lowlylowlycook

A platoon of the Kagnew Battalion

In 1935 Ethiopia was invaded by Italy.   Emperor Haile Selassie went to the League of Nations and asked for help but none was forthcoming.  The minor sanctions imposed on Italy did nothing to stop Ethiopia from being conquered.

In 1950 North Korea invaded south Korea.  South Korea and the US asked for help from the new United Nations and Haile Selassie sent part of his Imperial Guard to help. They were all volunteers and called the Kagnew Battalion.  The Kagnews  were given US weapons left over from WW2 and fought as part of the US 7th Infantry Division.  During the war the were three rotations sent from Ethiopia.  Far from a token force, the Kagnews suffered 121 killed 536 were wounded but there were now POW since the Ethiopians refused to surrender.

I'm going to put together and paint a platoon or so of the Kangnew along with some US support for the game Bolt Action.  I'm starting with some late war (WW2 that is) US infantry from Wargames Factory.  They are a bit slim compared to a lot of WW2 ranges so they fit the Ethiopians pretty well.

I started with a few test models.  The one on the right was an attempt to use green primer and a wash.  The one one the left was done using Reaper's olive triad and a wash.  

Kagnew_TEST2.thumb.jpg.e4f2e17c6779dcca62f1b0f0e28a0ad6.jpg

The second looked better so I started working on the uniforms.

Kagnew_2.thumb.jpg.1adea28391cc70bd9245c1d927567f7f.jpg

Oh and I decided on some rocky bases so I did those up before starting to paint.  They'll get flock and grass later.

• Like 8

Looks Good!

What skin tones are you using?

Have not tried Bolt Action, but have heard good things...

FoW player myself....

If they don't have too much skin to paint I do most of my Ethiopians with a reddish brown HD paint, I forget the name.  Then I have a strong black wash I put over it.  Sometimes I do some highlights back in.  

I do tend to  vary it up a bit just because Ethiopia is a pretty diverse country when it comes to ethnic groups, but that's the default.

I meant to use the inspiration of the Kentucky Derby to finish off the horses of the Penne di Falco but I ended up working on these instead.  

Decided that sanity required not working on all 30 at once so picked some out to start painting the webbing on.  Did that then put on a wash on their uniforms and webbing.

Kagnew_3.jpg

I think the backpacks will need some lining with Burnt Umber before I'm done.

• Like 4

With some non-green colors these guys are starting to look better, IMO

Kagnew_4.jpg

Washes need to be applied to their skin and boots.  Then it's on to helmets.  Helmets with mold lines still on them...

BTW, the base color I use for the skin is Ruddy Brown.   I think putting on this green primer makes it a bit darker than on my usual Vallejo grey primer.

Also started a thread to talk about Historical Rules in the General Modern/Historical section.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 5

I was totally going to finish off those horses but somehow worked more on these guys.

Kagnew_5.jpg

I think they are basically done except for the helmet straps.

• Like 5

Somehow I couldn't get the matt spray to work on these guys.  Tried both W&N and DullCote

Kagnew_6.jpg

Got some reinforcements from Black Tree Design

Kagnew_TEST4.jpg

Kagnew_TEST3.jpg

The ones without helmets should work without head swaps so that will be nice.

• Like 7

Little green army men, I use to play with these as a small boy....wait a minute....

Looking good man.

• Like 1

Moving on to the HQ and weapon teams, I've got a basecoat, shade and highlight done on the uniforms.

Kagnew_10.thumb.jpg.cf4819ee18f6113d401301f60817934d.jpg

Top is a Machine gun team (their camo helmets have been swapped out), a forward observer team (will be painted up as Americans), a flame thrower team, and an extra guy with a walkie talkie.

Bottom is a mortar team with spotter, bazooka team and the Ethiopian Lieutenant (with the tommy gun) with an US adviser (using the binoculars).

• Like 3

Some very nice work. Each batch seems to be a bit better than the last. Nothing like practicing on whole bunch of minis at once. We should get you into one of the big battalion eras like ACW or Napoleonics.

Some more paint on these guys.  Time for some washes.  Also I remembered to work on the bases before I did their boots.  You can also see that I didn't remember that some of the teams are just on temp bases until I had put on the spackle.

Kagnew_11.thumb.jpg.fc514a4122df0490e99e6a0f13de6a3b.jpg

• Like 2