Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

1090 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 12th of May: What is the worst thing you have had to do as part of any job that you have had?

Mine are all autopsy related.  Having to view/sort through autopsy photos is never fun, especially when severed limbs of 13 year olds are involved, but the worst was actually attending the autopsy of an 8 month old girl.  It takes a special kind of person to perform autopsies for a living.  Glad I only had to watch.

8 people like this

4 hours ago, LordJosh said:

5/12: Not a job, but volunteer work...I was on trash detail for a charity rib contest...literally thousands of people, and I was picking up rib bones and assorted detritus off this giant field with a crew of about 20.  At one point one of the rib vendors asked us to bring a 5 gallon bucket of rendered fat to the dumpster, and as I had the bucket above my head, about to get it dumped into the dumpster, the handle broke and 5 gallons of rendered fat poured all over me.  That was F*)(&^%& disgusting.  I went vegetarian for about a week after that.

Ugh.  Just, ugh.

10 people like this

2 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

That's a pretty d*** thing to do.

It really, really was. Very frustrating but I just had to bite my tongue and deal because customer service and all.

9 people like this

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 12th of May: What is the worst thing you have had to do as part of any job that you have had?

I got PTSD from doing what I had to do to survive, and what I saw, in hell. I still prefer the old term "shell shocked" but it lasts for the rest of your life through no fault of your own. Anyway, I can't talk about it. Not yet.

14 people like this

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm off the farm, so that there's a lot of things you get used to dealing with. Once you touch placenta, very little grosses you out.

Had to think hard about this one, but I remember when I was unloading product from our trailer at my old job, I had come across a frying pan. With grease still in it. In a trailer that had been sitting in the hot sun for months. The grease was so rancid that it made me gag all the (thankfully short) way to the compactor. The worst thing is that kind of smell just clings to your nostrils.

10 people like this

9 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Once you touch placenta, very little grosses you out.

mmm...  Placenta....

6 people like this

14 minutes ago, Mehman said:

I got PTSD from doing what I had to do to survive, and what I saw, in hell. I still prefer the old term "shell shocked" but it lasts for the rest of your life through no fault of your own. Anyway, I can't talk about it. Not yet.

A good listener knows enough whe he hears a half word.

My Respects and take care of yourself!!!

10 people like this

45 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

It really, really was. Very frustrating but I just had to bite my tongue and deal because customer service and all.

Make me want to write a psych paper about Insecurity of the highly educated people and the length they will go to prove their superiority...

11 people like this

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I've had to do that, and you're right, it sucks. And it tends to suck for weeks or months at a time, with a constant low-level unhappiness interspersed with periods of intense, concentrated horribleness. "Your performance is not at the level that we expect. What can I do to help you?" "Is there anything in this review that is a surprise to you?" "It has become clear to us that we have reached a point ...."

Yeah, that's worse than disgusting cleaning jobs.

I've been in the same situations.  I agree it sucks.  But what does it say about me that this wasn't the even a consideration for me until I read these posts?  :unsure:

9 people like this

10 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I can't say I've had to do anything horribly objectionable at work.  I'd rather keep it that way.

11 people like this

14 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I worked in retail for over ten years, I have had to clean trails of excrement more times than I care to recount. I've even had to clean up after people that decided to finger paint the stalls/walls of the bathroom. I didn't realize on my 19th birthday that the second song off Iowa by Slipknot would be a preview of a good chunk of my career. 

7 people like this

3 hours ago, Auberon said:

I can't say I've had to do anything horribly objectionable at work.  I'd rather keep it that way.

Yah I'm gonna say the same thing. Granted there were things I didn't want to do but nothing that I couldn't do.

7 people like this

14 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Worst job environment was one of two.

there was the boss who started every morning with a motivational speech that began... "There isn't an elfing one of you I can't replace right now."  Which was put to the lie when I dumped out my tool belt, threw it over my shoulder and started walking out of the yard. He chased after me offering me more money and a better spot on the team. I took the money and he stayed a jerk. I quit for good two weeks later.

In this job now, we sometimes have to go work dry-docks in Singapore. There's either the "hot and muggy" season or the "hot and muggy with occasional heavy rain" season. Not a good place to be in a steel box (big damned ship) with limited AC and running water. It's not unheard of to sometimes need to shut off all the computer equipment because it's too hot for the electronics. You'd think people would understand this is also too hot for humans. Apparently some people are either clueless or just don't give a damn about other humans. 

10 people like this

On 5/12/2017 at 6:28 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

23 hours ago, David Brawley said:

I've got nothing... I mean, there's been my share of jerks and stuff, but nothing to compare to what some of you have dealt with.

I've gotta pretty much agree with David on this one. Gross stuff doesn't bother me too much; it all washes off.

5 people like this

20 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Once you touch placenta, very little grosses you out.

Is it just me, or does "Touching Placenta" not sound like an awesome name for a band?

The Egg

5 people like this