Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

846 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 11th of May:  What was your first job?  Was it a good or bad experience?  What, if anything, did you learn from it?

My first job was selling programs at football games at Franklin and Marshall college. I got paid $0.10 per program I sold the first year. I got $0.25 for the second through fourth years. Really good money for a 12 year old, though I only got to do it a couple of times each year. My parents did not expect me to come home with somewhere between $400-600 those first couple of games after my raise. I didn't care for football then, and still don't, but it was a fun job. I learned that selling programs 2 for a dollar tended to get me more than selling them for $.50 each.

My first real job was working in the bakery of the Big Y grocery store. I learned that the fresh french bread was actually frozen.. but still tasted awesome right out of the oven. Boss was kind of a jerk, but the job paid for prom. 

9 people like this

17 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 11th of May:  What was your first job?  Was it a good or bad experience?  What, if anything, did you learn from it?

1) It was painting (1 to 1 scale 'terrain', an apartment interior).

2) It was a bad experience. 

3) That there are people who will break minimum wage laws if they can find a way.  

10 people like this

18 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I worked as a shop scrub for a trucking company my dad worked at. It was, in hindsight a good experience. what did I learn? I learned that leaving that job was a bad idea. Story time!

I was raised a hard worker, it's just what I do, work fast, work hard, just get it done and be done with it. The position they offered me had pay quite a bit higher then minimum wage (at least good enough for a 16yr old) They offered me as many hours as I wanted to do my tasks. I did simple things, tend the landscape, do the annual washing of the office walls, tend the restroom, and once a week every semi needed washing, once a week the whole shop floor needed swept. All of that is easy work no issues. So the tasks didn't take long. After that they gave me free reign to the stocked company fridge and sat me in the breakroom with a newspaper or whatever I wanted. where I would sit and let time waste away waiting for another menial task to be done. And let me tell you I was aching for more. I knew I needed the hours, but I hated the sit around and doing nothing while being paid. I felt guilty doing so, like a waste of time and resources. So I abandoned the job for another.

That's right ladies and gentlemen, I quit my first job because there wasn't enough work for my grubby little hands. Talk about a kick in the behind now that I am older and I understand the joys of doing the job fast and sitting on the clock. If only I had just brought my hobby stuff to work and entertained them with my silly conversation and activities and get paid for it.

11 people like this

I did some work for these people:

Spoiler

768px-US-MarineCorps-Emblem.svg.png

Sometimes it involved this nonsense:

Spoiler

Related image

I learned that I wanted to go to business school.  After business school I learned that Professional Violence was going for a premium while Business Stuff didn't pay squat.  Turns out that Professional Violence money invests just as effectively as capital from other sources, but has a different industry standard for "hostile takeover".

15 people like this

19 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I was 14, summer had just begun, and my mom found out my buddy Gabe was working for a party rental company, and basically talked somebody into letting me work there, too. For those who don't know, party rental companies are the people who put out all those chairs and tables and plates and silverware at occasions like weddings and other large gatherings. Caterers make the food, party rental companies provide the furniture to eat the food on.

For a few days, I laboriously washed endless buckets of forks and knives and spoons, and stacks of plates, dried them, wrapped them in shrink wrap, and when not stuck in the dark, miserable washroom, lined fold-up chairs in long rows in large trucks. It was tedious, and when it wasn't tedious, it was a bunch of lifting. I guess, for most kids that age, that makes for a bit of a bad experience, but I don't remember complaining about it to anybody. I have no idea how much an hour I was making. It was just something my mom told me to go do.

For some reason, the rather grumpy lady in charge called my mom after a few days and told her not to send me there anymore. I seem to remember doing a good job, clueless as a I was about punching a clock every day. I think she got rid of me because she didn't like having two 14-year-olds to deal with. One was enough, and everybody loved Gabe.

Anyway, I bought a cheap little amp, distortion pedal, and guitar stand with that money at a ridiculously good bundle-sale weekend at a smaller music store the following week. So that was a happy ending. My next paying jobs during my teen years were gigs at pizza parlors. Even happier.

What did I learn? Well... sometimes you have to do what you have to do. My mom instilled this notion in me that I must always be a miserably hard working stooge or I will instantly flunk out of school or lose any job I come upon. No sick days, no laying down on the job, all that. This was just one step in that way of being that would eventually land me up at the doctor years later after a massive nervous breakdown following decades of hard work. On the other hand, I've held, and gotten along at, a wide variety of different jobs, white collar and blue collar, both. The ability to keep my head down and just get to work has been a benefit in years when I was sans a good paying job and had to work multiple part time jobs just to stay afloat. I guess my ability to scrub a toilet when in need begins in that miserable washroom, standing there for hours at a time, washing forks and plates.

10 people like this

I started out as a commercial assistant.

I learned this was not my path.

So eventhough I didn't like it and it didn't work out, in the end it was good for me.

I chose another road in life.

10 people like this

Question the 12th of May: What is the worst thing you have had to do as part of any job that you have had?

7 people like this

47 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 12th of May: What is the worst thing you have had to do as part of any job that you have had?

There are just too many moments of horror to narrow it down to a single awful task.

10 people like this

43 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I used to work for an engineer. We had a job with the local Oscar Meyer plant.  At the end of every shift, the packing lines are sanitized by spraying everything down with bleach and firehoses,  and we had to figure out why their sump rooms were flooding. 

It was my responsibility to sit in this sump room next to the pump and log every time it turned on and how long it ran.  OMG, that was such a boring job.

Also, it turns out that during the process of hosing things down,  chunks of lunch meat get washed down the drain into the sump pit. So not only was the boring, but I had to deal with the stench of the rotting meat that both settles to the bottom of the sump, as well as gets spread around when the sump overflows. 

10 people like this

54 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Other than frequently have to tell senior government officials "no", going in to work for 4am through tear gas has to be the most unpleasant thing thus far.  

12 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I don't remember anything that comes across as objectively terrible.

8 people like this

Searching through wreckage for body parts after removing most of the corpses.

9 people like this

Work...

I once had a little job of door to door salesman, I think that was the worst job I ever had.

Trying to convince people to buy something I didn't believe in myself.

Thank Papa Nurgle it wasover quickly..

2 minutes ago, dwarvenranger said:

I think nobody will top this.

That's awful!

12 people like this

15 minutes ago, dwarvenranger said:

You win :mellow:

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'd say dealing with elf holes. Kind of ruins your faith in humanity.

11 people like this

5/12: Not a job, but volunteer work...I was on trash detail for a charity rib contest...literally thousands of people, and I was picking up rib bones and assorted detritus off this giant field with a crew of about 20.  At one point one of the rib vendors asked us to bring a 5 gallon bucket of rendered fat to the dumpster, and as I had the bucket above my head, about to get it dumped into the dumpster, the handle broke and 5 gallons of rendered fat poured all over me.  That was F*)(&^%& disgusting.  I went vegetarian for about a week after that.

9 people like this