Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

1090 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 16th of May: What is one type of food that you wish was more available in your local area?

There's actually two: German and Korean (I mentioned German the other day).  There is Korean food available in San Angelo, but it's limited and they've changed the recipes so Americans will eat it. I want the authentic stuff like I ate over there.

7 people like this

5/16: I wish there were more German restaurants around here.  There's one great place about 30 minutes from my house; but it's so busy it's hard to actually get in.

5 people like this

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 16th of May: What is one type of food that you wish was more available in your local area?

Greek.

Greek would be nice. 

Good, inexpensive breakfast burritos. 

2 hours ago, Aryanun said:

In my immediate area, like, 5-10 minutes from ... house? [...]

Yeah. My immediate neighborhood had one functioning Taco Bell. A few months ago TB decided it was so bad they BULLDOZED it. Down. To. The. Slab. 

There are no walk inside, sit down, restaurants nearby. 

Since then Taco Bell built a spanking new TB on the site of the old one...but I have yet to try it. The weirder their combos get the less I want to go back. TexMex has become FrankenMex.

2 hours ago, Aryanun said:

I'd love a place where they don't play music so loud that people are battling with it and other diners just to have a dinner conversation...

...Such loudness raises my anxiety. <_<

Preach it.

I don't get anxiety in such places. 

So I am lucky there...however:

There is something broken in my head (or I really am not from this planet). 

I cannot follow two audio signal streams...but I have seen many earthlings do this. If the music is loud, I hear that, not the person talking to me across the table. If the waitress asks something, but the people at the next table are chattering about something else, chances are 50/50 whether I hear the server. 

I got just one audio channel. One

But I have seen some of you earthlings talk on a phone and also to a waiter without missing a beat. Or answer questions out of two different conversations...I can't do that

10 people like this

I wish we had a better BBQ place here in town. The one I used to frequent went bad about two years ago, and has been on a steady decline ever since. I also really wish that we had a really good hot dog stand. 

7 people like this

Honestly, I think we got a pretty good food scene here within a 30min drive. I don't think there's a type of cuisine you can't find. If nothing else we're a good food city.

7 people like this

Shrimp!  Actually, most seafood... love the stuff... but, I don't live near water, so we just have the generally available frozen market... so I rarely order any.

Actually, in all seriousness, I wish we had a real honest to goodness farmer's market that we could go to any day of the week that had fresh produce and meats available.  We kind of have one on Saturday mornings... but it's not a vigorous market and isn't in a location where it can grow.  

Other than that, I wish we had variety.  We have 1/3 Mexican food, 1/3 American Food, 1/3 Fast Fried Food.  It's terrible.

I would love to experiment with middle eastern, indian, thai, etc... but we just don't have it.  And, though I like to try new things, it is hard to just pull something from a recipe that you aren't exactly sure what it should even taste like.  So I generally don't...  I just experiment with the base of things I do know and add to or modify.  

8 people like this

I'm largely good where I'm at.  I'm not a foodie but, from what I'm told, many cuisines are represented well in the area.  It's just a matter of finding the place.

5 people like this

Being from Texas I really wish there were a good TexMex place around. Or tacos, our local taco place closed down a while ago. There's one that's being built currently but the sign has said "Coming Soon" since like last September.

7 people like this

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

My friend introduced me to Korean food, and it's something I would really love to have here. As it is, right now we have to drive 2 hours away to find an authentic restaurant. The local palate here isn't as varied as one might hope, but it is as much as one would expect in a rural town. I have an adventurous palate, and I want to try new things all the time.

9 people like this

Only one :blink:?! I'd have to go with Middle Eastern. The flavours you get to experience are amazing.

5 people like this

Tea. Most of the tea houses in the area require reservations weeks in advance.

5 people like this

Seattle has amazing food options if you're willing to explore the different neighborhoods. Tons of great options abound.

What I really want to see though, is genuine Italian food. My work has me in Italy a time or two each year, and the food in some of the shipyard towns is amazing. There's fresh seafood that's more adventurous than most Seattle fare. Also at many places with real wood fired pizza ovens, something in their pizzas doesn't spike my blood sugar. (Different flour? No sugar in the sauces? Real cheese and other ingredients?) And for the most part, in the small shipyard towns the food prices are amazing. For approx $8 USD you can get a huge bowl of fresh steamed mussels that would set you back $30 in the states (provided your area even has fresh mussels available). Dang, now I'm hungry and it's not lunch time yet.

(I've been busy with a work project. I've not had a lot of time to forum around.)

9 people like this

1 hour ago, NomadZeke said:

Honestly, I think we got a pretty good food scene here within a 30min drive. I don't think there's a type of cuisine you can't find. If nothing else we're a good food city.

Same here.  Austin has a great food scene.  Gourmet to run-of-the-mill everyday food and all major genres.  When I first moved to Austin, I was surprised to see an Ethiopian restaurant. It just wasn't something I new existed.

If anything, I would prefer that there wasn't such great availability.  Trying to find something new or novel is getting tough.

6 people like this

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Seafood.

4 people like this