Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

1090 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 8th of May: How is your willpower when confronted with a "good deal"?  What are some of the things that you told yourself that you weren't going to do or buy, only to end up not being able to resist?

I have pretty strong willpower. I tend to have wishlists that go on for years before I buy the things on them. Since I took over the farm a few years ago I haven't had a lot of money in the bank and most of it gets spent on necessities and things the rest of the family wants. When I do break down it is at extremes either on very small items like buying old video games for $5 or Bones or other minis for $400. Like Red ambrosia my weakness is minis. I have enough of a backlog of minis that I can usually stop from buying even though I love to look. But I have serious issues with what I call the "snowball effect". Any of the Bones kickstarters or Frostgrave Nickstarters are a good example. If I decide to buy then I start out with a reasonable amount and then think, I'm already paying shipping, this is likely cheaper than I'll be able to get them at another time and I can sell the extras to get some of my money back. With mailorder, which is 90+% of how I buy things it's better to go for one large order than multiple small ones. Nickstarters are bad not because of the deal itself but because Northstar carries so many minis I like. I always want to add a box of something else.

Another problem is the sell the extras part. I've sold exactly 0 of the Bones and Frostgrave minis that I didn't want although I did give away a bunch. When assembling my GW collections it was easy to buy big lots cheap per mini and sell off the unwanted bits. Haven't had much luck with other stuff.

6 people like this

9 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 8th of May: How is your willpower when confronted with a "good deal"?  What are some of the things that you told yourself that you weren't going to do or buy, only to end up not being able to resist?

I have a long, long list of things that, at any given point, I would like to buy, but have (so far) continued to talk myself out of getting.  Minis and games are my weak point - to the point where, when I am going to a con, I pretty much have to make sure that I have a shopping list beforehand, with a small amount of discretionary amount earmarked for "stuff that looks kewl, but I will never actually use."

I had resisted buying 28mm American War of Independence figs, but I found a copy of Liberty or Death (which is basically enough to start playing) for about 40% off, and could not pass it up.  Now that I have them, I can hold impulse buys for that era and scale at bay until I get most of them assembled (not painted, mind you - that's crazy talk), and then I will proceed to make targeted purchases designed to give me two fairly equal, vaguely historically accurate, sides. 

I picked up a box of 40k Harlequins last month, because I have always wanted to paint them, and because GW has been doing things right lately.  I might start playing 40k again, though probably not past the Shadow War Armageddon size battles.

5 people like this

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I love getting a good deal on the things I'm looking to buy. If it's something for gaming, I'll wait months or sometimes years for the price to drop on something I really want. Because of that, I occasionally have just enough saved up for a spendier deal that pops up on kickstarter.( ^‿^)I never go "all in" on them, but I've rolled a critical miss or two on a really tough will save. Bones II and Kingdom Death both got me pretty good.

My real weakness seems to be paints. I just love em'! Actually, I just got in 3 Citadel shades and 3 Army Painter ink shades delivered in the mail while I was writing this post. I don't even use washes or inks much at all, but I have rows of them on my paint racks. I credit a couple of cool youtube painters for piquing my interest in the Citadel washes, but the lady on the phone at The War Store told me she much preferred using the Army Painter ink washes. I told her to throw them in. (;一_一)

I just can't resist a strong recommendation for good painting supplies. I also spent 2+ hours last night putting together a small sampling of Scale 75 metallic paints based mostly on the enablers on this forum. At the last minute I gathered up just enough strength of will to avoid checkout. What saved me was the fact that I still haven't used a drop from the last 17 bottles of metallic colors I bought. *sigh* They're just sitting on my paint rack wistfully dreaming about brass bulls and paladins. (▰˘◡˘▰)

6 people like this

6 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I told her to throw them in.

She should get an up-sell award!!

6 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

At the last minute I gathered up just enough strength of will to avoid checkout

I person I work with does this for fun.  Populates a shopping cart with all the things they want, and then closes the browser.  She says it's therapeutic?!? 

6 people like this

10 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Depends. If I really wanted it in the first place, a good deal will probably enchant me.  If it just happens to be a sale, and I don't need or really want it, then there is no problem. A good deal is only good if you get exactly what you want at a reduced price. Otherwise, your being taken advantage of.

5 people like this

43 minutes ago, hdclearman said:

She should get an up-sell award!!

I wonder if she did? It would be cool if it worked out that way, but it was only 3 little quickshades. Honestly, she seemed to be suggesting that I consider switching from the much more pricey Citadel shades to the Army Painter versions. It would've lowered the total cost of my order. When a salesperson suggests going with a less expensive purchase it usually means they are trying to honestly help their customer out. I mostly bought both shade sets because of my own paint addiction. Either way, I'm always grateful when a salesperson offers honest suggestions. We talked paint for a minute, because she wanted to make sure that the shades would work well with what I already use, and it turned out that she was also a big fan of Reaper HDs and especially the normal MSP line for skin tones. 

1 hour ago, hdclearman said:

I person I work with does this for fun.  Populates a shopping cart with all the things they want, and then closes the browser.  She says it's therapeutic?!? 

Whoa, that's the first time I've heard of that. :blink: lol

I just found a few Scale 75 metallic colors and one inktensity that I'd like to try, then discovered they also carried the last 2 Tamiya Clear colors I was missing (Smoke & Clear) along with the proper X-20A Thinner for them. Once I realized that the online shop offered 10% off to people with an account (free) I quickly made an account and added all of the goodies to a wishlist (hooray for wishlists!) so I wouldn't have to track them down individually again. If they ever sent out a coupon code I'll be ready to click buy. Gotta wait for the deals people! :lol:

6 people like this

6/7 working on my mother's day gift.. which i did and its almost finished.  

8th, i am an extremely savvy deal Hunter with an accordion for a budget.. so to keep it brief if a deal is really good chances are I'll impulse buy.  Sometimes i don't even need a good deal. 

For example,  i have just told a friend to not let me go anywhere near kickstarter,  and that good deal cost about  $100 over initial budget.. worth it? Yes,  am i paying for it? My lunch all week  is leftovers and ramen. And I'm hoping i can keep my eyes away from any other deals for another 3 weeks at least. 

5 people like this

12 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

If it was something I was planning to pick up anyway, then I may as well pick it up on sale.  OTOH, a good deal is not going to tempt me into picking up something I have no interest in.

5 people like this

On 5/6/2017 at 10:31 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 6th and 7th of May: Do you have any non-adulting type plans this weekend?  If so, what are they.  Bonus: On Sunday or Monday.let us know if your plans were successful!

Ha!  I spent the weekend re-wiring our home theatre system.  I reconnected some "ancient" video technology: a laserdisc player and VCR, in addition to our current Blu-Ray player and game console.  All this was spurred on by a build-up of dust in the stereo cabinet and the random acquisition of an S-video cable.  

Now we we can again watch most of the films we acquired in the 90's!  That old Pioneer audio tech just won't ever break -- and I'll never get an excuse to upgrade.

14 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I was going to write about how I agonize over each purchase, and end up skipping far more that I want than I ever buy, but my wife just mentioned that one of the Japanese retail hobby sites she watches is going to start a sale tonight and I just know I'm going to keep refreshing the web page all evening long.

Why is it that I can pass up a sale right on the shelf in front of me, but when it's a limited-stock web sale, I just go nuts?  Even Kickstarter doesn't hold that kind of fascination for me.

5 people like this

14 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Oh boy!  Where do I even start on this.

I wish I could say otherwise but my willpower when confronted with a "good deal" is abominable when it comes to hobby related stuff.  On the plus side, it's been getting better recently although that may be due to a self-imposed moratorium on any further game or mini related purchases until I clear some of my current horde of plastic.

12 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Wisdom is my dump stat.

::D:

Ah yes, dump stats!  I'm very familiar with the concept as I have six of them. ::D:

12 people like this

21 minutes ago, Jokemeister said:
  15 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Anyways...

It depends....

I started and bought all the speakers for my home theater system, because Klipsich had a center speaker on sale.....

so I bought a receiver, and a tv, and as I said, the rest of the speakers,(all on sale at least 30% off)

I am also way to easily sucked in by kickstarters as well.....

4 people like this

30 minutes ago, Jokemeister said:

Ah yes, dump stats!  I'm very familiar with the concept as I have six of them. ::D:

Holy cow! That has to be the funniest zinger I've heard in a while! :lol: :lol:

You aren't called Jokemeister for nothing. That gets my nomination for outstanding nerd joke of the month! 

All my lols are belong to you! 

9 people like this

5 hours ago, hdclearman said:

4 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Whoa, that's the first time I've heard of that. :blink: lol

"Online window shopping" is a pretty common hobby.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

"Online window shopping" is a pretty common hobby.

I do it too, I actually do it so often I even learned a few tricks. Such as, if you are planning on buying something in near future you can load the cart up and watch as some of the prices fluctuate the weeks/days prior to buying, which can be a game unto itself (if not a headache if you later learn something was on sale and you missed it cause responsible budgeting is hard)

Or my other personal fave, "the price is right" shipping cost edition.. How much stuff can I load into my cart without making shipping go up, (for sites not offering free shipping) There is usually a sweet spot and finding it can save a lot of hassle with repeat spending. example: If I am ordering metal for jewelry from my prime supplier I know that the package can weigh no less then 13 pounds for it to be worth the hassle. So I need between 13 and 16 pounds of metal each order at a minimum. Or more recently with online brush shopping I found that the best deal is to buy at least 2 of the main brushes in case I broccoli a brush and not have to pay shipping to get the replacement (because I already bought its replacement and its right there) More expensive? yes, but it'll be my first time with a really good brush and there is a 75% chance it wont last for years like I am hoping. having 2 means I don;t need to let shipping costs scare me into being gentle with the first good brush, I can learn and destroy the first and baby the second. (be careful though... i think these companies know I do this and intentionally make these sweet spots in shipping just to beat my wallet harder... and its working.. is there a white mage in the house?)

9 people like this

Question the 9th of May:  All things Bones KS edition!  Did you pledge for any of the Bones Kickstarters?  If so, which one(s)?  If you are waiting on Bones 3, do you have a storage solution ready for their imminent arrival?  Do you plan on pledging for Bones IV?  Can you ever have "enough" Bones?

7 people like this