Reaperbryan

ReaperCon Volunteers

We're looking for a few good Metalheads and Boneheads (ha! ha! We're so funny!).

We have lots of odd jobs that need doing at ReaperCon, and we're looking for helpers.

If you're interested in signing up to help us out during ReaperCon, you can find out more, and sign up here:

https://reapercon.com/volunteer_policies

We fully understand that many of you want to see what classes you get into before you volunteer, but we figured we might as well get you started thinking about it.

• Like 10

Can we choose which odd jobs we can volunteer for? I'd be all for helping you guys tear down on Sunday.

I think "tear down" will fall into the "general labor as needed" portion of most of the sections...

Edited by Grayfax

12 minutes ago, haldir said:

Can we choose which odd jobs we can volunteer for? I'd be all for helping you guys tear down on Sunday.

^^^This^^^ because there are some jobs some of us may be unable to do due to disability. For instance, as much as I'd like to be able to help set uptear down, my back and knee are most emphatic in saying "no way you crazy *BONK!*meister."

Set up and Tear Down are not nominally part of the gig. We generally assume paid employees for that, for insurance reasons.

There's helping at the Store, which primarily involves restock (and thus, heavy lifting and bending). 

There's the registration Desk, which usually involves selling people classes and giving out reaper bucks and general Q&A (light to no physical labor)

There's concessions, which is mostly sitting down and selling food and drinks, and may involve restocking, (but less physical labor than the store)

and there's maintenance/cleanup. Probably not recommended for those unable to lift/carry.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Reaperbryan said:

Set up and Tear Down are not nominally part of the gig. We generally assume paid employees for that, for insurance reasons.

There's helping at the Store, which primarily involves restock (and thus, heavy lifting and bending). 

There's the registration Desk, which usually involves selling people classes and giving out reaper bucks and general Q&A (light to no physical labor)

There's concessions, which is mostly sitting down and selling food and drinks, and may involve restocking, (but less physical labor than the store)

and there's maintenance/cleanup. Probably not recommended for those unable to lift/carry.

I can do Registration Desk, sounds like, and since I'll be driving*, I know when I'll be arriving.

* Dependant on me passing my road test in June.

• Like 1

I'll be driving, but Ub3r and I haven't discussed his flight arrival time yet... so I'm not going to say I know when I'll be arriving yet...

• Like 1

Ooo! I'd love to volunteer, but I won't know for sure whether I'm coming or not until probably the end of August. So I guess I'll see if any slots are still available then. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

I already signed up to volunteer. When we know what classes we actually got will we be able to adjust our times available?

• Like 3

Those jobs seem entirely too practical.  A proper odd job would be more along the lines of "ensure ReaperBryan's evil mastermind mustache is waxed and twirled properly."

On a serious note, I will admit it is unlikely I will be there to volunteer.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, nakos said:

I already signed up to volunteer. When we know what classes we actually got will we be able to adjust our times available?

Good question!

• Like 2

Reviving this old post. My wife and I just submitted applications to volunteer. What is the usual turnaround time for a response? I want to make sure I stay on top of whether or not I need to purchase badges so that I can register for classes when the time comes.

26 minutes ago, reytheist said:

Reviving this old post. My wife and I just submitted applications to volunteer. What is the usual turnaround time for a response? I want to make sure I stay on top of whether or not I need to purchase badges so that I can register for classes when the time comes.

I have not even begun to go through the applications yet.

I would suggest buying a badge, and then I will issue a refund if I approve your applications. It may be some time before I get to that part of it.

• Like 8