Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

1090 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 18th of May: How many projects do you generally have going at once?  Are you a start to finish of one type; do you work on multiple projects at a time; work on some, abandon them and then pick them back up years later?

I generally have at least three minis I'm painting at once. I also have a bunch of minis sitting up above that got set aside and only receive some love when I have extra of the right paint for them. I waste less paint that way.

Right now I have a bunch of pumpkin themed minis waiting for paint. Their colour schemes are all similar, so painting them will be easy and fun ^_^

Im generally pretty bad about starting things and not finishing them, if I don't have an immediate use/purpose for them. Most of the minis I finish are specifically for a campaign. The ones that aren't usually just sit up top and wait for painty love.

9 people like this

36 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 18th of May: How many projects do you generally have going at once?  Are you a start to finish of one type; do you work on multiple projects at a time; work on some, abandon them and then pick them back up years later?

Since the question specifically asked about resuming stopped projects, I would have to estimate.  I'm probably around 15 projects, give or take. 

But I only have 4 modules that I am actively painting that I switch etween from night to night. 

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

What are we counting as a project?  I just disassembled my compound miter saw workbench last night in preparation for rebuilding it onto a mobile base.  But that's all part of the larger "clean up the garage workshop" project.  I finished painting a bedroom last Saturday, but haven't moved my friend's things in there yet.  So, I guess I'm in the middle of a variable number of projects; depending on how you count them.

7 people like this

I am terri-bad about starting new projects while others languish on my desk.  I have a slightly better success rate for finishing things that I have a near-term use for.  For example, most of my recent completed figures are due to my having a Frostgrave game next weekend.  So, I've been painting up a new warband, some monsters, terrain and treasure tokens.  Conversely, I've been theoretically working on both Necropolis and Overlord warbands for Warlord since shortly after the release of 1st edition.

Part of my "problem" is that when I get bogged down with something I'm having trouble with (color scheme not working out, fiddly bits, major mistake like flooding the entire area with a wash), I usually just set it aside and go paint something else.  Which in turn gets abandoned, and something new gets started.  I've got at least 2-3 dozen figures in progress at the moment.  I really should focus on finishing up some of them.  After I get these three new figure done that is.  Oh and the two thieves I need for next weekend. :zombie:

Just now, VitM said:

What are we counting as a project?  I just disassembled my compound miter saw workbench last night in preparation for rebuilding it onto a mobile base.  But that's all part of the larger "clean up the garage workshop" project.  I finished painting a bedroom last Saturday, but haven't moved my friend's things in there yet.  So, I guess I'm in the middle of a variable number of projects; depending on how you count them.

that's the beauty of how I write these questions.  You get to decide what counts as a project.  for "Getting to Know You", how you answer a question helps me/us get to know you as much as your actual answer.  For instance, some people invariably go straight for the smart-elf answer.  I can then surmise that they are someone who enjoys making smart-elf answers.

13 people like this

Can I just answer "Yes!"? 

More often than not, I work on 2-3 projects at once though there is the occasional piece that I pick up and grind through.  My shelf of shame is reasonably impressive...  The reason my projects get abandoned, most of the time, is because I mess something up or something I tried for the first time didn't turn out as intended. 

7 people like this

I usually have a couple going at once unless I really need to get something done for some reason.  For me, a big part of it is that if I have a couple of projects going at the same time, if I am not "feeling it" on a certain project one night, then there's still something else to work on. 

8 people like this

I seem to have about 3 projects going on at any given time.  I am a finish person, I work on one set of projects before I move onto the next new one. I like having a few projects working, it allows me to not be bored with any one project nor do I feel like any of my painting is "work" that I must complete before I move onto something new. The only reason I have place a project on hold is because I had to stop all work to focus on the PhD program.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm in House Procrastius.... 'nuff said.

44 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

*snippage*

that's the beauty of how I write these questions.  You get to decide what counts as a project.  for "Getting to Know You", how you answer a question helps me/us get to know you as much as your actual answer.  For instance, some people invariably go straight for the smart-elf answer.  I can then surmise that they are someone who enjoys making smart-elf answers.

Hey! :ph34r::blues:

9 people like this

I almost never completely give up on a project. But I might stop for a few days ... or decades.

So the answer is, "uncountably many". 

12 people like this

More than Doug.

11 people like this

Uncountable.  Is a slowly growing interconnected group of paintings and garments a single project or many spread over years?  Are minis themselves a project?

All my projects inform each other, and things I had thought long past (or had been uncertain why I was doing them at the time) have turned up as very important parts of newer things.

I thought I was done dabbling in comic books, with which I had some small involvement in college, but they're reemerging again in a new form, tied up with the science I've been learning and in another facet with the roleplaying gaming I've done most of my life.

Minis came back to me after twenty years.  Now I have a small mob of half-done ones to choose from.

I have Schrödinger's projects.  

13 people like this

I have several projects going at once.  I pick up the project that is inspiring to me that day which can be anything from classic warhammer figures, Reaper Bones, Warmachine, to the newest Star Wars figures.  Some projects sit for about a year, while most only sit for a few months while I ponder them.  It is a lot of fun to figure out what I plan to do then execute the idea.

8 people like this

16 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

This is beyond truth. According to google: 

The Netherlands is 16,040 square miles

Texas is 268,597 square miles

That's almost 17x the area of The Netherlands. I've driven across Texas many times. It's hard to put into words how big it is. It's mind altering the first time you drive across it. I've always wondered how (or if) the perceptions of the US change for Europeans who drive across America. 

"America is a place where 100 years is a long time. Europe is place where 100 miles is a long way." (Roughly paraphrased)

11 people like this

So very many. I have helium hand.

6 people like this