Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

1090 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, RouterMike said:

OneBoot, I had the same issues with the invisible plant stuff. Allergy shots have saved me. I'm basically allergic to everything green in this area, and the shots make going outside pleasurable again.

Once we're more permanently settled, I plan to look into them. Being able to go outside in spring, or visit people with cats without turning into a drippy wheezing mess, is a wholly foreign concept to me. I would love for it to be less so! ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

9 people like this

Last fall I bought the latest version of the book "109 Walks in British Columbia's Lower Mainland" but we had such lousy rainy weather since then I haven't had much of a chance to give any a try. Hoping to change that this spring.

I had a much older version of this book that I enjoyed using quite a bit filled with my notes and maps but it's been misplaced.

The other thing I'd like to get back into is cycling. Nothing fancy. Just taking my time and going out meandering like I used to.

2 issues though.

It's been a lot of years since I've done it and I'm out of shape, older, and heavier so I know it won't be easy as we have a lot of hills around here.

The second thing is I just realized my bike is 30 years old. It should be given a good going over and some parts likely will need to be replaced and I don't know that I want to get into all that.

9 people like this

Question the 4th of May (May the 4th be with you!): Regale us with your thoughts of Star Wars.  What was your favorite scene?  Best worst movie?  What wast eh first movie in the series that you saw and how old were you when you saw it?  What color is your light sabre?

11 people like this

5 hours ago, OneBoot said:
6 hours ago, RouterMike said:

OneBoot, I had the same issues with the invisible plant stuff. Allergy shots have saved me. I'm basically allergic to everything green in this area, and the shots make going outside pleasurable again.

Once we're more permanently settled, I plan to look into them. Being able to go outside in spring, or visit people with cats without turning into a drippy wheezing mess, is a wholly foreign concept to me. I would love for it to be less so! ^_^

My sister-in-law is allergic to everything spring.  She has tried everything from shots to local honey and nothing has really worked.  Good luck!

11 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 4th of May (May the 4th be with you!): Regale us with your thoughts of Star Wars.  What was your favorite scene?  Best worst movie?  What wast eh first movie in the series that you saw and how old were you when you saw it?  What color is your light sabre?

It was a fun movie, but I don't own a lightsaber.  This allows me to skip all other questions.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I was in my teens when  I saw the first of them (episode 4-6) and the effects where already aged back then, so they did not impress me all that much.
I still don't see what all the hype is about.

That said I actually got some enjoyment out of Rogue one, who shook up the premise enough.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I was 5 years old when I saw Star Wars in 1977.  But my favorite is still Empire Strikes Back.  Not necessarily because of the movie, but because I was just enough older to understand more of what was going on.  

The lightsaber I own is red, but have always been partial to green. 

4 people like this

I was 13 the summer that star wars came out, and had spent the early part of summer visiting my grandparents in Sweden. 

When I got home in late July, all I heard about was this movie that I hadda go see...

Lords of Lead, but it was mind blowing...

The dog fight scene was the fave...

Never owned a light saber...

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Fun space fantasy. Favorite scene is Vader just losing it on the rebels at the end of Rogue One. Best Movie? Empire. Worst? Episode 1. I saw the holy trilogy in the order it was intended, though I don't recall how old I was. Very young.

I own a whole bunch of light sabres in a bunch of colors. My avatar one is purple, but if I had to pick a color for one in real life, I'd go for orange.

4 people like this

I was evidently quite young when I saw the actual first movie. When I saw it when I was older I thought the scene in the bar was a dream I had had.

Ewoks are my favorite. The movies aren't anything outstanding, in terms of story, but they are fun. For me the funnest part is the ewoks.

I wouldn't accept a light saber that wasn't purple.

6 people like this

favorite scene k2so holds the archive console. best movie: rogue one. worst 1-3 are all a black hole of suck. first one I saw, probably a new hope some time in the 80s, so less than 10 years old. 

I don't like starwars very much.

5 people like this

Favorite scene is probably the last scene from Rogue One, where Vader is striding through the ship, killing everyone in his way to retrieve the plans.  The sequence in Jedi with the Emperor, Vader and Luke is a close second - the Emperor trying to goad Luke into the Dark Side, and Luke barely managing to step back and redeem himself.  Best movie is Empire, though Rogue One is a not-too-distant second.  Worst is probably Episode 2 (though all of the second trilogy is pretty meh - still better than the Holiday Special though.)  The first I saw would be Star Wars, in 1977. And my lightsabers are red.

5 people like this

May The Fourth: Star Wars has been an influential piece of my life for as long as I can remember.  I was born in 1981; and the first episode I remember watching was Return of the Jedi, sometime around 1985 or 1986 (it was the Network Television Premiere, and we taped it.  I watched that tape so many times it wore out and we ended up buying the "whole series" on VHS several times thereafter).  My favorite scene?  Everything chronologically from Rogue One through Episode 7 where Rey meets a certain someone on a rocky island.  The prequel trilogy is weaker than the rest of the series by far; but even then, there are some fun moments, even in Phantom Menace (the podracing is pretty cool, still).  The first film my daughter was ever exposed to was Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope; my son's first film was Return of the Jedi.  My daughter refers to Darth Vader as "my Jedi", though she's quite keen on Rey, too (who wouldn't be, she's awesome).  My light saber would be purple.

6 people like this

I think my favorite scene is probably the scene where Leia infiltrates Jabba's Palace and threatens to kill everyone with a thermal detonator as a bargaining tactic. Episode III had been the first movie I'd seen in a long time where, on my way out of the theater, I wanted to see it again, so it gets my vote for Best worst movie. They really managed to make the Dark Side seductive in that film, show that the Jedi really had completely lost their perspective on just about everything, show how the Jedi could get taken out en masse, and gave the world "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" and its Korean brother "DO NOT WANT!" As I understand it, the first Star Wars film I saw in theaters was Return of the Jedi. I was three. We lived down the street from one of the theaters where Lucas developed THX. My lightsaber is octarine. Or green for those of you trapped in the visible light spectrum.

6 people like this

I first saw Star Wars in its first theater run with my parents, and my brother and I won tickets to the premiere of The Empire Strikes Back from a local radio station.  Pure awesome.  My favorite scene will likely always be, oddly enough, the asteroid combat scene in The Empire Strikes Back, followed by the iconic Hoth battle scene.

People will probably mark Episode I or II as the worst Star Wars movie.  Is this because the two Ewok Adventure movies are not canon?

Red.  Definitely double-ended red.  It's still in the hall closet, next to the umbrellas.

5 people like this

I've been into Star Wars for as long as I can remember.  I have vague memories of seeing the battle of Endor as a small kid.  I think my favorite scene was the Darth Maul duel because I loved the concept of a double bladed lightsaber long before I saw it on there.  The prequel trilogy are not my favorite movies but I don't seem to harbor the hatred that some people seem to.  My favorite was Return of the Jedi mostly because I'm a sucker for space battles and it's one of the major ones I first remember.  If I had a lightsaber it would have to be a purple one.

3 people like this