DaemonDoesMinis

From cool to Meh... 2nd thoughts.

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So.... have you ever started something you thought looked cool as hell... then way into it you just go "$&@% balls!!!"? Kinda what i'm feelin for this piece. Its my third and for a d&d campaign. its basically supposed to be a dark elf sorcerrer but since my elf wizard mini I had on hand at the time was ... well defective on arrival. I figured it was close enough and i'd swap him in (hence my attempt at a fire sword to give any indication of the fire heavy wizard i actually am playing). I primed in dark grey which is what i had at the time. (wish i'd waited for black for this color scheme) found out gun metal sucks on grey... first "meh". Wanted the red to be a bit more catchy so mixed it with metallic silver....wasnt using wet palette at begining so the paint frequently dried and subsequent batches werent always same...so now I almost get the feel this guys going glam..... second "Meh". Other player uses an elf but a ranger, I wanted this guy a paler tone but it just seems to close to the hair I'd done.... third "MEH". At this point i dont think I even like the model really. Think I was rushing to make the weekend dead line to have the three minis done with this being the last one.... any thoughts to possibly save this one from the green bath of shame? (at this point I'd rather play one of my spiders) :wacko:IMG_4631.thumb.JPG.8d36fd65181488dd8e5c15edb90f3072.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4693.JPG

IMG_4694.JPG

Edited by DaemonDoesMinis
8 people like this

Spiders could use some highlights. One trick is to put the model under bright light and paint the highlights where the light hits the model. 

How does the sorceress look from one and two feet away? Since it's a dark elf, I'd expect it to be grey (perhaps a glaze), but I've seen them all sorts of color.

At this point, though, I'd start painting any unpainted miniatures you need to do.

1 person likes this

I like the sword personally.

I find that we are always our worst critics! First of all, I really like your spiders. For your wizard guy, I do not think he looks bad at all. Those are way better eyes than I managed on my third mini so kudos on that! I think if it were me, I would do a soft wash on the hair to settle into the crevices and it give it some definition. Than maybe dry brush a little for highlights. That should give the hair some definition.

Also, for future projects, you can basecoat after you have primed to give your paints an undertone. Warm golds can look nice with a red or brown basecoat. Your silvers and gunmetals can have black, grey, blue basecoats. You are right that your primer will affect your coiors but you can counter some of that with basecoats. You would have had a hard time achieving pale skin with a black primer. It can be done but requires lots of layering.

Anyway, I think with just a little tweaking, you can have him ready to hit the table!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

If you want a quick fix I'd say lather a dark tone wash over everything but the skin, hair and flame sword and it will really add some shading. You could do a flesh was over the skin too for a quick shade. But listen to these other guys I've only started painting too.

I too think the flame sword is awesome!

Edited by James-
2 people like this

Totally salvageable!

Firstly; it's not that bad!  It's not bad at all.

I would suggest highlighting a bit more.  The grey and brown areas are a bit flat.

For the armoury bits; I would suggest washing the recesses with a really thinned black.

I'm digging the sword too!  Nicely done.

1 person likes this

Don't fret! These are super work-able. I'd agree with others, start with the washes for some shading, and then some highlighting. You have great color schemes to work with. You're well en route to making these great :) 

1 person likes this

I don't think there is anything wrong with your work!  It looks good for such an early attempt.  I Pochi makes a great point, we are always our own worst critics.  Don't doubt yourself!

1 person likes this

40 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with your work!  It looks good for such an early attempt.  I Pochi makes a great point, we are always our own worst critics.  Don't doubt yourself!

THIS!!!

Looks fine!

And you'll get better with every mini!!!

Don't worry too much, you're doing fine!

1 person likes this

He is looking kind of glam...which can be a good thing!  If you keep him this way, some delineation between the colors would make him pop and confuse the eyes less.  He could tone down the lipstick to a softer shade (to match his fairness), but otherwise I think he looks cool.

James-' idea of a quick dark wash over just about everything would tie the colors together as well as provide some shadows.  Don't shade the sword though:  it looks fine.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Spiders could use some highlights. One trick is to put the model under bright light and paint the highlights where the light hits the model. 

How does the sorceress look from one and two feet away? Since it's a dark elf, I'd expect it to be grey (perhaps a glaze), but I've seen them all sorts of color.

At this point, though, I'd start painting any unpainted miniatures you need to do.

the charater ( i forgot the character name, is a dark elf yes, but my character was a high elf) i was using what i had on had to sub for ahigh elf wizard. so no dark skin was intended.

thanks for the highlight tip... i was using the spiders in that pic in a mat spray experament... hence the shiny one on the left.... dont by walmart craft section mat clear spray folks!

Edited by DaemonDoesMinis
Cause you shoundn't type after a sleeping pill..... just say'n

thanks for all the feed back guys! questions though: i'm using vallejo... and almost every tutorial uses citadel... so i was wondering for the "dark wash" umber, sephia (sp?), or black wash?

7 hours ago, Pochi said:

I think if it were me, I would do a soft wash on the hair to settle into the crevices and it give it some definition. Than maybe dry brush a little for highlights. That should give the hair some definition.

I washed it with an umber i think to get shade in the many many little holes and waves.... those holes seemed to make bubbles too which added a kind of unwanted texture.  But, what do you mean by "soft wash" if you dont mind me asking?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hi!  And welcome to the forums! ::):

First off, I have to echo that, especially for only your third mini ever, that is actually remarkably good!  At this stage in your painting journey, you are already doing the most important thing of all:  getting paint of the right color in the right places.  And that alone is the single most important thing for painting good miniatures!

It is, of course, up to you, but I am a firm proponent of NOT cleaning miniatures with the intent of starting over.  The surface is just never quite as good, and you lose an excellent example of some of your earlier work which you will one day enjoy looking back on and thinking "Wow!  This is where I started, but look at me now!".

As far as ways to improve the mini, others are right in that quick washes of black or brown over the darker areas of the mini will help to pull out some of the detail.  Likewise, washes of somewhat lighter colors (like a sepia or light orange-brown) over the hair and skin can help draw things out there too.  I'm assuming that is what was meant by a "soft" wash (as opposed to a darker, "hard" wash?).  Alternatively, that could have been a reference to Army Painter's line of inks/washes which have names like "Dark Tone", "Strong Tone", "Soft Tone", etc.  By the way, those Army Painter washes actually are pretty good compared to the other offerings on the market (and WAY better than the current GW offerings, in my opinion) and a great tool for this stage of your painting journey.

Keep up the great work, don't get discouraged, and be sure to ask lots of questions!  If you do those things, you'll be better than you even thought possible before you know it! ::): 

Edited by Kuro Cleanbrush
Edited for grammar.
6 people like this

I have to disagree with others that said that we are our own worst critics.  The worst critic is ourselves looking at huge, blown up, high res phots of our little minis.

I do agree that this is great for someone just starting out.  

The only thing I can add is that everyone has their own way of painting minis for someone just starting out, I'd suggest buying a couple purpose made washes like those made by GW, Army Painter, Secret Weapon, or Reaper.  

4 people like this

I'm going to second Kuro on the army painter washes. Soft tone is incredibly useful.

4 people like this