hdclearman

ReaperCon Entries and Show-Off Threads

12 posts in this topic

What are everyone's feeling toward making show-off posts of models that are planned to be entered into the ReaperCon Open?  Do you like to keep them secret?  Does anyone think this is bad form?  Is there any unspoken rules?

I'm honestly curious.  I've not seen this discussed.

Posted (edited)

Looking at the past, there have been a lot of WIPs for contest entries, particularly for dioramas. It's the perfect place to get some quick feedback long before the competition so adjustments can be made. Then you see them for real at ReaperCon and *Squee!* a little. :wub:

I remember Knarthex's Xanathar/Waterdeep WIP and Corporea's nightmare wall WIP coming along for months.

Edited by Cranky Dog
8 people like this

Posted (edited)

I posted a long WIP thread, for my reapercon entry, but I didn't post show off-threads, I left the WIP unfinished until after the con.   the final pictures were pretty lose to done though, I was working on the fancy swamp base at the end, rather than the figure. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
1 person likes this

I made up WIP threads for my entries and then did show offs after Reapercon.

2 people like this

Hmm. I didn't consider WIP threads.  I've only done one, and it didn't fit my style very well. 

With todays Get to Know You question,I need to see if I can change that. 

2 people like this

I did WIPs and Show Offs of my entries, because I didn't know they were entries at the time. I just paint :)

6 people like this

Getting feedback on a piece is really important.  Posting "finals" or any progress pics only helps you because you may get feedback about something you missed or give you an idea you didn't think about before. 

8 people like this

Used to be you weren't allowed to enter figures that had been posted online. When they changed the format of the painting competition however many years ago that was they changed that policy.

4 people like this

@Heisler would be a great person to ask for advice about the ReaperCon painting contest. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

5 people like this

Thanks @OneBoot that advice might help me these coming weeks on if i should wip a project i hope to throw in.  Except i don't think I'll be at reapercon this year... 

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Slush said:

Thanks @OneBoot that advice might help me these coming weeks on if i should wip a project i hope to throw in.  Except i don't think I'll be at reapercon this year... 

Oh, I meant with regard to how the ReaperCon competitions work, and the policy on WIP/Show-off threads for pieces intended for entry into the competitions. :) Not that I think he'd mind, but I don't want to speak on his behalf.

As far as general advice, there are tons of very talented people that have attended ReaperCon or have taught classes there that would be happy to give you advice! :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

4 people like this

Yep, if you have questions concerning reapercon competition, talk to Kris (Heisler) or Michael Proctor ( @Clever Crow ). Both of them are very friendly and awesome guys.

6 people like this