Thes Hunter

02923: Princess of Hell as Vellexia from PF AP WotR #4 - Exchange Mini for Keianna

15 posts in this topic

I like her a lot! I haven't seen that color scheme on a succubus really, except maybe watching Lost Girl. Well painted and well designed! 

2 people like this

Always love a great painted Succubus! Those leathery bat-like wings feel more true to a human-skinned demon, I think. Looking at the module and at your work, I also think you've nailed some similarities down, too.

2 people like this

That's great! You can see the resemblance to the module art. Very nice mini!

1 person likes this

Really just totally cool~!  I really love how she turned out!

1 person likes this

Beautifully done! 

1 person likes this

Thank you so much! I love her a lot. She is indeed very well painted. 

1 person likes this

No problem. I'm glad you enjoy her.

I of course looking at the photos see little imperfections. :lol: 

Like the chipped paint on her left most wing tip. Which I didn't notice after the wings fell off for the 3rd time. 

(I hope they didn't fall off in transit, and if they did, I did include that little bottle of crazy glue. :poke:)

Nice, and those wings are awsome!

1 person likes this

I love that colourscheme!

She looks great and different!

1 person likes this

Echoing the above, the wings and overall color scheme are very real feeling.  Again, I hope that you consider imitation the most sincere form of flattery.

Well done

1 person likes this

I guess I could have gone more red on the wings. The wings were the last thing for me to get done. (Besides the base.) and by the point I was just rushing to get her done before we moved (last year). I wasn't successful, because my husband packed up my paints 2 weeks before we moved. (He want to be sure all the big furniture pieces were accounted for. So the movers could move them.)  So I didn't go back and look at the source photo again until I went to post her up here. (And by now, I just wanted her done, so I could expunge myself of the guilt.) 

So there ya go. 

She looks fantastic!

1 person likes this

Beautiful succubus! Love the colors and especially the human skin tone. 

1 person likes this

I don't use the triads for skin color. I feel the triads don't go dark enough for the shadow or light enough for the highlight. Also I like more of a color shift in the shadow. For example, I'm far more likely to use a tanned flesh or a tanned shadow for the actual shadow color (maybe even mixing in a ruddy brown). Then I'll mix whatever I've picked for my mid-tone and highlight up from there, and then the same for the first highlight color and then to white. I do not remember what colors I used here. Next time I do flesh I'll note them down. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Flaming Tiki
      There I was the hobby store, I had the bones version in my hand when I ran across the metal Pathfinder version, I opted for metal. Still working out my NMM, planning on some color glazing before it's done. I also decided that this dude gets an elaborate base. I don't play with my figs, so they will all be getting the advanced base treatment. I also decided to play with green stuff for the first time. I only have pics of the helmet mods right now, but there's more (next post).

Thank's for droppin in and checkin this out, what do you think?
    • By Jessie
      Painted up this guy a while ago and finally getting the photos up. Tried to paint him like the official art. Thanks for reading!

• By wdmartin
      I'm working on 60067 Nyrissa.  She's a major NPC in the Kingmaker adventure path from Paizo.  I'm trying to follow the reference art from the cover of the AP pretty closely, though I've checked other threads on the forums for inspiration too.

So far I've got a base:

The base is from Micro Arts Studio.  I gouged a slot in it for the tab at the base of her wings.  It's coming along okay, but it's awfully muted.  It needs more contrast -- particularly brighter highlights.

I've base coated her wings.

The wings are 3:3:1 Pine Green/Linen White/Pale Saffron.  The vines are in Formula P3 Wurm Green, and the interior petals are your basic Fire Orange.

It doesn't come through in the photography very well, but in person the blue in the main wings is a LOT more noticeable.  I need to push it more towards the yellow end of the spectrum -- I want them to be the pale, nearly yellow green of fresh leaf growth, before it's had time to mature and darken.  I don't quite know what I'm going to do about that.  I don't really have any pale green paints -- I generally like dark greens, and have a wide selection of those.  I may need to mix something custom.

The interior petals are off to a good start, but need to shift red in the deepest parts, and yellow at the edges.  I'm less worried about those.

I haven't even primed her body yet.  I'm not quite sure how to handle it, frankly.  It's a lovely sculpt, but difficult to work with.  She has a little nubbin between her shoulder blades that fits into the hole you can see in her wings up above, leaving her hovering mid-air.  Literally every other part of the mini needs to be painted -- there's no place to hold the part while I'm working.  Ordinarily I stick the figures to bottle caps with poster putty (as with the base, above), and I just got that fancy Rathcore mini holder thing that I'm using for her wings.  But neither of those will work, because any part of the mini I stick in putty isn't available for painting, and if I stick the nubbin into the cork, that leaves her back inaccessible.  Plus I worry that the pressure of the cork might deform the nubbin and cause it not to fit its matching hole properly.

So I may need to paint her body in two different phases, first her torso/arms/head, and then her legs.  I'll take notes on painting procedures as I go so I can match them on the second half.
    • By fanguad
      I started painting this pair quite some time ago, putting into practice some of the technique I learned in Jen Greenwald's class on painting whites at ReaperCon 2016. I finally put the finishing touches on them last night. Now I want to play a cool psychic character. I don't even know if they get familiars or anything.

• By InvisibleThumb
      As I pondered my choice of wizard for my new monstrous Frostgrave warband, I slowly realized there was only one choice really.  I put his witch, cat, and cauldron into he shopping cart around Halloween time.  I knew I needed one for any legitimate Halloween display of miniatures.  But it had sat unpainted in the blister for a few months while other things took priority.

Back to the frostgrave war band.  So I chose witch as my wizard's school and proceeded to fill the ranks of soldiers with monstrous members like the horned hunter and a medusa archer, couple of tieflings, and even giant rats as warhounds.  I think I am meant to paint up this witch as the wizard.  She comes with a cat that I'm putting on the base with her and a cauldron that I am not.  The cauldron will make a great prop when playing pathfinder and I already have a place for it in the birthday party adventure I have planned for next week.  However the cauldron needs to sit on a fire or bed of coals or something.  I realized I do not even have a campfire token so that became part of this project.

okay, so first I grabbed two 20 mm bases and glued some small pebbles and gravel to them like so:

Next I had to put the witch and cat on a base.  I cut up an old bones base to fill out the bare base with flagstone shapes and glued down more gravel to fill in some of the gaps.  Finally everything got some black primer.

Witch and cat:

fire pit:

The black Cauldron:

All of this happened over the last couple of days.  Have not had much chance to paint since Friday night since we currently have house guests, but still managed to just start to lay down base coats while everyone else was entertained by part of a movie.  Out pale saffron on the Inside of the cauldron and emanations, the cats eyes, the center coals in the fire pit, and the bat in the witches hand.  No, I am not making the bat yellow.  Honestly did not realize it was a bat until I got the yellow on it.  Now I know.

also mixed wreath green with dusky skin to start on the witch's skin.  Oh and also some vampiric skin for the witches hair and for a quick dry brush on the rocks in the fire pit.

Here is where things stand right now.
      Cauldron

Witch

Fire pit.

I would love some ideas for colors on that witch besides black and green.  I can't seem to picture anything else.  
  • Who's Online   33 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)