ced1106 said:

The faceless is actually a VERY good mini, because you don't have to worry about the eyes all pointing in the same direction!

Ooh, but wouldn't it be subtly disturbing if they were ...

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Ooh, but wouldn't it be subtly disturbing if they were ...

Ooo...that is an absolutely fantabulous idea! It would also give excellent practice for different eye positions, too. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D

1 person likes this

I would agree with what most have said . The best way I found was to paint it black then white leaving a slight black outline. When you go to paint the eyeball and iris youll want to have it closer to the bridge of the nose instead of being in the middle. If you put them in the middle it will give the bug eyed looked. Ill build up the color of the eyeball with 4 or 5 overlapping white layers and for the iris it usually requires two very tiny dots on the white which i usually go over twice. Heres an example 

18156929_10211552275195672_4701990080142490156_n.jpg

1 person likes this

While there have been some awesome suggestions for painting eyes in general here, I think that probably your biggest issue is that specific figure rather than it being you. The right side (her right) of her face was pretty mangled for me and it made the eye extremely difficult to get right, so if your copy is similar, then you're being too hard on yourself.

What I did to get it to look ok was put all of my effort into getting the dark outline to be the same basic shape as the one that wasn't messed up, then I added a white blob and then a black blob and didn't attempt any further detail. Definitely do the messed up eye first, then match the position of the iris in the good eye to the bad eye. Any more detail than that on a mold defective eye is just going to drive you insane.

5 people like this

On 5/15/2017 at 10:41 AM, Guindyloo said:

While there have been some awesome suggestions for painting eyes in general here, I think that probably your biggest issue is that specific figure rather than it being you. The right side (her right) of her face was pretty mangled for me and it made the eye extremely difficult to get right, so if your copy is similar, then you're being too hard on yourself.

What I did to get it to look ok was put all of my effort into getting the dark outline to be the same basic shape as the one that wasn't messed up, then I added a white blob and then a black blob and didn't attempt any further detail. Definitely do the messed up eye first, then match the position of the iris in the good eye to the bad eye. Any more detail than that on a mold defective eye is just going to drive you insane.

Yeah this was exactly my problem.  Since there was basically a hole on the right side of her face I took some putty and worked it in there the best I could.  It seemed to work ok and I was able to get something that I was satisfied with.

Thank you everyone for your tips on how to do eyes and misery loves company so I am glad to hear I am not the only one who struggles with this.