I'm going to try again here, and just leave a link to my channel.

I have almost 100 videos at this point, and have covered a lot of stuff. Production is improving with each video. I'm a one man operation whom started filming about a year ago.

So, you will realize very quickly that the newer videos are much clearer, more in-camera, and concise. Patrons are 3 weeks ahead of the regular release schedule.

I release a new video every week.

Ghools' Channel

• Like 8

One of my few Patreons. I am a bit behind in watching but Ghool is very informative, every time.

• Like 5

Ghool you have been the best source for information for me! I have learned so much from your channel so thank you! I hope that I can even get to half the talent you have.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

Ghool you have been the best source for information for me! I have learned so much from your channel so thank you! I hope that I can even get to half the talent you have.

Heh, I'll settle for a tenth!  :)  That said, I do think he has definitely helped me get better.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for posting this!

As a new painter this sounds like it will be a ton of help.

Watching some of his videos this evening ::):

• Like 2

Very cool, I have some Aztec warriors I need to paint up as soon as they arrive, so I'm about to watch your Native American skin one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pineapple said:

Very cool, I have some Aztec warriors I need to paint up as soon as they arrive, so I'm about to watch your Native American skin one.

That's one I should re-shoot with some better models. I need to get some near-nude models for the flesh tutorials methinks.

Seems the best way to demonstrate.

Anyways, don't go into it with high expectations. :ph34r:

Edited by Ghool
  • Like 3

I brought this up in the Patreon comments, but I think doing something not-Warmahordes would be amazing. For example, do some promotion along with Hasslefree and teach skin colors and variation on a naked dude and dudette. I think that would be a little more interesting from the "theory" POV, but I don't know if it would help with the more "wargamming" crowd, so... pros and cons. 

Perhaps also show how nice and quick results can also be achieved for those armies with a lot of flesh... stuff like sketching or zenital priming + washing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Willen said:

I brought this up in the Patreon comments, but I think doing something not-Warmahordes would be amazing. For example, do some promotion along with Hasslefree and teach skin colors and variation on a naked dude and dudette. I think that would be a little more interesting from the "theory" POV, but I don't know if it would help with the more "wargamming" crowd, so... pros and cons. 

Perhaps also show how nice and quick results can also be achieved for those armies with a lot of flesh... stuff like sketching or zenital priming + washing.

I'm waiting for my Massive Darkness pledge to arrive so I can demo zenithal priming and 'juicing' the model a la Thomas David.

It's a great method for getting quick and yet high quality results.

I did a written article 6 years ago Here.

I have a naked man and woman coming from Uncle Mike soon, which will feature in some flesh and hair videos.

As for wider variety of models featured? Already taken care of. :B):

Edited by Ghool
Picture links in the article are broken!!
  • Like 4

Honestly, I looked at your Patreon because I was amazed at your early HandCannon Online posts and an old video series about 2BB. I am really happy about the content so far, keep it up.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Willen said:

Honestly, I looked at your Patreon because I was amazed at your early HandCannon Online posts and an old video series about 2BB. I am really happy about the content so far, keep it up.

I'm making some changes and improvements for Patrons. Go take a look.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2017 at 0:31 AM, Ghool said:

That's one I should re-shoot with some better models. I need to get some near-nude models for the flesh tutorials methinks.

Seems the best way to demonstrate.

Anyways, don't go into it with high expectations. :ph34r:

It still gave me good ideas!

The Aztecs arrived yesterday as well. Unfortunately the company goofed the order a bit, so I have to work that out with them so that I get the right models. (And I've gotta finish this paper first anyway. Dang grad school...)

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Xumenicus
      I'm starting to get lost here, so I figured I'd make an index of stuff I've posted. Many of these are loaded with enough pics and text that they're almost mini-tutorials. Questions and comments are always welcome. If you don't get a reply within a couple days, find me on Facebook, or add me on Battle.net (Xumenicus#1118).

ReaperCon Final Photos

2016: https://reapercon.com/mspopen/2016/artist/Joshua Anaya

2015: https://reapercon.com/mspopen/2015/artist/Joshua Anaya

Projects

Massive Voodoo Water Base (No Minis)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77445-massive-voodoo-water-base-no-minis/

Pathfinder Seoni Bust (ReaperCon 2016 Open Gold)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71475-pathfinder-seoni-bust-reapercon-2016/

Dagon's Emissary (ReaperCon 2016 Diorama Silver)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71496-dagons-emissary-reapercon-2016-parts-03707-and-03497/

Grudge Power Armor Bust (ReaperCon 2015 Open Gold, Bronze Sophie)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71528-grudge-power-armor-reapercon-2015-bronze-sophie/

Dark Sword Mole Alchemist Diorama (ReaperCon 2015 Diorama Gold)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71534-dark-sword-mole-alchemistdiorama/

Ork Timberwolf Vehicle (WiP)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71497-ork-timberwolf-half-scratch-half-gw-stompa/

14479: Dryad (Heavily adminned because she's female. Haven't gotten around to fixing.) (WiP)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71536-14479-dryadbut-more/

Power Armored Dwarves (WiP, and possibly forgotten and/or lost)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71652-power-armored-dwarves/

Caddisfly Larva (Fishing)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72652-caddisfly-larva-something-completely-different/

Completely Failed Tower Implosion Diorama (Dead)
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71535-completely-failed-tower-implosion-diorama/

Informational

Me hijacking somebody else's thread, and using it to track conventions in Colorado
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77238-colorado-cons/#comment-1636600

• By Xumenicus
      Standby for massive dump in 3... 2... 1...

Chopping this up into a few pieces for easy posting/consumption.

Where I've been: Video games (Xumenicus#1118, if you're on Battle.net), bought a new house, running a fly fishing tournament for a treehugger non-profit, part-running my treehugger fly fishing non-profit local chapter, some other random stuff, and yeah -- here we are. I promise to paint more. Seriously. I just need to paint and sculpt more. I also need to fish more. And game more.

I guess this is a thing: Apparently, I need deadlines in order to get anything done. This time around, since I couldn't make it to RC2017 (travel budget blown on BlizzCon), I aimed for a couple different challenges over at Massive Voodoo: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2017/07/mv-challenge-2017.html

Objective: Make a water-themed base. No central miniature, no real focus -- just a base. And it has to be mostly water.
      Disclaimer: I'm not at all confident, or consider myself proficient with clear resin. I wasn't sure how good/bad/terrible this piece would turn out, so I didn't spend days painting this. It's got a few rough layers of highlights, a few rough layers of shadows, and basically I just wanted to turn something in, have fun doing it, and not stress about being good enough to win. The MV crowd is amazing -- I was just trying to get closer to touching the sun. :)

Supply List: Wood, coping saw, cyano super glue, wire, green stuff, sculpting tools, paint, brushes, old brushes, Ease Release 200 Mold Release Agent, plastic Solo cups, nitrile gloves, popsicles sticks (fox mixing resin), Castin' Craft® Clear Polyester Casting Resin, small sheet of plasticard, duct tape, Tree House Studio Clear Acrylic High Gloss Coating spray, sandpaper (100, 200, 400, 600, 1000 grit), Woodland Scenics Lichen, Woodland Scenics Water Effects, fly tying thread, level for leveling the curing area

I did a few sketches one night so I could figure out what to do, and this is where I ended up. I thought about doing a waterfall, or something cooler, but I was kind of in a time crunch, and only had 3 weeks, especially since things are still calming down from moving.

[pic_00]

Picked out a piece of wood from my scrap pile...

[pic_01]

Went to work with a coping saw until I had a pleasing, interesting shape...

[pic_02]

Learning from past mistakes with trying to get green stuff to adhere to wood, I opted to seal the wood this time. I used cyano, and 2 old brushes. It actually works really well as a wood sealer ( http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/cyanoacrylate-everything-you-need-to-know/ ), but you need to be extra careful due to the amount being used -- more of a chance to glue yourself to something, glue to project to something, and the fumes will sneak up on you real quick, and burn your eyes or nose. Fair warning. Be careful.

[pic_03]

I opted to use green stuff for the project. That's where my comfort zone still is, even though I'm trying to work more with Beesputty and ZBrush. The bit of twisted copper wire there is to support an additional column. Do an image search for "limestone underwater caves", and you'll see where I'm going with this.

[pic_04]

More...

[pic_05]

A little more...

[pic_06]

Starting the tree. Do a search on "limestone cliffs trees roots", and you'll see where I'm headed even more.

[pic_07]

• By ub3r_n3rd
      I recently discovered that I really liked listening to D&D games being played while painting.  I watched/listened to a few videos with Matt Mercer DMing some really cool games. 

What podcasts/videos do you all like to watch/listen to?
    • By 72moonglum
      Hi All,
      So for those that pay the least bit of attention to what I paint, you may have noticed that I paint mostly Ral Partha  figures, which is a brand I really do enjoy quite a lot.  I've been painting figures for their online catalogue for a number of years, and I just recently tried my hand at my first little tutorial, which was posted over at their site.  If you are at all curious, you could find it here:

http://www.ralpartha.com/index.php/blog/119-painting-guide-eyes-and-faces

It is by no means the end-all, be-all of painting eyes, but just shows the way I typically approach painting eyes with four recent examples of figures that I've done. I think it almost feels like a WIP for four different figures. So anyways, have a look, hope you enjoy it, and hopefully somebody somewhere can get a little bit of eye-painting inspiration!
    • By Corporea
      EDITED: I tried to fix the pics since the originals were on photobucket.  Apologies if they're a bit off!

Ok, face painters!  Have you always wondered how to get nice smooth skin blend?  I'm going to do my best to take you step by step through a face.  I could probably be persuaded to also move on to other skin areas, but let's start simple.  Now, while snapping photos I realized this blending is not going to be as neat and clean as I usually like it because the photoing process did interfere with a few layers.  But, we'll get it smooth in the end!  Are you ready?!

First things first: A large model, to better illustrate what we're doing!  And our materials.

We have Yephima, cloud giantess, a W&N #2, and RMS paint!  I used fair skin as my flesh color, and I'm going to shade with porcelain rose and spattered crimson and highlight with pure white.  This should give us a nice warm flesh tone.  I'll also use walnut brown on the eyes.  After snapping this, I also realized I wanted blue eyes- so I added ashen blue for the iris.  Porcelain is a retired color.  You can sub punk rock pink or just mix spattered with white and it'll work just fine.  But I had it, and I like it, and if I keep using it, maybe reaper will bring it back!

1. Step 1: basecoat the face with fair skin.

Hey!  My model has a little face blemish!  Oh no!  What can I do to fix  this?  Never fear, face painters!  Just take a little bit of brush-on sealer and cover the blemish with a nice layer, and it will smooth out.  You can then put another layer of basecoat on top.  I did a total of 3 layers of flesh, mainly because I forgot to wash this model and I had some adherence issues on the chest.

2. Step 2: The eyes!

Line with walnut.  Doesn't have to be perfect.  You can always touch up with flesh.  Paint the sclera white.   Pure white probably isn't as good as linen or leather white, but I'm trying to limit our palette.  Add the iris- ashen blue, as you can see.  Here's where we pick the direction of gaze and try to make the eye "look" in the same direction.  Takes some practice to figure our what works and what you like.  Again, if paint goes where you don't want it, just touch up.  Hmmn... I could have sworn I took one with just the blue... at any rater, after the blue is down add the walnut brown pupil.  Then dot the pupil with white.  Sorry, that back eye is hard to see.  Usually there's an easy eye and a hard eye.  Some people start with the hard eye.  I start with the easy eye, so at least one will look the way I want!

3. Step 3: Breathe.  Don't forget to breath again now that the eyes are done!

4. Step 4: Shading.

This is a lot messier because I'm pausing to photo- sorry!  First I lay down a thin glaze of spattered crimson all the way to the edge of the walnut, then clean the brush and just smooth the edge out using a damp brush and some feathering type strokes.  Thin is better.  See how nice and translucent this layer is?  You can easily see the flesh underneath.

I went back in with a thin glaze of my flesh to reclaim some of that cheekbone from the shadow.  Then proceeded to put some crimson on the side of the nose and smooth it out.

I really tried to catch each specific step.  But- you can see how thin the layer is, then how it smooths with a damp brush.   I usually do a few layers of this and reclaim my flesh with a thin glaze if I feel I have too much shadow tone.  The crimson will mesh nicely with the walnut so that it looks like she has nice intense Maybelline lashes!  Er- probably don't want quite this much contrast with a male face.  If I were doing this on a male model, I'd pick something like ruddy brown to line the eyes.

More soon!

• Who's Online   31 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)