Pragma

Gryphon with rider

14 posts in this topic

I love the black feathers and the ocelot pattern!

1 person likes this

You did such a nice job with this! It looks so good!

1 person likes this

This is an amazing job!

I've followed your WIP, thx for sharing!!!

The patterns are excellent!

1 person likes this

Fantastic! I think you did an amazing job all around!

1 person likes this

Thanks everyone!

4 hours ago, Citrine said:

I love the black feathers and the ocelot pattern!

2 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

The patterns are excellent!

This is the first time I've attempted a natural pattern like that. A few things I noticed are:

• Patterns on animals are more complex than I expected, once you really look at them carefully.
  • Patterns like this are very forgiving compared with freehanding human-made things like patterned cloth, since they are so random.
  • It really adds a lot to the look.

So it's quite a big payoff for a fairly low degree of difficulty.

5 people like this

That is the most rad halfling ever. Not too many halflings lucky enough to have such a fancy gryphon to ride! Nice work ::D:

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

That is the most rad halfling ever. Not too many halflings lucky enough to have such a fancy gryphon to ride! Nice work ::D:

He is definitely the most rad halfling ever, and not just because he's my PC. 

4 people like this

That's an amazing conversion and the paint job just kicks it up another notch; very nicely done!

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's an amazing conversion and the paint job just kicks it up another notch; very nicely done!

Thanks! I have been using conversions and basing to practice my sculpting. I would like to slowly work up to the point where I can sculpt decent humanoid figures.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

So cool! I loved watching the work you did on sculpting the saddle. Awesome stuff! I also like how you didn't go the traditional route with the Gryphon color scheme. Really unique and interesting. I especially like the patterns you were able to achieve on the wings!

Edited by WhatsEcstacy
1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, WhatsEcstacy said:

So cool! I loved watching the work you did on sculpting the saddle. Awesome stuff! I also like how you didn't go the traditional route with the Gryphon color scheme. Really unique and interesting. I especially like the patterns you were able to achieve on the wings!

Thanks, I hope I left enough detail that others can try it too. I was inspired by a poster on something awful (I can't find the link right now) who bought a cheap little bird from a craft store - I think it was a 1:1 scale chickadee - and sculpted the most amazing saddle and armor for the bird and mounted a dwarf on top. Mine wasn't quite so elaborate as that one, but I got a lot of ideas from it.

Really inspiring work with this!  And so much to look at.  I'm gonna go look some more.

1 person likes this

Glad you're enjoying it. The spinning picture is rather hypnotizing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pragma
      I play a pathfinder game with my wife, where my character is a halfling druid. Recently he found a magic egg that hatched into a gryphon. So naturally I now need a mini of a halfling riding a gryphon.

For the rider, I chose 77218: Woody Stumpwimple, Halfling Ranger. He has a bow and a sword and a cloak, just like my character. He has a nice wide stance that will make it easier to put him on a saddle. And he is in a heroic pose that makes it look like he is about to lead a charge.

The first step is getting the main shape of the saddle in sculpey on top of the gryphon (77157: Griffon). I pressed the rider into the saddle to make sure he would fit the way I want. It makes the top of the saddle look weird, but it will be covered by the rider.

And here he is on top:

As a next step, I need to bake the saddle. Then I will start adding straps, stirrups, maybe a bridle and reins. There is a bunch more converting to do before I start painting.

So, has anyone attempted this sort of thing before? I searched online but I only found one example. It seems like it should be the kind of thing people have tried before, and I'd love to know what works and what doesn't.
    • By Sirithiliel
      77386: Andriessa, female wizard
      77387: Lanelle, half elf rogue
      77389: Highland Heroine
      77203: Alastriel
      77208: Anwyn
      77210: Sarah the Seeress
      77217: Mi-Sher
      77218: Woody Stumpwimple, Halfling Ranger
      77223: Kristianna
      77225: Ingrid, Female Viking
      77165: Hellakin Goregutter, Halfling Rogue
      77079: Isabeau Laroche, Female Paladin
      77070: Aviriel Tellerion, Female Elf
      89012: Lem, Iconic Bard
      77078: Astrid, Female Bard
      89006: Seoni, Iconic Sorceress 
      77164: Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard

• By canuckotter
      I posted an orc barbarian a few days back that I was working on. He's one of the characters in the Fantasy AGE campaign I'm running. I bought other models for the other characters but couldn't find anything quite right, so I got as close as I could and figured I'd modify them later. Apparently tonight's the night to start that work...  I'd already put brown liner on them before deciding I really was going to modify the figures, in case you're wondering what's going on with them.

(Sorry for crummy pictures, I was experimenting with using my webcam... Man I really need to find that digicam that I know should be kicking around the house somewhere...)

Anyway! First up - 77165 - Hellakin Gorecutter, Halfling Rogue. This is the model I've chosen for the party mage, who for some reason has decided he wants to run around with a morningstar. It's worth noting that the mace is his arcane implement - he channels his magic through it, including healing magic... The most terrifying healer ever. (Actually the healing spell doesn't need to be channelled through it, we just thought it would be hilarious if his way of healing his friends was to hit them with his morningstar.) I cut off the sword in his right hand and attached a short brass rod, which'll be greenstuffed into a morningstar shortly.

Next is 77218 - Woody Stumpwimple, Halfling Ranger. This is our party rogue. Except he doesn't use a bow, so I've chopped the bow out of his left hand, and I'm in the process of cutting the arrows out of the quiver on his back. The character is in love with his arquebus, and I'm still deciding whether he's going to be holding that in his left hand or if I'll have him holster it on his back (in what used to be the quiver) as if he's Ash or something.

The final member of the party is 77021 - Lindir, Elf Archer. He doesn't require any modifications, so I don't have him with me right now to take pictures... If you want to know what he looks like, go look at the link.
    • By Melkavar
      The hunter tightened his grip on his bow, preparing to draw his arrow to his ear. He had followed the trail of his quarry, a mighty wild boar, into the clearing ahead. A sudden crunching sound, like breaking bone, made him freeze in his tracks. He cautiously crept forward and peered around the trunk of an ancient oak. The vision of pure majesty he saw within the clearing stole his breath. There, a mighty golden griffon was finishing its meal of wild boar. The hunter slowly, deliberately relaxed his hold and returned his arrow to its quiver. He clasped a hand over his heart and bowed his head toward the regal creature. He would find other game elsewhere, for this meat had been claimed by the King of Beasts and the King of Birds.

Only have the base work left to do, figure paint is essentially done unless I find something that needs touch-up.
  • Who's Online   63 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)