Pragma

WIP: Adventuring party

40 posts in this topic

Really great colours on all of these guys - they're bright and fun but also cohesive.

I'm glad you kept the cookie monster fur, I really like how it looks.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Guindyloo said:

Really great colours on all of these guys - they're bright and fun but also cohesive.

I'm glad you kept the cookie monster fur, I really like how it looks.

Thanks! It's sort of an accident that they wound up cohesive. But it's true that a lot of the red, purple and blue tones are repeated throughout (perhaps with the exception of Acon, the female fighter). The blue fur is totally weird, yet it works somehow. And there was enough cookie monster fur left over for Varian to knit himself a scarf.

Anyhoo, time to reveal my plans for the mysterious seventh base. We have an NPC sergeant that's our superior within the mercenary company; a half-orc duelist. She wields a rapier and has a swashbuckler type of flair. I totally fell in love with the character concept. This was my inspiration image:

the_duelist_by_sbraithwaite-d6okwlh.thumb.jpg.169b92e60e1cfe0a9495544134d0b1e6.jpg

So picture that, but with 50% more orc. 

I decided to start with Imrijka, Iconic Inquisitor. She worked out surprisingly well, since she already had a flowing cape and a hat and gloves. All I had to do was turn up one side of her hat, add some feathers and swap the weapon:

mari1.jpg.518258901098e2ec373bf60b8e4e44dc.jpg

It's hard to see, but there are four feathers on her cap. At first I was stumped by the rapier, since I wasn't sure how to sculpt a blade that thin. Then I realized I don't have to sculpt it, and just used a pin (I clipped the tip off so that it won't stab anyone who tries to pick it up). Then for the fancy guard I just made lots of little snakes out of greenstuff and connected them around. Luckily I have an advantage over real sculptors in that I don't have to worry about if this thing will cast.

7 people like this

Here is Mari the duelist with a bit of paint on her:

mari2.jpg.7af3a2e101c54c7a2e423ca99724c9b9.jpg

I tried out a new toy on this model: I base coated the cape with my new airbrush in sapphire blue. So all the blue parts will not necessarily remain blue. I am very happy with how the skin turned out. I painted it just like I usually do skin, but with yellowed bone instead of flesh tone, and a leaf green wash instead of flesh wash.

7 people like this

Wow!  Great conversion work and paint job!

That picture makes me want to pick up a second Sail Away bust and try to replicate the pattern on her vest!  

1 person likes this

Thanks, the rapier was kind of a pain to make but it turned out well in the end.

So here she is with lots more paint on her. I apparently still haven't figured out this whole "post pics as you go along" thing.

mari3.jpg.90ca13b6ce12a8228d7535b4407fd621.jpg

This picture is a little washed out, but she is basically done. I might weather the bases a little more, but after that the party will be bound for show off.

And just as I say that I see I forgot to add a dab of gold to the little cloak pin ...

2 hours ago, Rahz said:

That picture makes me want to pick up a second Sail Away bust and try to replicate the pattern on her vest!  

*whispers* ... do it ... do ... it .... dooooo ....... iiiit .........

8 people like this

Nice job, the green face reminded me of the wicked witch of the west from oz :)

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Tjrez said:

Nice job, the green face reminded me of the wicked witch of the west from oz :)

Is that a good thing? I'm pretty sure if you said this to her face, Mari would challenge you to a duel :)

1 person likes this

Also, just because I can, here is a 360 degree shot that shows her off a bit better (though the face is in shadow)

5 people like this

Very nice freehand!

Love the green skin!

1 person likes this