Thes Hunter

77319: BONES Table and Benches

12 posts in this topic

Quick,  reveal your wood formula so that you can write it down as an excuse to letting n00bs like me know how to make wood look so fine! 

5 people like this

The key is putting down a dark brown. Dry brushing with a medium brown, dry brushing some more, dry brushing with a off white, dry brushing even more, dry brushing even more, and then dry brushing with some white. Then using some washes and glazes to bring the yellows and chestnut colors to come back. Then some army painter hard? Tone into the cracks and shadows, and then some carefully dry brushed highlights with a light yellowish color. There you go. But I don't remember the exact colors. 

9 people like this

Darn my plan failed,  thanks though the techniques are as helpful to me as the colors.  Even if my goal was to get you to write down the recipe

Colors I know I like for wood

Old GW snakebite leather and vermin fur

Old GW chestnut wash 

(if you don't have them, check out coat d arms. I haven't tired them myself but I've heard they are the same company that made the old GW stuff I like. Been meaning to order a few of my colors that are now on their last legs.)

Reaper Russet brown

reaper griffon tan

Army painter strong tone

and any reddish to orangish to yellowish brown that I can mix with distilled water and Reaper brush on sealer till it's a nice even translucent color that I then can dap on spots on the mini and blend into other colors I just laid down, giving it a grainy effect.

Note the kind of Browns you want are colors that in some contexts read a Brown and others read as Red/orange/yellow.

7 people like this

Good job!

1 person likes this

They look great! I went through pots of the old Chestnut Ink when I was doing ships...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

nice job

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by Tjrez
1 person likes this

Great furniture!!!

1 person likes this

Very good looking tables, although I was hoping for some kind of undead furniture ;)

1 person likes this

Thanks guys!

And sorry to disappoint you @vegascat  NO furniture made out of skeletons!

Isn't wood the skeletons of trees? :-D

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By robsontpm
      The first miniature I have painted after opening Bones 3 box that arrived one week ago. Also, my first reaper miniature I would like to share.

I must admit that I made a very poor job on the mould lines though and the paint job isn't as neat as I would like to...

More pictures: http://zgielk.blogspot.com/2017/08/na-bezrybiu-i-smok-ryba.html

• By charcon
      So I got bored and said hey I am going to build the meeting where Eclavdra met with Giants to approach them about and alliance. I put storm Giants because I thought maybe they said NO. I also thought they would bring bodyguards and queen would bring her pet (womenand their chihuahuas!). Lol. Anyways ... been painting to gather up minis to run the modules for my kids and buddies. 

• By Chris Palmer
         Just quick post to let folks know abut these stencils I picked up in my local Dollar Tree this weekend.  They are in the school supply section.  i thought they might be really useful for applying decorative painted patterns to temple floors, walls, pillars, etc...
      I forgot to include a ruler, but they are about 6 inches square.

• By Pingo
      Photographer Rä di Martino traveled around the Tunisian desert in September 2010 locating and photographing the decaying old sets for the original Star Wars films, which she learned had never been torn down.

Fascinating pictures here:
      https://petapixel.com/2013/05/12/photo-series-visits-abandoned-star-wars-film-sets-in-the-deserts-of-north-africa/
    • By Laoke
      I've been thinking about doing this for awhile - painting up one of the clear "invisible" adventurers in Bones III as a translucent figure.  The obvious choice was 77449 - Invisible Rogue, as my delightful wife painted the matching 77035 - Visible Deladrin some time ago.

I painted the figure using a thinned Tamiya Clear Blue X-23 (thinned with Tamiya Thinner X-20).  This produced a very light blue tint to the figure while at the same time introducing some definition.  I also hit points where I wanted extra definition, mainly the face and weapon transition points, with unthinned Tamiya Clear Blue.

The broccoli is basically Reaper Peacock Green worked up through Reaper Clear Green to Reaper Clear Yellow.  The bottom of the base has been painted Reaper Pure Black.

Important Note:  Tamiya Clear paints are significantly different from Reaper Clear Paints.  Tamiya Clear are translucent, Reaper Clear are not. 

Issues - there's a big one in that because of the black I painted the bottom of the base, the boots of the translucent figure are significantly darker than the rest of the figure.  It almost reads right, but I'd have been better off doing the first coat on the bottom a green or maybe a white so they looked like they were clear going onto the grass of the base.  It's something I'll consider later, although could largely be ignored if you rebased the figure.  But on the whole I think this came out pretty good, accidental scimitar that we never noticed originally on Deladrin and all.

There's one additional issue that I didn't spot till after I posted this - a Virtual Chocolate Fish™ to anyone who can tell the class what that very delibrate mistake was for our educational porpoises.
  • Who's Online   57 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)