pcktlnt

Fulfilling
Naughty Gears - Scale75 Steampunk Busts (Kickstarter)

116 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Sadness. I thought scale75 was suppose to be quality.

The end product *is* quality.

The originality... not so much anymore. Not a classy company anymore.

4 people like this

whelp, that's another company on my "not getting my money" list. A real shame, I quite like some of their stuff, but at least with Reaper and Dark Sword, and a few others, I know I am getting original work, and the artists are getting their deserved mention and payments.

2 people like this

Any word from the other artists who had their artwork used? Anyone do an image search on their Mary read replacement to see if that was appropriated as well?

Some interesting options and changes in the backer kit.  Looks like you could pick multiples of the same bust if you wanted now, which they had originally said you wouldn't be able to do.  They've also added option for 3x paints/35mm figures/75mm figures for a good price.  A better price than they're charging for the individual figures in the backer kit.  FYI, if you go for the 3x Paint set option it tacks on a 15 euro shipping charge, which brings the price up to ~25 euro/set.  You also have the option of picking up certain figures from their other ranges.  Strangely you DON'T have the option to pick the 'new' bust that was unlocked during the campaign and there are no pictures of her anywhere in the backer kit.  Since it doesn't close out till next month, they may add it on later.

I never heard anything back, but it is entirely possible that as an unknown person I was simply auto-filtered.  Someone with Facebook might have more luck getting a response.

1 minute ago, Auberon said:

I never heard anything back, but it is entirely possible that as an unknown person I was simply auto-filtered.  Someone with Facebook might have more luck getting a response.

They replied on Kickstarter about the 'Jessica ' image, basically stating that they had the rights to that subject and could modify as they wanted to use it.  Don't know about any other images.

This question will require someone that knows how derivative art rights work in copyright law, which isn't me. 

If I were to enter and win a Superman contest at Comicon, I couldn't then go and license Superman for someone else to use.  Even if the sculpture was based off of my drawing I suspect DC would still hunt down those involved.  Given that, how can someone who isn't Joe Benitez (or whoever actually holds the rights) give away the rights?  It's not like you can pretend that Victorian women with two mechanical arms are so common as to not be protected.  It was a contest entry after all.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and send my letter requesting a refund. I doubt they'll honor it, since they are not honoring anyone upset by not having the MR bust, but at least I will have stood up for what I believe.  Sigh.  It'll work out.

6 people like this

So it looks like they are getting the pirate re-done.. not as good of a sculpt yet IMO

mary-nueva-busto-2-brazos_large.jpg

mary-nueva75_large.jpg

I forgot to mention, but "Ola" got back to me last week.  Her response was:

Thank you for your letter! Very grateful for your concern.

I see that they have a lot of figures made according to the concepts of the Comicon contest and the works of the famous artists.  And there are even Warcraft figures, characters from the Witcher and from different films.

Is this legal?

Regards

Olga

Now I don't know about you, but to me this does not exactly say "existing working relationship."  Unless is comes out that she's just messing with me, I'm going to put Jessica back in the "used without permission" category.

2 people like this

I very much doubt she is 'messing' with you.

12 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

I very much doubt she is 'messing' with you.

Oh I am 99% certain the first time she visited Scale75 was when I sent her the link.  However, as a stranger met over the internet I must always allow for the possibility of something else.

1 person likes this

If anyone is curious, they commented that shipping will begin on September 15.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

If anyone is curious, they commented that shipping will begin on September 15.

Good to know.  I'll be happy to get these, but given the issues, I doubt I'll be doing much with the 15% code...

3 people like this

Received my pledge today.

4 people like this