Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By The Gibbergeist
Now live on Kickstarter!
I know what you are saying...another WIP by Jasper? It will never get finished, just like all his other WIPs!
This is likely true (the first step is admitting you have a problem) but the difference here is I'm not painting these guys currently. I will eventually....in theory, but that's not why I'm starting the WIP.
So, if you are unfamiliar, or just don't know the name of the book series, A Song of Ice and Fire is the name of the fairly obscure book series they made into that niche little TV series they have to stick on Sunday nights, A Game of Thrones.
CMoN worked with Dark Sword Miniatures (I expect there were some licensing reasons as DSM has made some spectacular Martin approved figures from the series in the past) to produce a full blown tabletop game based on the books (not the show, so don't expect Tyrion to look like Peter Dinklage). This is a full traditional type tabletop game, with units, movement trays, etc. Not what I'm used to with CMoN, but they seem to have done a pretty good job with it, and are backing it up with new armies and units coming out any time now.
Of course, being CMoN AND Game of Throne, the kickstarter did pretty well, and the number of figs that came were....
So, as mentioned, units and movement trays. Movement trays are great. They keep your unit organized and make it much easier to move them around. They also make facing and alignment for engagements easy.
But the problem with them is that people are clumsy. So far in every game I've played me, or my opponent (but usually me) has dropped a tray. Usually only an inch or two to the tabletop, but still...
As I'm on an ASOIAF (awesome acronym...) facebook group, this seems to be a common issue. And everyone uses the common solution that movement tray based minis games have been using for decades. Magnets.
Back when I played Clan War (and Gencon was still in Milwaukee) we used flat metal sheets for the trays, and stick on squares of magnet on the bases. But now we live in the future! where itty bitty super powerfully magnets are easily available.
So today I'm trying out magnetizing this unit of Stark Sworn Swords.
Following a post I read a while ago in the Facebook group, I ordered a bunch of 5mm x 1mm magnets.
The first thing I do is grab a scratchy something (in this case a triangle file) and scratch an X into one face of a bunch of the magnets (I'll do them all eventually).
Then I picked a test subject and glued one as centered as I could get it. I'm putting the scratched side into the glue as the scratches might help it adhere better and so I don't have scratches showing on all the bottoms. It doesn't matter as long as you're consistent.
Once it dried a bit I needed to see if this would actually work. As these are pretty thin magnets and imported from a company I'd never dealt with before (but who sell really inexpensive magnets) I wasn't sure how strong they would be.
So I picked what should be the worst spot on the movement tray, where CMoN put their logo, put the fig in the spot and just held a magnet to see what it would do.
Seemed to lock on pretty good so time to test!
Even with a few good shakes our test Stark seems to have held. Excellent!
Time to glue the rest on.
Glue should be dry now after all this typing, but its lunch so I'll see if I can get the movement try magnets glued on after a bit.
The second campaign for STL files for The Wizard's Tower is underway.
This version includes a Bridge and much more.
2 Stretch Goals down, and the third to break soon.
Who's Online 22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)