pcktlnt

Naughty Gears - Scale75 Steampunk Busts (Kickstarter)

I'd be fairly miffed too given the bust they are replacing her with is so completely diffrent.. although its odd, it almost looks like 2 busts were blocked for DMCA violations

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

And now they're removing one of the busts(Mary Reed is being replaced by Amelia Steam) supposedly because of a Copyright issue.

Backers who wanted the Reed bust is getting a bit agitated in their comments section.

I'm vaguely curious to know whose copyright was being violated.

Ok it was the Pirates of the Caribbean looking lady who was removed right? But I noticed on the page many of the other busts with people names don't show up. 

However, I'm getting Bridgette and Jessica. And they both show up. So I have no worries.

From the comment section a question about copy right issues with: Raluca Losifescu came up.

A google image search produced:

corsair-2.jpg

• Like 4

The full size figure certainly seems problematic unless she was made from the artwork and they only had permission for the figure

laslo-forgach-12669595-1069154813137421-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

From the comment section a question about copy right issues with: Raluca Losifescu came up.

A google image search produced:

corsair-2.jpg

I couldn't find mention of Raluca Iosifescu (not Losifescu) in either the main comments or the update where they announce this.  Did I miss something?

At any rate, that is beyond a doubt her artwork that this sculpt is based on.  I wonder where the slip-up happened.

• Like 2

From the Book of Faces:

Scale 75

June 3 at 8:08am · 

[ES] Dada la controversia creada en relación a la utilización de imágenes de Raluca Iosifescu como referencia para alguna de nuestras figuras queremos comunicar que desconocíamos el origen de las mismas y que en cuanto se ha identificado a la autora en un comentario nos hemos dirigido primeramente a ella expresándole nuestras disculpas y ofreciéndole de buena fe una compensación económica, si bien hasta el momento no hemos recibido contestación. Hemos cometido un error que lamentamos y que hemos tratado de subsanar en la medida de lo posible y hemos retirado ambos productos de nuestra web.

Agradeceríamos igualmente que no se especulara sobre otras figuras del catálogo ya que se han realizado con conocimiento y/o bajo acuerdos de diversa índole con sus autores o franquicias.

[EN] Given the controversy created in relation to the use of images by Raluca Iosifescu as a reference for some of our figures we want to communicate that we did not know the origin of the same and that once the author has been identified in a comment we have addressed first to her expressing our apologies and offering in good faith an economic compensation, although until the moment we have not received answer. We have made a mistake that we regret and we have tried to remedy as far as possible and we have removed both products from our website.

We would also appreciate the fact that you don't speculate on other figures in the catalog since they were made with knowledge and / or under different agreements with their authors or franchises.

• Like 4

Ohhhhh. ::o:  Someone copied an image they found on the internet.

That's ... unwise. <_<

• Like 3

Scale 75 claims they did not know, but the sculptor says they sent him the artwork for the sculpt.  She then found another sculpt on SCALE 75's page that was also based on her artwork.

and then this in the FB comments on Scale 75

18813915_10209878550901453_5705924122310

• Like 4

ok, that's totally not cool and makes me wish I hadn't backed them now.

Edited by Corporea
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Corporea said:

ok, that's totally not cool and makes me wish I hadn't backed them now.

"Not cool" is exactly what I thought when I read SamuraiJack's post.

I had to mull it over a bit, because I have myself sometimes been gung ho for miniature unauthorized characters strongly reminiscent of those from favorite movies, TV shows, etc.

think the difference is a matter -- to me, at least -- of relative power levels.  Companies that swipe imagery from powerful studios know they're doing something dodgy and they can get in serious trouble if they are spotted (witness the recent vanishing from the market of all the unauthorized "Doctor Who" "homages").  But companies that pirate the work of lone artists are more likely to get away with it because lone artists have fewer resources to spot and fight piracy.

I see Scale75 says they are "offering in good faith an economic compensation," but that seems a little pale coming only after they were caught.  If I were that artist I think I would be spitting nails right now.

• Like 4

There's a possibility that Scale75 had the rights to make a 75mm figure and thought they had the rights to also make a larger-scale bust. If that's the case, I'm not too worried about it; figuring out contractual rights can be complex and mistakes sometimes get made.

OTOH, if it becomes apparent that they just created derivative work without talking to the artist, I'm seriously considering contacting Kickstarter, since they won't be able to fulfill their contractual obligations, and it will be entirely their own fault.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

There's a possibility that Scale75 had the rights to make a 75mm figure and thought they had the rights to also make a larger-scale bust. If that's the case, I'm not too worried about it; figuring out contractual rights can be complex and mistakes sometimes get made.

OTOH, if it becomes apparent that they just created derivative work without talking to the artist, I'm seriously considering contacting Kickstarter, since they won't be able to fulfill their contractual obligations, and it will be entirely their own fault.

From the artist's Facebook post quoted above:

The other stolen concept Scale 75 used for their miniatures. If anyone recognizes more stolen concepts in their "portfolio", please announce their rightful owners so that we can do something about it. Thank you !

It is pretty clear that the artist was never contacted and Scale75 has never had a license to any rights to reproduce her painting at any scale.

It looks like they have at least two figures based on her paintings.  Someone messed up.

• Like 4

So whose ultimate responsibility is it? 

Is is it the sculptor who created the deriviative work? Should he have contacted the artist to ask her permission to create a sculpture off her work?

Or should have scale 75? Did the sculptor do enough to advise Scale 75 that he was selling derivative work?

i think it would be both their responsibility. I don't know if it's wise to assume the artwork the company is buying comes free of copyright claims. 

Ultimately, I think the company should have been more vigilant in protecting their brand. But from what Ive seen, I haven't seen evidence of direct maliace. So though this is a clear copyright infringement, I will wait to pass judgement if more concrete eveidence surfaces.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      Chibis are super deformed, yet adorable characters that have lately have made a splash in the boardgaming and miniature community with games such as Super Dungeon Explore, Arcadia Quest, Ninja All-Stars and many others. They're also featured in collectible figurines and in other geeky paraphernalia.
      This is the EIGHTH Chibi KickStarter run by Impact! Miniatures and Impact! is partnering with Chibi Capsule and Märchen to bring you some incredible, new Magical Girl chibi miniatures along with monsters for them to combat!
      The funding goal will pay for the sculpting & 3-D printing of the miniatures. And for some of them: The metal masters and resin production molds needed to create mass production of the miniatures.
      The Miniatures  
      ALL miniatures in this KickStarter are provided unpainted. Unless otherwise stated after the name of the miniature, all miniatures offered with this KickStarter will be high quality 3-D prints done on a top end 25 to 50 micron printer (you should not see print lines after priming and paint).   As stretch goals are reached we will unlock additional sculpts.  Stretch Goal may also pay for metal mastering and rubber molds for mass production spincast resin models which will allow the project to offer some of the Magical Girls at lower costs to our backers.  The miniatures will require light clean up, being primed before painted and might need some assembly (although we will do our best to keep the figures with as few pieces as possible).  
      You can use your reward dollars to get any of the miniatures in the listing below.
      Meet the girls!
      MARIYA and the FIGHTING GIRLFRIEND - (70mm tall overall - spincast resin) - $10

Magical Friends
      Monsters & Enemies

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      Over a year ago we started looking at beginning a High-Seas Adventure D&D campaign. However, we wanted to kick it up a notch (or five).

So, we began looking for a great set of 3d Dungeon tiles to help bring the adventures to life for our players. We wanted something that was customizable, beautiful to look at, and was playable terrain. We also didn't want to spend $100 per ship. We realized that customizable didn’t really exist- we had to *choose* if we wanted beauty, or a slim amount of customization. Not to mention that the costs were extreme per ship.. We couldn’t put together a fleet of different ships if we wanted to without breaking the bank.
      Being an Indy designer- Chris decided to start working on something better, and finally- after seeing friends and family reactions to the initial prototype- ShipWorks began becoming a reality.
      Shipworks is modular. What this means is that from the hull to the masts and everywhere in between- you have the freedom to design and print the sailing ship that you want. Not just another generic template, but your minds eye brought to life.
      The ships seen table time ;-)  
      Details and customization is also inside.. ShipWorks is also fully usable terrain- to scale with miniatures common to some of the oldest and greatest table top roleplaying games. Your miniatures can traverse the rigging shrouds and masts, climb ladders and stairs, and explore above or even below decks.

Captain checking the rigging as a swab runs up to the wheel  
      Even our yard-arms are functional terrain- 25mm miniatures bases slide in with ease, and stay there- even when turned upside down!

Upside down can be right side up- depending on perspective.  
      With ShipWorks you get to choose:
      The length of your ship.
      Adjust the width of the ship.
      Your prows appearance, and even the figurehead that adorns it!
      Add more (or less) masts and their length! No messy shaping of wood dowels (unless you’re into that). Add a crows nest or viewing platform.
      A host of customizations to change your hull. From the number of weapons ports to fight off enemies, to creature comforts like windows for passenger cabins. Even sleek flat hull panels for showing off your more merchant elite!
      How you want your sails, from classic square to sharp looking lateen triangles.  If you change your mind- change them on the fly! 
      Your stern-castle and fore-castle (or have neither Captain!)

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      I've never been much of a fan of GW.  I mean the first fig I ever painted was GW, but that's because my friend (who was also the store owner) gave it to me for free (Come on, try it, the first one's free....).
      And I played some Bloodbowl back in the day (should really finish my Chaos Dwarf team one of these days...only been a decade or two).
      But I never really got into anything GW was making. Style wasn't what I was looking for, or the price point, or whatever.
      So then last week I was in Montreal for the GP (great time, too bad the race itself was soooooo boring). Was visiting a friend who lives up there and we wandered into the rather impressive GW store in the Eaton Centre.  Took a look around and caught sight of this:

Apparently a new edition of Age of Sigmar is coming out this week, and these guys are a faction.  Or whatever the different groups are called.
      I thought, "Those are pretty cool!  Flying stuff.  Steampunky.  I like."

Then we left.  And I went and marshaled for 3 days (the support races were better, btw).
      Then we met back up on Monday.  And I was still thinking about the cool steampunky flying ships.  So we went back and I picked up the starter. (they have 2 bigger flying ships too, but ouch, not cheap).

So, this is what they look like when you open the box:

Oye! Lots of bits.  Looks like everything has options (they have a very detailed assembly guide, quite impressive).  Options that presumably follow rules.  Rules I'm not sure I'll ever read, let alone play. 
      But I may check with the local store; I think they had some folks playing something GW.

So that's all I've done with them so far, but figured I'd post and get the WIP started. These may take a bit to get going.

• By pcktlnt
      About
      The Amazons are a new line of 28mm white metal and urethane resin table top gaming figurines from RBJ Game Company. Digitally rendered by Master Sculptor Bobby Jackson and faithfully brought to physical reality by Fortress Figures using cutting edge technology to bring you the unquestionably highest quality metal and resin miniature available today.

Stretch goals apply to any pledge of $50 or more.

(removed due to nudity) SCALE SHOT   PAINTED EXAMPLES   This project is for unpainted, white metal and/or resin figurines. Models are provided NOT painted. Models are scaled to 28mm toe to eye or 1:60. Models are provided with a plastic tab/slot base. White metal figurines are not toys and are intended only for adults. Models may require some assembly, may have sharp or pointed parts and are a choking hazard to anyone prone to put them in their mouth.

SHIPPING  
      On the end of the campaign, each backer will be issued a coupon code via e-mail to redeem at our on-line store for your pledge rewards. This worked out very well last time around seeming to be the simplest way and also allows for some last minute additions if you desire. Shipping fees are not included in the pledge level and will be collected at the time you redeem your coupon code.

Estimated shipping fees:
      U.S. $0 - $5 (U.S. receives free shipping for $50 or more pledges)
      Canada $0-$15 (Canada receives free shipping for $125 or more pledges)
      World Wide $0-20 (Free world wide shipping for $175 or more pledges)

Customs fees, duties, taxes, tariffs and or additional charges incurred at the shipping destination by the receiver are the responsibility of the receiver. RBJ Game company cannot accept any responsibility for additional charges imposed by the taxing authority of the legal jurisdiction of the receiving residency.
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)