Clearman

Kabuki Miniatures Dragon Queen WIP

20 posts in this topic

It was requested that I begin a Work In Progress thread for this piece.  I don’t normally do WIP threads, so if anyone is looking for more detail, let me know.

This model represents a bunch of firsts for me.  This is my first bust, first resin, first model airbrushed, and first attempt at zenithal priming.

The model comes in 5 pieces:  The base, neck, and back of the head are the bulk, followed by the face/muzzle, and left/right horns.  The Queen makes the fifth piece. Assembly was fairly easy and straightforward.  Each piece received a good wash in soapy water.  When dry, I super-glued things together, but there were a couple gaps that needed to be taken care of.  I didn’t take any pictures at this stage.  The gap was where the face met the horns on each side.

After the putty cured, I broke out the airbrush and gave it a coat of Vallejo Black surface primer, followed by a zenithal coat of Vallejo White.

IMG_20170430_144749.thumb.jpg.2ea231793e17985d296673bfc2b0fab2.jpg

For the Queen, she has been mounted on a straight pin and cork.  The model came with a hole pre-drilled in both Queen, and the dragon horn on which she sits. At this stage she has received the same zenithal primer coat, a single coat of MSP Tanned Shadow, and the eyes have been started.  Just need to shape them back into looking like eyes.

IMG_20170430_144833.thumb.jpg.18b101344fb7da27042725e6f9639c11.jpg

Comments and critiques welcome.

20 people like this

Off to a good start!!

2 people like this

I was thinking of buying this bust myself, still need to paint like 10 more I already have..

So very interested!!!

GO GO GO!!!!!

Worked on eyes this evening.

IMG_20170501_223010.thumb.jpg.8c40186ad10c204de997e5aeb4c177d3.jpg

IMG_20170501_223021.thumb.jpg.d4700a18c3392f26ddb0e1ed8c05fe0d.jpg

22 people like this

wow.. gorgeous work on those eyes..

1 person likes this

Those eyes are great!

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

wow.. gorgeous work on those eyes..

2 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Those eyes are great!

Agreed!!

Very cool bust, and yep, them some gorgeous eyes!

1 person likes this

I haven't done much on this one recently, but I managed to down the based shadows and a little on the jaw horns.  Plans are light for the next couple evenings, so I'm hoping to get more done.

IMG_20170506_151023.thumb.jpg.eaaea9897c6b25323526f8d53a9e5df9.jpg

14 people like this

Let me be the first to tell you that those are some amazing eyes you have painted.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Let me be the first to tell you that those are some amazing eyes you have painted.

I must give credit to the excellent tutorial written by Guindyloo.

2 people like this

Wasn't able to make as much progress this week as I wanted, but was able to get a mid-tone layer of Bones Dragon Red down on half the model.

IMG_20170511_195950.thumb.jpg.785c98204d76b7391e697b637f2c3f68.jpg

IMG_20170511_195959.thumb.jpg.092dd81531624b6dc34f8ffdef84eac4.jpg

16 people like this

I know everyone has already said it, but oh my lord those eyes are stunning!

Progress!!!!

I'm glad you found my eye tutorial useful! You did a great job!

I look forward to seeing what else you do with this model!

3 people like this