90 posts in this topic

HIIIII ...!

So, someone opened a FLGS someplace where I don't have to fight my way through stupid to get to it, and they have space and interest in hosting painting days! YUS!

All I need is some more interested people and some dates/times when they can come down and paint.

My schedule is generally flexible. Weekends alternate (this is a 'free' weekend. Next, I expect to be gaming. And so on).

South Hill Games is the intended gathering point. They have a Bookface presence, but their real website isn't up yet (.. and I'm not sure I am allowed to link it when it is). Go forth and Google. Once I have some tentative dates and interested parties, I will ping them via Bookface and see which can be best fit in.

Who's in?

5 people like this

I'm interested, but I don't think I'd ever actually be able attend.

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

HIIIII ...!

... someplace where I don't have to fight my way through stupid to get to it, 

I have to do this everyday but I've never heard it phrased so eloquently.

Could not help but like it. ::):

5 people like this

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I'm interested, but I don't think I'd ever actually be able attend.

Why not? Transportation ..? I has a sad. ::(:

There is food ... well .. food.. ^^; near by; I count a pizza place, something thai and a good pancake house in the same lot, if food is an issue. I have not asked what the food policy in the shop is, but I have seen people nomming on stuff there, so I can but imagine there is a food-okay policy of some sort in place.

10 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I have to do this everyday but I've never heard it phrased so eloquently.

Could not help but like it. ::):

Feel free to borrow at will. ^_^ 

I'm definitely a "maybe", it would be a bit of a drive to get there (I'm 45 min from SeaTac) but traffic would be less evil on the weekend, I suspect. 

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I'm definitely a "maybe", it would be a bit of a drive to get there (I'm 45 min from SeaTac) but traffic would be less evil on the weekend, I suspect. 

16 hours ago, knarthex said:

You mean people that will drive 2.5 hours just to hang out and paint with you crazy people?????::P:

I wish I had a paint day that close...

1 person likes this

Right? Heck, we occasionally get it into our heads to get on an airplane for three or four days of it... >.>

Ahem. Barring once-yearly gatherings, I was thinking once a month. Probably a weekend; Friday or Saturday or somesuch. Most likely sometime between noon and ... ???

4 people like this

NEMPA does ours roughly once a month on a Saturday, scheduling permitting... Sometimes we miss a month when everyone's busy, but usually we have at least three or four folks show up. (Well, admittedly, sometimes those three or four people arrive in one or two cars, but still... lol.)

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, knarthex said:

I wish I had a paint day that close...

The actual location is a bit further than SeaTac airport, but yes, it's not crazy far. It's more an issue of scheduling & babysitting.

27 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

The actual location is a bit further than SeaTac airport, but yes, it's not crazy far. It's more an issue of scheduling & babysitting.

If I thought they were old enough to be handed a cheap brush and a plastic orc I'd say, 'yes, and? Bring them!' - but the way you say that suggests they haven't reached that level of coordination yet, or are generally disinterested... >.>

Unless somebody up and tells me different, I'm generally aiming for 'Saturday'. Maybe not this month?

Barring Paizocon, which I have to check scheduling (so far they've managed to hit our gaming weekends pretty well dead-on every time), if this month.. .. the twentieth is probably too soon. June second is free, and seems more likely?

I got a PM-ping too, so the interest is real. I has a squee. ^^;

5 people like this

16 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Why not? Transportation ..? I has a sad. ::(:

Mostly because of working graveyard. My hours of wakefulness are rather backwards. And also driving through Tacoma.

I don't know. Depending on the time, I might be willing to do it on a Friday night. Probably not on Saturday night, that's our gaming night and that's difficult to rearrange.

I'd love to go though...

4 people like this

I'm definitely interested, missed this thread entirely until this morning. Saturdays probably work best for me since Sundays are either family day or game days. Fridays are iffy but might be doable depending on the time and I'm not all that far away so it's more likely that I could actually go.

4 people like this

Friday evening/afternoon might be titchy (they seem ot have some kind of miniature-related sportsbrawl thing on Friday evenings); but I can check it; they might be able to free up a couple of tables if we're on their schedule. And Friday for me is usually safe-ish.

Looks like we definitely have weekend, though.

4 people like this

Alright. So, I managed to forget about this until yesterday, at which point I said, 'eh, we'll be out tomorrow' ...

Which we were. I suspect one of the end results of that is going to be a hefty Reaper order, but never mind. >.>

Anyway. I have possible days! Soonest would be June 3rd. They also think they have space enough that we could do one on the 17th, which is International RPG Day, if we're into that. July .. *eyes calendar* .. Somebody said second, that ain't right; that's a Sunday. Either way, that weekend was also suggested. Who's in for which?

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I could probably do the 3rd. I'd have to ask husband about the 17th since I think he's got a game day around then. I'll double check when husband gets home.

ETA: I'm definitely free the 3rd and as of now that weekend in July.

Edited by SparrowMarie
3 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sushiroll
      Hey all, I looked for a thread about this but didn't see one. Anyway, what do people prefer to paint, metal or plastic minis? I just started painting and have only done plastic. I've seen pictures of some metal ones and they seem to have crisper details. I see they offer both options for a lot of minis on the reaper store, wanted to see what people think? Thanks!
    • By Sushiroll
      I just got into miniature painting and decided to post on the forum to get some feedback and advice. This is only the second miniature I've ever painted. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out despite my lack of experience. I'm thinking of dry brushing his back a bit more for an even more intense frost/ice effect. I plan on varnishing and basing him as soon as the bases I ordered arrived. Any CC is welcome thanks for looking!

• By KingMob
      http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2017/07/mv-challenge-2017.html?m=1

Peace and blessings,  brothers and sisters. The crew at Massive Voodoo have let loose their call for their 2017 Challenge.

The crew at Massive Voodoo set out challenges to their viewers in order to push our abilities past our comfort zone. This year they have two (2) Challenges for us!

1. Create a base using water effects.

2. Paint a Disney Infinity character.

There are limitations in this challenge - like on the basing Challenge: the goal is to create a base with a water effect, not to focus on a figure. They said we can use a small animal to accent the base, and Reaper has some awesome Familiars we can use. Also, Infinity Challenge is one figure, not multiple, which allows us to focus doing our best on one figure. Full details can be found by clicking on the link. 

I heard that little voice too: "I cannot win this! Why should I even try?" 
      Well shut the front door little-voice-in-my-head! 

I know I have much to learn and improve in my own Art, which is why this is a Challenge. We cannot lose: we win just by pushing past our comfort zone and learning more about our beloved hobby. :D

I said it before and I will keep repeating it: I believe in you. I see the awesome work you all do, and you believe in me too. That love helps me believe in myself and makes me want to work harder to push past my own limits.

Plus we get to paint a character from the Disney franchise - which includes Marvel and Star Wars! I didn't even consider painting these as well as playing with them! ( Don't judge too harshly. Elsa kicks butt.)

For a full list of characters available, check 'em out here:

http://www.portalcharacters.com/disney-infinity/figures.asp

You can find them individually and inexpensively on eBay. 

Now, if you will excuse me: I have some Reaper Familiars to peruse. :D

May your efforts be rewarded and blessed!

• By Chris Palmer
         A bunch of you enjoyed my recent thread in the Conversions sub-forum in which I did some conversions on my Shipwreck Revenant from Bones 3, (To see that thread, click here: Shipwreck Revenant Conversion.), so  I thought I'd do a thread to track my painting progress as well.  
          To sum up that thread; basically, I replaced the "face" part of the Revenant with a figurehead using the Succubus Queen (Sophie's Mom) figure from the Bones 3 Stoneskull Expansion.  I also replaced the Tiki Head on the back with a section of mast and a ship's wheel, as well as reinforcing the harpoon arm so it wouldn't warp under it's own weight, and a few other small additions.

Here's a shot from about halfway though the work...

So early this morning I gave all the parts a primer coat with Krylon with Fusion "Flat Black".  

Then, this afternoon when it was dry, I gave the parts an initial dry brush coat of Americana "Charcoal Grey"

Followed with a dry brush coat of Americana "Mississippi Mud".

And finished the base coat dry brushing with a final coat of Americana "Barn Wood".

I'm now debating if I want to glue the whole thing together before moving on to the rest of the painting, or continue working on each part individually.

• By NomadZeke
      [MOD]Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.[/MOD]

Important Change!
      As an experiment, this project has been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota – rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1.
      Thunderbird
      Emperor
      Ronin
      Simba
      Tiamat
      Katana
      Tyrant
      Starhawk
      Regent
      Cataphract
      Silverback
      Kraken

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, you must post in the bi-monthly thread.

The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)

What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Jan/Feb: 8: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72633-january-and-february-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/73560-march-and-april-rpchallenge/
      May/June: 9:http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/74744-may-ish-and-june-rpchallenge/
      July/August: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/75639-july-and-august-rpchallenge/
      Sept/Oct: 8:

Nov/Dec: 9:

Again, I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this.

Initial post from mobile hoping it won't train wreck
  • Who's Online   51 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)