Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeepnewbie

Question About Bones

12 posts in this topic

Just getting back into collecting minis after a long break. My buddy talked me into picking up some Bones.  So my first purchase was the World Breaker, a pirate, and a werewolf all from the bones line. When I was collecting before I mostly collected metal. I did buy some plastic GW skeletons just to have a bunch on hand. I never really liked the plastic, I liked the weight and feel of the metal. 

My questions are how well do Bones hold up?  With all the flexing does paint fall off easier?  Do they start losing form after a while or storage in a warm area like an attic?  If I wanted to mod one would the reaper weapon packs weigh too much causing it to lose form?

Thank you for any input. 

There are several pinned FAQs in the Bones forum subsection that you might find helpful.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for putting in the correct location. 

Also thank you for the link, it has a lot of great information. However it doesn't have any of the answers I was looking for directly. For instant if I remove the resin sword and replace with the pewter sword would the weight difference deform an outstretched arm over time?  Would I need to drill the whole arm to put a small wire it it for strength?  Does the flexibility cause paint to chip easier?

I'm going to be purchasing more and may want to convert some of the weapons. Thanks again. 

Edited by Jeepnewbie
Grammar
1 person likes this

So there is good news and bad news about conversions involving weapon swaps.  The bad news is that yes, putting a pewter weapon on a Bones mini will probably cause distortion from the weight.  The good news is that Reaper had Bones weapons in their last Kickstarter, and that will be fulfilling starting in a week or two.  So there will be a bit of a wait for the weapons packs to get to retail, but they are coming.  The even better news is that it's a lot easier to mod Bones because they are easier to cut and glue.  So for the moment you would have to scavenge for bits between models or find plastic bits from another manufacturer, but long term you will have a great solution. 

Paint flaking off does happen rarely, usually from not washing the model before painting.  The thread Wren posted above has a lot of tips that will help avoid problems.  I haven't heard of anyone having issues with paint recently, and if you stick with either the Bones or HD lines of paints you should get really good adhesion.  (If you don't want to use those paints then I recommend starting with a wash of Reaper's Brown Liner for optimal longevity.)  I have 4 painted PCs that I carried around in a small plastic container with no foam or padding and none of the paint has come off after a good few years of use.  I even modified one of the weapons and can bend it around and the paint is still perfect.  I let rowdy tweens play with my painted Bones and no problems so far. 

And just for fun, here's a durability video review from a few years ago.  ^_^

1 person likes this

I haven't noticed significant bending from the few weapon swaps I've done. Maybe, over time if left in the same position...

The good news is that after priming, painting, and finishing the Bones models get a lot stiffer and won't flex as much as they do when new.  Large models with spindly legs often need support, though. 

1 person likes this

Awesome thanks for the info. I hope reaper keeps on producing the metals cause they are great, and I will like to buy more. However looks like my next purchase is gonna be a lot of bones, including Cthulhu, and a couple of Giants. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Stick with metal for humanoid sized minis.  Go bones for anything bigger.  Imo.

Edited by JGF
3 people like this

1 hour ago, JGF said:

Stick with metal for humanoid sized minis.  Go bones for anything bigger.  Imo.

In general I agree with this, unless you want an inexpensive hoard of kobolds, goblins, bugbears etc. Then go for Bones.

4 people like this

I tested the durability of the paint film pretty thoroughly in one of the FAQs? Look for the section titled Testing the First Coats for Durability. Tests included tossing loose figures in a box into my dryer, and a previous test that was more real world and with figures that had a major weight bearing flex point. In short - what you use for a first coat affects how likely paint is to flake off of stress points.

Some of the other FAQs also address the plastic form questions. It's a memory plastic. It can change shape when you expose it to heat, but drifts back into correct shape over time, or can be 'snapped' back into correct form with another heat application. So it won't deform. But you also cannot reshape it permanently just using heat as you can with some hard plastics and resins. Permanent conversions require cutting and regluing.

I haven't tested weight effects of adding metal pieces to Bones, but happily other people who have are weighing in on that!

4 people like this

Awesome thanks for all the great feedback. 

I swapped out the sword on this model with a metal axe from a malifaux sprue and I've had zero issues with it sagging. That said, it's nicely sized for the figure and a pretty thin/light metal weapon. I can't imagine metal weapons making things sag unless it's a very small mini or a very large weapon TBH.

1 person likes this

I've swapped metal weapons onto a couple of bones minis and had no sagging problems. That being said, if you give a halfling a "Cloud sword" be prepared for it to maybe sag and probably fall over. :lol:

On 5/6/2017 at 7:55 PM, Jeepnewbie said:

Awesome thanks for the info. I hope reaper keeps on producing the metals cause they are great, and I will like to buy more. However looks like my next purchase is gonna be a lot of bones, including Cthulhu, and a couple of Giants. 

I advise waiting to buy giants until bones 3 is fulfilled and the new giants are available at retail. They sized up a lot of the old giants and added a few new ones. They're totally amazeballs.