Thes Hunter

77319: BONES Table and Benches

Quick,  reveal your wood formula so that you can write it down as an excuse to letting n00bs like me know how to make wood look so fine! 

• Like 5

The key is putting down a dark brown. Dry brushing with a medium brown, dry brushing some more, dry brushing with a off white, dry brushing even more, dry brushing even more, and then dry brushing with some white. Then using some washes and glazes to bring the yellows and chestnut colors to come back. Then some army painter hard? Tone into the cracks and shadows, and then some carefully dry brushed highlights with a light yellowish color. There you go. But I don't remember the exact colors. 

• Like 9

Darn my plan failed,  thanks though the techniques are as helpful to me as the colors.  Even if my goal was to get you to write down the recipe

Colors I know I like for wood

Old GW snakebite leather and vermin fur

Old GW chestnut wash 

(if you don't have them, check out coat d arms. I haven't tired them myself but I've heard they are the same company that made the old GW stuff I like. Been meaning to order a few of my colors that are now on their last legs.)

Reaper Russet brown

reaper griffon tan

Army painter strong tone

and any reddish to orangish to yellowish brown that I can mix with distilled water and Reaper brush on sealer till it's a nice even translucent color that I then can dap on spots on the mini and blend into other colors I just laid down, giving it a grainy effect.

Note the kind of Browns you want are colors that in some contexts read a Brown and others read as Red/orange/yellow.

• Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Peithetairos
      I always found deserts to be fascinating habitats. A cursory look will leave you with the impression that it is hell on earth: sandstorms, unbearable heat during the day and freezing at nighttime. Yet, the desert is not only home to thousands of plant and animal species, it also has a simple beauty to it, dominated by the shapes the wind forms. They are thus a worthy subject for the modeler and can provide an atmospheric backdrop for our games. The exploits of the Crusaders come to mind as well as the cultures inhabiting Northern Africa, for instance the ancient Numidians.

I made a number of arid terrain pieces, but this time I will show you two desert lakes or oases that are slowly drying out. Using a similar technique I also built a partially dry river bed, with only a small stream of water remaining. I will provide you with short step-by-step instructions how to make a cracked lake or river bed, but if you want to know more you can also check out a longer tutorial on my blog (given this is not a full tutorial here I put it in the show off section).

The build is pretty straight forward:

1. First we use XPS or foam board to define the lake bed.
      2. We apply the crackle paste.
      3. We cover everything with filler or modelling paste
      4. We embed the magnets/steel tacks.
      5. We add sand and animal tracks.
      6. We apply a basecoat and drybrush.
      7. We add some brushes and a water effect.
      8. We make the barren tree and add it as a final touch.

A more detailed how-to can be found on DaggerAndBrush:

https://daggerandbrush.wordpress.com/2018/01/19/mirage-making-a-dry-desert-lake-or-oasis/

• By AngiesArmies
      I painted up the skeletons I had from Bones 2 together with a Bone Fiend. The Skeletons were fun to do, the Bone Fiend a bit less as the model was quite undefined. For the skeletons, I took some inspiration from the game Morrowind for the colours, bases and shield designs.

• By Guildenstern
      Finished the bases for these two 'statues'. I picked a more sombre kind of theme, almost winter or fall, as I thought it looked better with these than a bright, summer theme. 

• By Guildenstern
      Here's my take on this cute little guy. I tried to do more glazes on him than the way I normally paint, and his eyes are violet, which I think came out ok. Wishing I'd been able to get the huge mold line off his head but oh well. He's still adorbs.

• By Lidless Eye
      I hadn't even realized when I began on these three that they were all from the "Castle Stoneskull" expansion from Bones III.  It was a great set for adding to the random encounters for an RPG.

These guys may represent some of the high-level dangers that one could encounter while dungeoneering in Castle Stoneskull!

The Behir.  I've been wanting one since a buddy pulled one from the first Huge set of D&D prepaints.  They even show up in Pathfinder's "Reign of Winter" and D&D 5E's "Storm King's Thunder", if only I had had this guy in time for those campaigns!

Brain-in-a-Jar.  While I was hoping this would be a human brain, it's still a really cool design.  I wonder why the legs are traditional bendy bones instead of the hard plastic that makes up the rest of the mini (minus the squishy brain), though.

The mighty Minotaur!  Bones has a lot of representations for Minotaurs now, almost as many as Orcs or Goblins.  There's the one from pre-Kickstarter, 2 adventurers in Bones II, and the whole set of Minitaurs coming in Bones IV!  Plus all the Beastmen if you want to count them, I've seen them used as medium Minotaur PCs enough times.

This guy is my favorite, though.  Must be the Gladiator armor.

• Who's Online   8 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)