Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

1090 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 18th of May: How many projects do you generally have going at once?  Are you a start to finish of one type; do you work on multiple projects at a time; work on some, abandon them and then pick them back up years later?

Many.

Some do get dropped over time, and some even get finished, but I can say with confidence that I am still in the middle of projects that I started over a decade ago.

Heck, I might still be painting the Warhammer High Elf army I started in 1994. Hard to say, really.

7 people like this

Waaay to many to count! I have miniatures with starting paint jobs on them that are probably close to 20 years now. Models are just as bad. I will admit this winter-spring I've tore into the model stacks & have completed around 11 kits. Even better is I've only acquired 2 or 3 kits in that time. PROGRESS!!!

8 people like this

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 18th of May: How many projects do you generally have going at once?  Are you a start to finish of one type; do you work on multiple projects at a time; work on some, abandon them and then pick them back up years later?

Far, far too many

1 needlepoint, 1 cross stitch, a dozen or so Bones table top quality minis, VAST amounts of dwarvenforge terrain at some stage of painting, 1 quilling project, 1 home decor project, a couple house hold repairs, multiple gardening projects....

10 people like this

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Usually Ill just focus on one project and Ill work on it in steps till its finished. Whenever Im working on a bigger project ill always be working on a mini . I have my project in  row on workbench. So as im painting one the other one is primed and sitting there and ill plan how to color it.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 18th of May: How many projects do you generally have going at once?

20**

Are you a start to finish of one type [?]

Prefer this if doing paid work...

...it was always very frustrating if something got put on hold or hit an impasse (engineering insists the quantity per assembly is four but sustainability engineering insists the quantity is six.)

...do you work on multiple projects at a time [?]

When painting, Yes, because paint goes on; it has to dry; need something to do while it dries; so I will grab a random archer or goblin...

...work on some, abandon them and then pick them back up years later?

With Hobby Stuff: I think of projects; buy material; start cutting or carving; do a basecoat; and/or switch off to something else; think of twelve other creative ideas in the meantime...the ideas show up faster than I can complete them. 

For instance: I have a new sketchbook. The paper in it plays very nicely with Sharpie markers. (One of my favorite things to draw with.) I have done several new sketches in it, I have at least two half-finished sketches in there, and my plan to post one sketch a day in a new art thread until I got caught up has become sporadic. 

**Goblin math to the rescue

Edited by TGP
9 people like this

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Counting my windowsill of shame... 20. :mellow:

D) All of the above. 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

9 people like this

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Q18-1:several.  Glancing at my workbench, I can see that I have 6 ACTIVE projects (meaning I've done something with them in the past month).

Q18-2: It all depends. I have figures that I've sat down, started and finished in a few days. I have some that I work on for a while then switch to something else, then I have some that have been ongoing for YEARS:blink:.

Unofficial Q18-3: sometimes I give a smart-elf answer, sometimes I don't.::P:

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

I usually paint something big ( bust, dragon, diorama etc) while painting at least a human sized or smaller one in between.

Right now, I'm working on a bust, a diorama and I paint smaller stuff in between.

20 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

This is beyond truth. According to google: 

The Netherlands is 16,040 square miles

Texas is 268,597 square miles

That's almost 17x the area of The Netherlands. I've driven across Texas many times. It's hard to put into words how big it is. It's mind altering the first time you drive across it. I've always wondered how (or if) the perceptions of the US change for Europeans who drive across America. 

I did visit the USA before, but that was for work.

Military...I've been there 3 times in 3 years for about a month each time.

I have only visited Arizona, to be precise Tucson, Bisbee, Tombstone and the surroundings. Atlanta was a lay-over.

Thing is, that was paid for and work.

Now, I would either have to go alone, or take my girl with me, but she wouldn't attend Reapercon.

So, for now, I think it's too expensive and a bit selfish if I would do that.

Who knows what we will do when the Vixens leave the nest.

I do want to visit the USA with her in the future, but I'm not sure if Reapercon would be an option, since she wouldn't like it.

She likes my painted minis, but that's it..I doubt she would love to walk around a whole day there..

But who knows?

As for the driving part...

As I said only Arizona experience, but to me, the driving was actually very relaxing.

You have no idea how crowded The Netherlands is when it comes to traffic.

And somehow, the Dutch are always in a hurry, aggressive drivers are the norm.

I liked driving in the USA, but that could change the moment I visited a more crowded area or a big city during commute time..

Edited by Xherman1964
9 people like this

10 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

I do want to visit the USA with her in the future, but I'm not sure if Reapercon would be an option, since she wouldn't like it.

She likes my painted minis, but that's it..I doubt she would love to walk around a whole day there..

But who knows?

Just need a bit of give and take. You do ReaperCon, she finds activities to entertain herself while you're having fun, then later in the trip you do something that she's more interested in than you are.

Basically it's what my wife and I did, she picked out several nature activities to do and I got to go to ReaperCon (but the nature activities were still fun, and she also had a good time at the con).

8 people like this

3 minutes ago, Dai-Mongar said:

Just need a bit of give and take. You do ReaperCon, she finds activities to entertain herself while you're having fun, then later in the trip you do something that she's more interested in than you are.

Basically it's what my wife and I did, she picked out several nature activities to do and I got to go to ReaperCon (but the nature activities were still fun, and she also had a good time at the con).

We do that a lot.

But in the USA? She will cling to me and not leave my side.

Which I like...but that's another story.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I generally have a few going on at once even though I'm mostly a start to finish type person. I have been known to abandon things but not for years (I haven't been painting long enough to go years without painting), Khanjira was one of those for a while before I finally finished it a few months ago. 

ETA: In thinking about it I paint a lot of things simultaneously. I did about 30 figures last month to finish up a game that we should be getting more of soon and last November I did Minivember where I also did 30 figures that would have never been done if I hadn't done them simultaneously.

Edited by SparrowMarie
7 people like this

Is there a prize for not finishing what you start?

7 people like this

5/18: um...yeah...I don't know how many projects I have "in progress" right now, but I'm pretty sure it's between lots and far, far too many.  I probably only finish 1 project in 10, and then I've got boatloads that are "good enough"...my surround sound speakers are "good enough", I've got the cables run, through the walls...I didn't ever bother patching up the hole I cut in the basement stairwell to run said cables, but the basement's unfinished, so it's "good enough".

6 people like this

Re: Abandoned projects.

Please, no one follow the links in my signature of shame. :down:

7 people like this

I have many projects going on at the same time. I've devised a rotational system for all the armies/systems I have that seems to work. Allow me to explain this with a bulleted list ^_^!

First, here are the systems I'm working on:

• Age of Sigmar
  • The Horus Heresy
  • Warhammer 40,000
  • Historicals and other systems (Test of Honour, Post-Apocalypse, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc)

I won't list all the armies for each system because, you know, space, but each of the games gets worked on for roughly a quarter of the year each. It's all very strange because I'll be working on, say, Chaos Aelves of Malal for AoS and then I find myself working on Death Guard for The Horus Heresy. That could shift into anything else after a bit. I used to hate working this way but, after I embraced it, it works out the best for my creativity.

6 people like this