Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

856 posts in this topic

Question the 11th of May:  What was your first job?  Was it a good or bad experience?  What, if anything, did you learn from it?

7 people like this

12 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 11th of May:  What was your first job?  Was it a good or bad experience?  What, if anything, did you learn from it?

The classic, McDonald's. It was alright. It did help me learn to be louder and less shy.

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

47 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

33 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

The classic, McDonald's.

Ditto.  First job was McDonald's Cira 1988.  Long before the current assembly line set up and they just kept an assortment of sandwiches in a warmer up front. 

It was a paying job, and I couldn't argue with that. 

But what did I learn?  There is a level of teamwork that you discover, but the most important thing I learned was I didn't have the patience for working with the general public. And that's something I haven't done since. 

Edited by hdclearman
10 people like this

Working with my father at his hotel. It was good. I learned how to do plumbing, electrical, install carpet, etc. Handyman types of things that have served me well over the years.

9 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

First job that wasn't mowing lawns or walking/feeding animals for people in the neighborhood was at car wash place.  I was around 14, and I was only there for a month before I quit.  At the time, it was a bad experience, but in retrospect it was good because it was my first real "hands on" experience with an employer engaging in shady behavior. 

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

First job was working for a small, family run office supply store.  It was a good experience overall.  Probably the biggest thing I learned from it was that appearances really do matter.  I always made it a habit to dress relatively well (button down shirt with a tie) while many of the full time employees were barely above casual in their dress.  I was 16 at the time and a part timer, knew a lot less about what was going on in the store than a lot of the full timers, etc.  Yet, almost invariably if someone came in with a question, they'd go to me first unless they were a regular who already knew the full time staff.  Most just assumed I was a manager or something (despite being obviously young) because I was wearing a tie.

8 people like this

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

The first non-babysitting gig I held was a paper route.  It was a learning experience.  

The one thing that stuck with me, that I still use today regularly, is the easy way to open strapping.  

10 people like this

7 minutes ago, ladystorm said:

The first non-babysitting gig I held was a paper route.  It was a learning experience.  

The one thing that stuck with me, that I still use today regularly, is the easy way to open strapping.  

Pulling on the tab on the strapping?

4 people like this

When I was thirteen, I got a job managing a pool hall on weekends. It sounded great, but it boiled down to "sell snacks and soda and call the cops if anything goes sideways." It was actually pretty fun.

While I was working there, I landed a job with the local paper. All the skills I learned... typesetting, compugraphics, cut and paste, linotype, offset printing and non digital photography are now painfully obsolete.

Learned how to write well, though.

11 people like this

I worked for Hardee's back in the day when they still served chicken (similar to KFC chicken).  It was a horrible experience.  I learned that fast food can either be a great experience or a horrific experience depending on the management.  I had the latter of the management.

8 people like this

Taco Bell in 1993.  It was neither here nor there, though there were some influences I probably could have done without at the time.  Let's see...learned to cut away from yourself when opening boxes the hard way and how to wrap a burrito which came in useful later in life when bundling babies.

7 people like this

Checkout clerk at CVS. It was ok but ended badly.

Always get it in writing.

6 people like this

Summer job at a gas station in college.  Learned how to take care of cars and deal with people.  Two years latter I got to watch the National Guard patrol Kent State after the shootings.

4 people like this

Mine was in high school working for the local store of a Hardware store chain; Trustworthy Hardware.  We were just down the street from the other hardware store in town, TruValue.

I learned a lot about tools; what they were named and what their intended purpose was.  I learned how to mix paint and cut keys.  I also learned that sometime the employee discounts can be more valuable than the job itself.  I could get anything in the store for 10% above cost which came in handy when my folk's water heater crapped out.  I also had access to the stores photocopier and for about a cent a copy I was able to obtain manuals to all of the video games and copies of Dragon Magazine articles from the local library.

Plus the minor things like dealing with customers, work ethic, importance of being on time and all that stuff.  I worked there for a year and a half, until the company decided to close their retail stores (they remained in existence as a distributor).  I still have some tools and knives that I bought while working there.

8 people like this

I worked various & sundry factory jobs. The first company that I remember the name of was Aurora Plactics...they made models & slot racers. It was a mind numbing, God awful, boring job like all my factory jobs.

It taught me self discipline & gave me the opportunity to meet people of different ethnic groups...in this case, familiarity bred respect.

9 people like this