HarrowMonkey

What paints should I buy ?

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My suggestion is to buy a couple of paints from as many different companies as possible, most have a beginner paint-set with some basic colors in them at a low price.
Try out the different paints and find out which suit you the best.

Personally I lean towards Army painter as I find their spray-primers to be the best on the market, especially since they have the exact same colors in bottles.
That and their quick shades are just fantastic for lazy painter such as myself.

Another good company to look out for is Vallejo as they have a huge variety of auxiliary mediums and effects.

If you live in the UK and want to buy Reaper, I would advise against buying from the US store as shipping piles us and you risk running into the tax wall.
try finding a local store that carries reaper instead ( use miniature heroes)

Edited by OneBoot
removed commerce link
3 people like this

7 hours ago, Spacefrog said:

My suggestion is to buy a couple of paints from as many different companies as possible, most have a beginner paint-set with some basic colors in them at a low price.
Try out the different paints and find out which suit you the best.

Personally I lean towards Army painter as I find their spray-primers to be the best on the market, especially since they have the exact same colors in bottles.
That and their quick shades are just fantastic for lazy painter such as myself.

Another good company to look out for is Vallejo as they have a huge variety of auxiliary mediums and effects.

If you live in the UK and want to buy Reaper, I would advise against buying from the US store as shipping piles us and you risk running into the tax wall.
try finding a local store that carries reaper instead ( use miniature heroes)

Reaper UK will be opening up soon as well, to help eliminating alot of those shipping issues....

And second on the Scale 75 Metallics....

simply the best there is....

1 person likes this

I guess most people have said everything.  I would just suggest experimenting with different paints.  

I am still new to painting and have mostly reaper paints but several others as well.  I have several citadel washes, some P3 metallics (I really like their metallic paints), Vallejo Game Color & model color, and I think Vallejo Air.

So you don't really need to limit yourself.  One of my local game stores sells one brand the other another brand, so if I'm at one and I see a color I like or need then I grab it.  Even if you find one brand you really like I don't think you need to limit yourself to that one brand.

Also as a new painter I know what it is like to really enjoy it and just want to jump in head first.  However remember you may want to upgrade your brushes, buy new miniatures (not all minis are as affordable as bones), you may get into basing, and several other little expenses that pop up.  I don't know what your budget is like but you may just want to take it step by step as you find new things you want to buy for your hobby and then you can just slowly build up your paint set and other materials. 

3 people like this

I would advice to think about what your favorite minis/style are.

Undead will need more bone colours and maybe dark/red/purples and rusty browns, while Elves would need more fair skin, greens, yellows etc ( just an example).

So deciding what you like to paint will influence your choices.

2 people like this

I have a variety I work with. Mostly for base colors I use the Reaper HD and Army Painter. For washes I like Citadel and the Army Painter Quick Shades. I also incorporate the Citadel dry stuff.