Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

890 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 18th of May: How many projects do you generally have going at once?  Are you a start to finish of one type; do you work on multiple projects at a time; work on some, abandon them and then pick them back up years later?

Lots?  Right now, according to my board, I am working on assembling and priming models from something like 10-15 different box sets or armies, either currently or waiting in the queue.  (I try to work on only one at any given time, but I might finish up the British Line infantry from Waterloo, and then move on to Union soldiers from the Perry ACW box.)  I also have a bunch of terrain projects that I need to get painted up before the lightbox gets here tomorrow, and I have other terrain projects in the design and production phases.

I do it to books too.  I rarely read only one at a time; I generally have a half a dozen books somewhere between started and finished at any point in time.  The library sees me as often as the FLGS does.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Xherman1964 said:

We do that a lot.

But in the USA? She will cling to me and not leave my side.

Which I like...but that's another story.

I think the idea is that you both go to ReaperCon; then you both go do [her thing here].  Together, not separately. 

4 people like this

Just now, VitM said:

I think the idea is that you both go to ReaperCon; then you both go do [her thing here].  Together, not separately. 

Sounds like a plan..

Now the waiting game begins to see the vixens leave the nest...

5 people like this

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 18th of May: How many projects do you generally have going at once?  Are you a start to finish of one type; do you work on multiple projects at a time; work on some, abandon them and then pick them back up years later?

One. I call it THE HOBBY tm R and any other letters I care to add. Seriously, I tend to have several projects running in parallel. That way if I'm waiting for things to dry or materials to arrive, etc I can work on one of the others. Also I tend to paint things in small groups and if I get tired of one thing repeatedly I can switch to something else. I am notoriously bad for never completely finishing projects. Mine drag on for months and usually years. I try to focus and finish things but rarely do. Individual minis or terrain pieces I can finishnrelatively quickly but it doesn't help that my projects tend to be large scale like 100+ mini armies, multiple hills a large river system. Even on the smaller side I have only one Frostgrave Warband 100% complete. It's 20+ minis for a game where you need 10 but I had to have all the options. I have dozens of grandiose plans and a handful of mediocre almost completes. My #1 goal for the year is to finish at least one of my armies to 100% painted and based. Trouble is I can't decide which one it should be so I've been painting and assembling things for four. :rolleyes:

6 people like this

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Generally I work on projects one at a time. I have difficulty focusing on more than that. I finish the one I'm on first before I continue with the next. My orc druid is the exception right now, I'm putting on hiatus so that I can work on my first commission.

7 people like this

9 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'll work to completion if there's a game running and I need the figure for it. Otherwise, I have several projects in various states of work. From small things like several instances of a single "Hey that's cool, I want to paint that" figure; to the big box of Kingdom Death that's mostly assembled (still need to finish the Watcher), but a brush has yet to touch any of the pieces.

6 people like this

10 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

A few so I can bounce back and forth between them and my interest dictate, but not too many or else something will get lost in the shuffle.

I don't really do "years later."  If it was a mini I'd probably just strip whatever paint was on it and start over.

4 people like this

Hell, I still have at least one project on the desk that I began before I left Texas...

5 people like this

12 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Some... usually less than 4 active projects. And I tend to hopscotch between them, sometimes abandoning them, usually not for years at a time, to eventually finish them off. I wish I was a little more focused, but that only happens when I'm doing something where I absolutely have a deadline.

6 people like this

14 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I tend to prime a bunch of minis at once and then leave them on the shelf until I get to paint them.  Not sure if that counts as a multiple projects on the go at once.

Beyond that, I tend to work on 1-2 projects at most.  Generally, I will focus on 1 mini at a time until it's almost complete.  Once it's at the stage where the only thing missing is varnishing and basing (and I do very simple basing as my minis are for the tabletop), then I will start work on the next mini.  This is primarily because I like to wait at least a day between each of those last steps.  For example, seal the mini, wait a day, put sand on the base, wait a day etc.

The obvious exception to this is when I'm painting groups of similar minis.

7 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Re: Abandoned projects.

Please, no one follow the links in my signature of shame. :down:

Subscribed! ::P:

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

... so that I can work on my first commission.

Congrats!!!

6 people like this

19 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

All of them.  I rarely finish one without starting something else while waiting for paint to dry.  Or there's "let's get all these assembled then put them in the cabinet or on the table never to be touched for months (years in some cases)."

4 people like this

What is the next release that you are eagerly awaiting? (could be a movie, book, video game, miniature, toy, board game or all of the above?)  Why are you eagerly awaiting it?

8 people like this

39 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

What is the next release that you are eagerly awaiting? (could be a movie, book, video game, miniature, toy, board game or all of the above?)  Why are you eagerly awaiting it?

I think the closest I get to "eager" right now is wanting to what is going to be in bones 4 and what the SDCC Mattel toy exclusives will be (because then I can know if I need to be jealous or not give a fart).

I'm still looking forward to Wonder Woman, but I'm not going nuts over it. And I'm too poor right now to be eager about anything else.

5 people like this

47 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Bones 4 announcement. I am still so sad I missed the opportunity to participate in the other KS campaigns.  Even though it'd probably be two years until that was fulfilled like the 3rd one was.  The promise of a box full of minis is too beguiling for me to NOT be eager about!

Besides that, the only other thing I am eagerly awaiting for is the next Elder Scrolls series announcement. I can go back and play Skyrim for 1000 more hours, but it has been almost six years and I really want a new one. On the day they announce that, I will jump and cheer and then probably cry because it would be another 3 years before it was available.

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Rick and Morty season 3 and Preacher season 2.  Because both of those things are awesome.

5 people like this