haldir

Sunless Citadel 5e

Fionn smiles and strokes his beard thoughtfully, with the expression of a man looking forward to an interesting adventure..

"Ah, so it's the Citadel, is it? I'd been meaning to wander over there to see it for myself one of these days. T'would seem I now have a pressing reason for the journey... I believe I remember the twins, and their mother (though my first impression of the latter wasn't particularly positive).

Unfortunately, my knowledge of the area around the way to the Citadel is a bit less comprehensive than might be necessary, so we'll likely be needing some good maps or a knowledgeable guide to show us the way..."

He pauses, as if struck by a thought, then smiles again.

" I assume you worthy gentlemen will be accompanying me on my journey?", he says chuckling.

"Tell us, my dear Garon, the details of the twins' departure, of this Sir Bradford, and what you know of the current state of the Citadel."

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

"The Sunless Citadel, is it?  Now doesn't that sound foreboding.  Not the individual words that is; sunless doesn't bother a dwarf and I've lived in an underground citadel practically my whole life.  Now put them together, with I assume a capital S and C, and then that seems to be a story involved.  So what is the story, hmm?"

• Like 1

"Aye, Sunless." Garon says

"Hundred Years ago the Citadel was just like any other structure of it's size before Mt Hotenow erupted & a great cataclysm spread across the land. Legends say a great dragon was the cause of the eruption. The cataclysm caused the Citadel to fall into a deep ravine. Oddly allot of the structure survived the fall. Magic & Mysteries I guess."

"All you have to do is follow the Old Road, the road passes right along the site of the collapse. Just stay on the road & you won't miss the spot."

"Sir Braford was a paladin of The Morninglord. He was like yourselves, a adventurer looking to help anyone in need. The twins wanted to show that they could do something big for themselves & decided to explore the ruins. A local ranger, named Karakas met them outside of town. He was in town getting some supplies & decided to join up."

"They left that morning & we've haven't heard anything from them since. Besides yourselves & the twins the only other person to even ask about the Sunless Citadel was a druid. He called himself Belak. He had a giant toad with him. He was a odd fellow. Defiantly wasn't from around here either. In a way I was kinda glad when he left, as he gave me the heebee-jeebees."

He pauses & strokes his beard before continuing

"Come to think about it, that was 13 years ago. Crazy how time flies."

"As for the Citadel itself, all I know is goblins at least live there. Oddly, some of them come up twice a year & set up a booth outside of town. They set up at Mid-Summer & at Mid-Winter. They only sell one thing. A large apple & that itself is the odd thing about this whole thing. The apple in the summer is very large & a bright red. It's what you call a "perfect apple". The winter one is a pale white one."

• Like 1

"Goblins growing apples? Now, that is something I believe I need to see... This journey seems to get more interesting by the minute."

• Like 1

Daton raises an eyebrow...

"Goblins living in ancient ruins, coming up twice a year to sell a solitary apple? That sounds ominous. What usually happens at the sale? To the fruit? How long have they been doing this?"

Daton pauses for a half-second, as if to wait for the answers, but then his eyes widen with a sudden realization.

"And if the goblins live in this dark, sunken, Sunless Citadel, but also sell an apple, then where do they get this apple from? By Lathander's live-giving light how do they grow this fruit?!?!"

• Like 2

"Interesting? This is yer idea of Interesting? A paladin, a ranger, and two kids," looking at Garon "they were kids right?"

"Anyway, as I was saying, a paladin, a ranger, and two kids walk into a citadel and don't come out sounds more like a horrible joke than interesting."  

Looking at Daton, "And you, the Apple is yer concern in all this? So which is it, are we saving the foolish kids or baking a pie? Actually pie does sound good, you don't perchance have any do you good sir?"

• Like 1

Daton slams his fist on the table (d20+str 14+3 = 17)

"Listen here. This is about priorities. You and I both know the mortality rates of "seekers of adventure", and if it turns out those kids are still alive there isn't a pit fiend in the Nine Hells that'll stop me from bringing them back safe and sound! But this apple, somehow grown in absence of Lathander's light shining down upon it, twice yearly, by goblins, stinks of ill omens for this entire town! If you think whatever they're doing down there to grow such apples is not trouble, then you are a fool."

• Like 1

Kheldarin snatches a hand out to grab his ale before it can spill from the force of Daton's fist. (d20 + dex 19+6 = 25)

"Aye, priorities.  For one, easy on the ale, there's kids involved so I only gettin one! Of course the apple's weird, but these folks have been letting them sell it fer years now presumably, ye really think they know anything of the foul reasons behind the actions of the goblins? And if they do, the fact they continue to allow it would suggest that they are in on it themselves, none of which meshes with our whole reason fer being here, the fact that this kind barkeep has put out a call to help the kids."

Khel quickly downs the rest of the ale.

Eóin ignored the others for a moment while he dwelt upon the names Garon had mentioned.  Balek wasn't a local, so perhaps he had heard the name or even met the man at some point.

[investigation: 19+4=23]

Eóin : You don't come up with anything on the druid.

"The kids? Well I tend to call younger then myself, kids. ha ha. The twins were in their early 20s. 21 to be exact." Garon says

"The apple sale. Well I can say that only a few people would go up to the goblins & even then the apple only sold for 50 gold. Someone said that was all they were willing to pay a goblin. The red one is the only one that sold. The white one no one would bother with that one. It was a very odd apple. The last person that bought a apple was a traveler last summer, but the last local to buy one was Kerowyn Hucrele herself. You may want to talk with her for more information."

With that Mary comes back with the food. Everything looks delicious. With that arrival Garon says

"Well, I'll let you enjoy your meal but please think about my request. I will add I will provide free room & board to anyone that goes to the Sunless Citadel & brings back some sorta evidence of the twins. Hopefully the twins themselves but if only proof of their death, so be it. I will also offer up a reward of 100 gold pieces as well."

• Like 1

"Thank you kind Sir. While they might not be quite so young as I was thinking, that doesn't change my willingness to help out. If anything it makes it a bit less of a fool's errand as they may well be able to take care of themselves, even if they may have been over eager.  Rest assured, we'll get to the bottom of this."

"Well, sir, I myself am certainly more than intrigued enough to go to the Citadel to look for the twins and their knight, and to discover what has possessed goblins to become apple farmers. It seems to me that perhaps this druid Belak must have had something to do with that."

Fionn turns to the rest of the group.

"Gentlemen, I propose that unless anyone else can think of anything more to inquire about, we should perhaps get ourselves settled, use the rest of the day to seek out any provisions we might need for the journey and whatever information about the goblins, the twins, the knight or the druid we may glean from these worthy townsfolk, and then perhaps on the morrow pay a visit to Mistress Hucrele to see what she may tell us about these apples before we set forth for the Citadel...

I personally would like to take some time today to look about the area for one of my fellow druids or perhaps a local woodsman to consult with them about these events, and to ponder the nature of these apples."

(Nature check, when Fionn can find a few spare moments, to see if I know anything about the apples: 14 + 2 proficiency + 3 wisdom = 19)

Edited by Mad Jack

Fion: You don't seem to recall anything in regards to these apples.

If the party accept Garon's offer, he raises his arms & says "Wonderful! Thank you for your kindness. As stated, your room & board is free while you explore the Sunless Citadel."

He goes behind the bar & returns with keys with a number tag on them for everone. He presents them to everyone.

"Good luck with your expedition." he say & he takes his place behind the bar once more.

• Like 1

"It is already afternoon.  I agree with Fionn that we spend what remains of the day making our preparations and then head to the citadel in the morning."

• Like 1

"Hmmm, ye may be right, perhaps we should wait til morning to head out.  It being afternoon and these 'kids' being actually adults or close enough means . . . Garon good Sir!  Another ale!"