lowlylowlycook

What historical rules are people playing?

35 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what historical games people here are playing.  Below are the two that I've played so far.  Both of these are more on the Beer and Pretzels side of historical gaming.

 

Bolt Action  Warlord's 28mm WW2 platoon level game.  The two main mechanics of the game are random unit activations decided by pulling dice out of a bag and pins that are accumulated by units when they are shot at and hit even if they don't take casualties.  The pins both make it possible for units to fail to activate and make the shooting by pinned units inaccurate.   With those rules in effect there is enough randomness to have a bit of friction and keep both players on their toes.

 

Armies:

Polish 1st Armored Division in Normandy

Ethiopians for 2nd Italio-Ethiopian War

Italians for 2nd Italio-Ethiopian War  -- with some additions these could be used for North Africa

 

Projects

Kagnew Battalion -- Ethiopians fighting in Korea with  surplus US WW2 equipment.

 

 

Lion Rampant Daniel Mersey's Medieval skirmish game.     These are some very simple but very fun skirmish rules.  For each kind of action a unit has an activation value that it has to beat on 2d6 .  For instance Knights are happy enough to charge an enemy, needing a 5+.  But if you try to tell them to move to another part of the battlefield for tactical reasons those blue bloods might think they have better ideas themselves and will only obey on a 7+.   Oh, and if you fail the activation roll, you turn ends right then and there.   Decisions, decisions.  One thing that keeps things simple is that the game is really about units (of 6 or 12 models) and exact positions of individuals is of little importance.

 

English 100 year army.  --  Waiting on the Perrys to do some plastic cavalry before I do their French opponents.

Ethiopians --  Many of my minis have appropriate weapons.  Perhaps their clothing isn't correct for the medieval period but who is going to know?

Orcs -- There is nothing stopping you from using any dusty WHFB models you have laying about.

 

Variants of the Rampant Rules

 

Dragon Rampant -- Fantasy variant, let's my orcs bring some of their big and nasty friends to the fight.

The Men Who Would be Kings -- Colonial variant.  I'm working on adding more Italians and Ethiopians for the 1st Italio-Ethiopians War.  Later I plan on an British/Indian army for when they sent an expedition across Ethiopia to rescue their ambassador that had been taken hostage.

Pikeman's Lament -- Pike and Shot variant.  I have plans for doing some Portuguese, Ottomans and Arabs for the fight against Ahmed Gran, who for a short time conquered and burned Ethiopia.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fwiw, If you're interested in discussing historical miniatures, check out TheMinaturesPage.com if you're not already doing so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a loaded question.

For modern probably Team Yankee, although I prefer Combined Arms. Combined Arms hasn't been updated since it was published and the author has passed away and the current publisher doesn't seem inclined to do anything with it.

For WWII on a platoon or company level I play Chain of Command from Two Fat Lardies. At higher levels I prefer Command Decision or Spearhead.

For WWI I prefer Through the Mud and Blood again from Two Fat Lardies or a WWI variant of Chain of Command.

For ACW, Fire and Fury is by far my favorite. The original rule set was at the brigade level, put they published a regimental version as well.

For the Old West I like Shoot n Skedaddle, although I have tried numerous other rule sets that are very good as well.

Currently that is about as far back as I go, although I have dabbled in almost every major era.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Flames of War just had a new edition come out.  IIRC it's 15mm.  Pretty popular around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Bolt Action alright. I'm in love with their 28mm models so that helps. Their activation sequence is a real breath of fresh air from the standard IGOUGO swamp of large-scale skirmish games, too. I haven't really gotten to play due to health reasons but the rules are easy enough. If I could figure out how to represent a Norwegian resistance force...

 

Another modern game that is enjoyable is NUTS! by Two Hour Wargames (I had to represent them somehow :lol:). The core campaign is set in Europe but they have many supplement books so that you can fight in any theatre during WWII. I've got the Italy After Normandy supplement and quite enjoy it but I'll be switching to the Eastern Front soon and fighting for the Motherland. I can hear the Soviet anthem already playing overhead the well-placed shots of Mosin-Nagant-wielding snipers. So beautiful.

 

Anyway, Two Hour Wargames released a different/bigger version of the game as NUTS! Big Battles that lets you field as big a force as you'd like. It seems like the best bet for people who like tanks and other vehicles as well as infantry on stands instead of 1:1 basing. Currently, this is a title I don't own so I can't give a proper review.

 

Truth be told, I play more Fantasy and Sci-Fi games than Historical and all of those are played solo 99.99% of the time so I don't know much about head-to-head, two player games. I'll have to check out Lion and Dragon Rampant as they sound like fun, though. A little tweak here and there will make them solo in no time!

 

@Heisler - Is the WWI game from Two Fat Lardies set up for solo play? I think they're a solo game maker but I can't remember for certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

     For WWII skirmish I'm currently playing Combat Patrol, a really innovative new set of card driven skirmish rules.   The clever design allows all the game mechanics to be quickly resolved through the use of a special action deck. 

 

 

    For larger battles in the WWII, ACW, and Ancient/Medieval periods I use the Look, Sarge, No Charts family of rules; of which I am a co-author.

 

 

Edited by Chris Palmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mehman said:

I like Bolt Action alright. I'm in love with their 28mm models so that helps. Their activation sequence is a real breath of fresh air from the standard IGOUGO swamp of large-scale skirmish games, too. I haven't really gotten to play due to health reasons but the rules are easy enough. If I could figure out how to represent a Norwegian resistance force...

 

Another modern game that is enjoyable is NUTS! by Two Hour Wargames (I had to represent them somehow :lol:). The core campaign is set in Europe but they have many supplement books so that you can fight in any theatre during WWII. I've got the Italy After Normandy supplement and quite enjoy it but I'll be switching to the Eastern Front soon and fighting for the Motherland. I can hear the Soviet anthem already playing overhead the well-placed shots of Mosin-Nagant-wielding snipers. So beautiful.

 

Anyway, Two Hour Wargames released a different/bigger version of the game as NUTS! Big Battles that lets you field as big a force as you'd like. It seems like the best bet for people who like tanks and other vehicles as well as infantry on stands instead of 1:1 basing. Currently, this is a title I don't own so I can't give a proper review.

 

Truth be told, I play more Fantasy and Sci-Fi games than Historical and all of those are played solo 99.99% of the time so I don't know much about head-to-head, two player games. I'll have to check out Lion and Dragon Rampant as they sound like fun, though. A little tweak here and there will make them solo in no time!

 

@Heisler - Is the WWI game from Two Fat Lardies set up for solo play? I think they're a solo game maker but I can't remember for certain.

It is not set up for solo play. Almost any rule set can be used solo, there are a couple of solo sets that you just plug your rules into out there.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Heisler said:

It is not set up for solo play. Almost any rule set can be used solo, there are a couple of solo sets that you just plug your rules into out there.

 

Good to know. I'll have to give it a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly either DBA or Flames of War. The former because I love ancients/medievals & I can build opposing armies easily, and the latter because that is what everyone is playing. I still solo-play (once in a while) Warhammer Ancient Battles. I have Might of Arms (really like these rules, may be OOP) and have Field of Glory. Unfortunately finding non-FoW historical inclined gamers locally is like finding a unicorn in my back yard. Oh they'll play...as long as you supply everything...

 

Damon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Team Yankee, but haven't played it.  I also have Fistful of TOWs, same thing.  I really need to try both - I think I will use TY for 15mm, and FFoT for microarmor.

 

For WWII, I have Bolt Action, and Flames of War, though I haven't played either in their current editions.  Again, need to break them out at some point.

 

For AWI through ACW, I have been converting my gaming group to Black Powder.  It's simple enough, and we can play a game in an evening with no problem.  English Civil War gets Pike & Shotte, though I haven't tried it out yet.

 

We play a lot of SAGA, but that's pseudo-historical at best, really.  Test of Honor and Blood & Plunder both fall in that same category, although B&P is probably closer to a historical than SAGA or Test of Honor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, warlordgarou said:

We play a lot of SAGA, but that's pseudo-historical at best, really.  Test of Honor and Blood & Plunder both fall in that same category, although B&P is probably closer to a historical than SAGA or Test of Honor.

 

Why would SAGA be considered pseudo-historical? I'm not trying to be an elf - I'm still new to historical wargaming and trying to learn the in's and out's so I'm curious. I've been close to buying the rule books and some models from Gripping Beast for a while but just can't pull the trigger. As an outsider looking in, it looks accurate enough.

 

Test of Honour is great ^_^! I've just flipped through the rules a couple of times but they seem solid. Plus: samurai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SAGA is a good game, but I would put it more into the tournament style of historical gaming. The armies are very abstract, in other words its designed to be fast play game with historical elements rather than try and recreate actual historical forces. The Warhammer Historical games (all of which are OOP) are a step up from this. Again I would probably lean back to Dux Britanniarum for more historical look at the period the SAGA roughly (very roughly) covers.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for solo games,   The Men Who Would Be Kings has details of a certain Mr. Babbage who was going to show up on game night but due to traffic or health reasons couldn't get there on time and instead left some general suggestions for how he'd like his Zulus to be played.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mehman said:

 

Why would SAGA be considered pseudo-historical? I'm not trying to be an elf - I'm still new to historical wargaming and trying to learn the in's and out's so I'm curious. I've been close to buying the rule books and some models from Gripping Beast for a while but just can't pull the trigger. As an outsider looking in, it looks accurate enough.

 

Test of Honour is great ^_^! I've just flipped through the rules a couple of times but they seem solid. Plus: samurai.

Basically, what Heisler said.  It's a large skirmish style game set in a historical context, but army construction is very loose and fairly abstract.  All armies get (for example) 8 warriors for 1 point, and there is little difference, stat-wise, between a warrior for Vikings, Milites Christi, Scots or Anglo-Dane.  (Some armies have armor modifiers or special weapons available, but the real difference in the armies comes in the battle boards).  It's designed so that you can play your Vikings against Anglo Danes, Normans, Romans, and Moors all in a tourney, without any major disadvantage.

 

If I wanted something more crunchy and realistic, I would have to look into another system.  As it is, it fits nicely for casual and tournament play, which is fine for me.  And yeah, Test of Honor = Samurai = kewl.  Accuracy be hanged.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and I forgot to mention that I still use Napoleon's Battles for the Napoleonic period. Still undecided on a good set for AWI and FIW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now