HarrowMonkey

What paints should I buy ?

20 posts in this topic

Hello All,

This is my first post and first venture in to paining minis , so please be gentle and forgive my naivety ...

I started attending a D&D group a few months ago and I have now decided to get my own minis and paint them myself.

After asking and looking around (I Must have watched a million YouTube videos)  I picked up a few Bones figures locally; I've also decided to also go with reaper paints.

But the big question is what paints should I buy?

I want to buy a few paints, as I am the sort of person that's more likely to stick to something if I've made an investment in it. I was thinking of buying the two learn to paint kits and the triad washes to get started with a few minis (I have to spend over £60 to get free shipping to the UK). If I get hooked I could then add the Master Series core colour expiation set 1 , and if I really get into it I could add the HD paint sets later on ... or should I just bite the bullet and get the core colour basic set ? or should I wait for the upcoming kickstarter? ... or should I build my own paint set? ... or should I do something else? ... aghhh so many options.

Any advice would be appreciated; thanks in advance :)

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Pick up the Reaper Learn to Paint kits and don't worry about the rest. IMO, You should have some experience (yes, painting six miniatures is experience!) with painting before worrying about what other paints to get. The Reaper Learn to Paint kits and filling out their triads is how I started. The Reaper traid system is *excellent* in helping new painters find the subtle range of colors you may want for a miniature.

If you want to paint for gaming, I recommend washes to speed up your work. For washes, Army Painter will have a revised Quickshade Ink Set in June 2017. I haven't tried the Reaper washes, but, if you look on the Army Painter website, you will find many army painting guides which use their washes. If you're painting boardgames, take a look at my profile on BoardGameGeek, where I paint with Army Painter paints and washes: https://boardgamegeek.com/user/Sam and Max

You will also want basing material. You can get most of it (eg. craft paint, playground sand) at the arts and craft store. Read and watch as many tutorials as you can first. You can also get most of your brush supplies (eg. natural hair brush pack, Master's Brush soap or Pink Soap) there, except for the hobby paintbrushes (eg. Winsor Series 7, and Raphael 8404).

Reaper will have its Bones IV KS (EDIT) coming soon, and usually offers paint sets at a very good price. You can buy the Learn to Paint kits now, back the Bones IV KS miniatures and paints, then fill out the triads of the Learn to Paint Kits and maybe buy the Army Painter wash set in June. (fyi, FunAgain Games currently has a clearance sale with Reaper Paints, if you have too much money to spend.)

Edited by ced1106
4 people like this

Thanks for the quick reply Ced1106  ::D:

I think that's where my thinking is at as well ... pick up the learn to paint kits with washes and a few extra mines , get some experience , wait for the new Kickstarter and then decide on how to move forward ...   

I agree that you probably should wait with thinking about buying more paint until you've tried the Learn To Paint Kits.  Firstly, they have quite a bit of paint included already.  Secondly, they have a few of the different formulas of paint included, so you can try them out and see what you like.  If you plan to mostly paint Bones, I'd suggest the HD or Bones lines of paint since they will be easier to use with no priming required.  The most important other items I'd suggest is brush on sealer and brush cleaner.  (Master's Brush Soap or Pink Soap, both are available on Amazon or at your local craft store.) 

And welcome to the forums!  ^_^

2 people like this

28 minutes ago, ced1106 said:

Reaper will have its Bones IV KS in a few weeks, and usually offers paint sets at a very good price. 

There's no date for KS IV yet... it could be months from now and regardless of that fulfillment could be a year or two away so this doesn't help you get paint NOW. 

Start with a LTPK and washes and see how you feel about that.  You really don't need a hundred bottles of paint to paint well or to have fun doing it. 

3 people like this

You may want to add Brown Liner to the lot also.

(Unless it's included in The LTPK)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the advice guys :)

I've kind of decided to go with the kits and washes to start with, then build from there ...

Any advice on what minis to pick up as a beginner ?

I was going to start on the ones that come with the packs (obviously) and then practice on  sets of figures e.g. Skeletons , Goblins , Orck  to practice different techniques / styles, and repartition  before moving on to more difficult / complex single figures. 

Edited by HarrowMonkey

i second gadgetman on brown liner. it's the only reaper paint i have but it's incredibly useful.

1 person likes this

Pick out miniatures that you like and think will be fun to paint. You'll be more likely to keep painting them when you run into a painting rut. You can always strip the paint off when you've got a few hundred done and repaint those beginning models. Some people like to keep their first model(s) to see how far they've advanced, though, so there's that.

Welcome to the forums ^_^!

5 people like this

9 minutes ago, Saul said:

i second gadgetman on brown liner. it's the only reaper paint i have but it's incredibly useful.

Ok, I already know this is going to be a stupid question, but what's a liner ? I've come across washes and inks but not liners ... yet

9 minutes ago, Mehman said:

Pick out miniatures that you like and think will be fun to paint. You'll be more likely to keep painting them when you run into a painting rut. You can always strip the paint off when you've got a few hundred done and repaint those beginning models. Some people like to keep their first model(s) to see how far they've advanced, though, so there's that.

Welcome to the forums ^_^!

Some of the thinking behind going for Skeletons , Goblins , Orck  was that I could build up skill through repartition and use the figures in games if I ever DM way of in the future ... don't see myself ever needing 15 of the same rangers :)

1 person likes this

You could always buy more miniatures of different sculptures that use the same techniques in the Learn to Paint Kits. Myself, I don't think you'll master the Learn to Paint techniques in only six or so miniatures. The first kit, iirc, has you painting a skeleton, an orc, and a knight, which all use different techniques. Terrain is also easy to paint (ObPlug: Mantic Terrain KS). I find anything with eyes and clothing to be a PITA. "Big naked things" :lol: like dragons and demons are, imo, actually easier to paint than those small humans. BTW, If you're looking for armies, Mantic's Undead Army, Orcs Army, and Goblin Army are good prices on eBay (wait for a flash sale), and Army Painter has Undead and Greenskin paint sets.

I guess you could use those 15 rangers as forest bandits... ^_^

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, HarrowMonkey said:

(I have to spend over £60 to get free shipping to the UK).

Reaper MSPs or HDs for colours and liners but Scale75 for metallics. If money were no object.

But, I think Scale75 is based out of Madrid (much closer, worth checking the shipping).

4 people like this

2 hours ago, HarrowMonkey said:

Ok, I already know this is going to be a stupid question, but what's a liner ? I've come across washes and inks but not liners ... yet

Reaper Brown Liner is really good for giving Bones Minis a base coat that acts like a primer because a lot of primers don't work well with the bones material.  People use it to make some of the details on a figure pop out that are hard to see on the white bones, also because there are a few of the MSP line paints that act oddly on bare bones I think walnut brown is one. 

Liners are somewhere in between a wash and regular paint in consistency and are used normally to line out different areas on a mini, kinda like the lines on a coloring book. It acts as a border between parts for example armor and the clothes underneath.

3 people like this

If you're just looking to fill your cart to get free shipping, you could look for some of the other Bones minis that are similar to what's in the kits for extra practice.  There are lots of orcs, town guard and skeleton variants (Kit 1) and most character minis would help practice the skills from Kit 2.  There are also animals and fun monsters like the owlbear or the griffon. 

I do also still really recommend the brush on sealer, spray sealers can react with Bones plastic and make your minis sticky.  Plus it can be very helpful when thinning flesh colors or to smooth out imperfections. 

1 person likes this

If you want to add a paint colour on to the LTPKs (or need to round out a little for shipping), there is no purple in either set, so you could pick out one of those you like to add.

3 people like this