Thes Hunter

77319: BONES Table and Benches

12 posts in this topic

Quick,  reveal your wood formula so that you can write it down as an excuse to letting n00bs like me know how to make wood look so fine! 

5 people like this

The key is putting down a dark brown. Dry brushing with a medium brown, dry brushing some more, dry brushing with a off white, dry brushing even more, dry brushing even more, and then dry brushing with some white. Then using some washes and glazes to bring the yellows and chestnut colors to come back. Then some army painter hard? Tone into the cracks and shadows, and then some carefully dry brushed highlights with a light yellowish color. There you go. But I don't remember the exact colors. 

9 people like this

Darn my plan failed,  thanks though the techniques are as helpful to me as the colors.  Even if my goal was to get you to write down the recipe

Colors I know I like for wood

Old GW snakebite leather and vermin fur

Old GW chestnut wash 

(if you don't have them, check out coat d arms. I haven't tired them myself but I've heard they are the same company that made the old GW stuff I like. Been meaning to order a few of my colors that are now on their last legs.)

Reaper Russet brown

reaper griffon tan

Army painter strong tone

and any reddish to orangish to yellowish brown that I can mix with distilled water and Reaper brush on sealer till it's a nice even translucent color that I then can dap on spots on the mini and blend into other colors I just laid down, giving it a grainy effect.

Note the kind of Browns you want are colors that in some contexts read a Brown and others read as Red/orange/yellow.

7 people like this

Good job!

1 person likes this

They look great! I went through pots of the old Chestnut Ink when I was doing ships...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

nice job

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by Tjrez
1 person likes this

Great furniture!!!

1 person likes this

Very good looking tables, although I was hoping for some kind of undead furniture ;)

1 person likes this

Thanks guys!

And sorry to disappoint you @vegascat  NO furniture made out of skeletons!

Isn't wood the skeletons of trees? :-D

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tricksay
      Been away from it all, for a bit. Finished this one up, a little too fast -to enter it in a competition (Attack-x).
      Got a bronze, and a ton of advice on where I could have improved and upped it to silver......very exciting for my first in person competition. 
      Thanks for looking, c&c is much appreciated. And I'm guessing on the catalogue number, hasn't been released yet from Bones 3.

• By MonsterSlayer
      I have been away from painting and these boards for a while.

I recently got back into painting and started with some of the bones 3 ogres. I made a rookie mistake with bad lighting and decided they had to go in the Simple Green bath.

The ones that I based coated with brown cleaned fairly well.The armored ogres had Vallejo Coal Black and the stuff will not come off after 36 hours.That is not even a primer, just black model paint.

So has anyone had this problem? Do I need to step up the cleaning solution to acetone free nail polish remover? Brake fluid? Has anyone tried nail polish remover or brake fluid on the Bones? how does the plastic react?
    • By bojesphob
      I didn't have time to take better photos of this, too much going on recently to break out the DSLR, so I just used my phone camera. Not entirely enthused about the pics, but the mini itself was a BLAST to paint - probably my favorite non-dragon/large monster I've painted up so far! Once I got the color scheme thought through, I actually painted it up rather quickly. Tried a few new techniques on the stones on the base to make them seem a little more polished, which in person really stands out well :) Critiques?

• By MojoBob
      I've put together another couple of experimental hills. Number 1 we've seen before.

Hill #2 has a mix of steep, impassable faces and more-or-less flat terraces that a figure could stand on without immediately tumbling down. It's a bit more usable than Hill #1, while still remaining reasonably naturalistic, but to be truly playable it probably needs to be blockier still. Apart from the flock, vegetation is pretty minimal — just a few areas of clump-foliage — and I think I may add a bit more to make it look a bit less... spotty. I may also have to hit it with the airbrush, as the flock looks a bit more pallid than I'd hoped, but I'll give it another couple of days before I do that as it may just be that the PVA holding everything together isn't properly cured yet so it's still a bit white. We've been having some cool, wet weather lately, and that has really slowed things down.

Hill #3 is a two-peak hill; the upper one is steep, with a flat top to allow figures to stand, while the bottom one is much more gently sloped. The slope is still too much for single figures, but vehicles and figures in movement trays will rest there without sliding back down. There's no foliage on here at all except for the flock, which is fine.

The figures are a 15mm WW1 British 18pdr and crew. The tank is my own 3d-printed A1E1 Independent. They're all sitting on a GW "grass" mat that I picked up cheap some years ago, and have never used because it looks nothing at all like grass. I live in a Land of Grass, and I've never seen grass that looks anything like that colour. Add to that the fact that it sheds worse than a cat in moult, and it's just bloody awful.
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      PLEASE NOTE: 
      A starter 3D printer begins around $220 (see F.A.Q.) Each pledge level includes all previous pledge levels. The optional $10 Add-On sets shown below can be added to any pledge level by adding the appropriate amount to your core pledge, or select one of the 'Hero' pledge levels that fits your needs. There is no pledge level that includes the 'Prior Kickstarter Add-Ons'. You must add the amount for these sets to whatever pledge level you choose. We do not use an after-campaign pledge manager. All pledges must be in by the end of the campaign. DRAGONLOCK™ is an interlocking terrain system that allows you to create fully modular, multi-level 28mm scale village terrain for your RPG or wargame on your home 3D printer. Each set is delivered in a downloadable .stl format via our online distribution partner DriveThruRPG.com, and once you have the set, you can print as many pieces as you like and never run out or need to purchase more. These terrain sets represent the culmination of over twelve years of gaming terrain design experience.
      Fat Dragon Games is the only 3D printer terrain company that is part of the prestigious DriveThruRPG Community Content program, which includes Margaret Weis Productions, Monte Cook Games, and Wizards of the Coast’s DMs Guild. Our Dragonbite Community Creator program allows YOU to sell your own Dragonbite-compatible terrain designs on DriveThruRPG, RPGNow, and Wargame Vault!
      By supporting us through Kickstarter, you get bonus models that won't be available later, and access to free stretch rewards. We have been in the 'print-and-play' terrain business for over twelve years, and have successfully delivered eight previous Kickstarter projects, so you can pledge with confidence that we will deliver a high-quality product on time.
      FREE STRETCH REWARDS that will increase the size of the terrain offerings will be available to anyone pledging at the 'Realm of the Mountain King' pledge level or higher. Spread the word about this project to your friends and post about it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc., and GET FREE BONUS MODELS as the pledges rise!
      A standard dungeon wall piece costs around $0.40 in plastic to print yourself, far cheaper than factory-made terrain! All of the models shown were printed at 100-200 micron resolution, a common standard on most economical 3D printers. A nice starter printer that can print these files starts around $220 (see our F.A.Q. for more info on printers, printing costs, filaments, and more.)
      Even if you don't currently own a 3D printer, it benefits you to support this campaign now. You can get all of the free stretch rewards, exclusive content in some sets not available later, and have a digital library of village terrain ready to go when you do purchase a printer.
      SPECIAL THANKS TO REAPER MINIATURES for allowing us to use their miniatures in our photos and video! (www.reapermini.com)
      CLICK HERE FOR A FREE SAMPLE SET OF DRAGONLOCK!

We are known worldwide for our attention to the smallest details. Our models feature richly detailed textures by industry-leading sculptors. 
      Our models feature high resolution sculpting detail.  
                                                     PLEASE NOTE: All images that are digital renders are clearly designated as such. We don't want digital renders being mistaken for a real printed model in our previews. 
      Digital render of the 'Wilderness Encounters' pledge level (final design subject to change).  
      Sample layout from the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level.  
      Digital render of the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level (final design subject to change).  
      Sample layout from the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level.  
      Gargoyle brazier model from the 'Dungeon Delve Part 1' pledge level.
  • Who's Online   40 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)