lowlylowlycook

What historical rules are people playing?

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Heisler said:

Oh and I forgot to mention that I still use Napoleon's Battles for the Napoleonic period. Still undecided on a good set for AWI and FIW.

I have Muskets & Tomahawks, but I haven't played it yet.  I have heard good things about it though.

I run late 19th Century Games using the Black Powder Sudan expansion. And play WW2 Skirmish using Bolt Action

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Beagle said:

I run late 19th Century Games using the Black Powder Sudan expansion. And play WW2 Skirmish using Bolt Action

What conflicts do you do for late 19th Century?

[Edit]  Now that I have my reading glasses on, I'm guessing, uh, the Sudan.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
1 person likes this

We've been playing Osprey's game "Fighting Sail" lately.  Otherwise, I recommend "Granny Grating Armies", either for the rules or the idiom of making 6mm historical armies out of canvas mesh.

For ancients, you really can't beat Hail Caesar as a game, buy there are So Many Modifiers And Rules Aargh.

Lion/Dragon Rampant are much easier to get into.

Over the Top and Trenchfoot for WWI gaming - been a while though. (Trenchfoot is kind of board gamish - with the most common action being Fall Down in the Mud. (Somebody shoots at you - hit or miss, you probably fall down in the mud.) And the scale is tiny - each hex represents one yard, each turn one second, each unit one man....

"Trenchfoot: Bullets & Bayonets in the Great War."

"Over the top! Run. Jump. Fire. Run. Slip and fall. So goes the advance across the mud, craters, and barbed wire of no-man's land."

Both by GDW, and both long out of print.

And... on a semi-hemi-demi-historical game, Kings of War Historical is a lot of fun, but so abstract that you can integrate it with their fantasy rules.

The Auld Grump

17 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

What conflicts do you do for late 19th Century?

[Edit]  Now that I have my reading glasses on, I'm guessing, uh, the Sudan.

Actually, no, although I hope to eventually.

We play 15mm Boxer rebellion and variations on that - the huge variety of troops in theater means there are lots of interesting what-ifs to play out. We also game the Zulu Wars.

Currently I'm working on a 15mm British Corp for 1862 to represent British intervention in the American Civil War, we're going to add this corp to the Army of Northern Virginia and play through the Gettysburg campaign. We were using vanilla Black Powder for ACW, but we've moved onto 'Glory, Hallelujah'

Posted (edited)

Anyone here a Check Your 6! player?  I've been sitting on the fence about getting into this game for about two years now.  FYI, the base game is an air combat game covering roughly the time period 1925-1947.

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot

13 hours ago, Egg of Coot said:

Anyone here a Check Your 6! player?  I've been sitting on the fence about getting into this game for about two years now.  FYI, it's an air combat game covering roughly the time period 1925-1947.

The Egg

I've been thinking about picking up the Jet Age version to do Vietnam/Arab-Israeli War dogfights, but haven't yet. Also haven't solidly decided on scale either (I was going to use cheap 1/144 scale plastic models, but finding a MiG-21PF in this scale was a challenge).

Damon.

On 2017-07-11 at 10:25 AM, Lars Porsenna said:

I've been thinking about picking up the Jet Age version to do Vietnam/Arab-Israeli War dogfights, but haven't yet. Also haven't solidly decided on scale either (I was going to use cheap 1/144 scale plastic models, but finding a MiG-21PF in this scale was a challenge).

Damon.

I'd find 1/144th too big for my available table space.  I've been looking into 1/285th (micro armor) scale pieces from Scotia models.  They're a bit more economical with playing space, and they do have a great deal of variety when it comes to aircraft and versions of aircraft.

The Egg

Yeah 1/285 is probably where I'm going to go. Still no MiG-21PFs. May have to resort to -F-13s  which I think the NVAF had at one point early on. So I could run MiG-21F vs F-8E Crusader games, which would be heckuva fun (F-8 is one of my favorite aircraft of all time!), rather than MiG-21PF vs F-4D/E Phantoms for a Linebacker scenario...

Damon.

GHQ has the MiG-21bis in 1/285. I don't know how visually different that would be from the PF.

Posted (edited)

The PF has 2 missile rails & an air search radar (longer nosecone) with no guns, whereas the Bis has 4 missile rails, longer nosecone, gun pod, & saddle tank bulge, so a few differences. I know some people are like "well MiG-21, good enough for me!" but there are enough visual differences here, like fielding M4s when you should have M4A3E8s...

I believe Raiden has -F-13s available, which would work for early Vietnam scenarios...

Damon.

Edited by Lars Porsenna
2 people like this

20 hours ago, Lars Porsenna said:

The PF has 2 missile rails & an air search radar (longer nosecone) with no guns, whereas the Bis has 4 missile rails, longer nosecone, gun pod, & saddle tank bulge, so a few differences. I know some people are like "well MiG-21, good enough for me!" but there are enough visual differences here, like fielding M4s when you should have M4A3E8s...

I feel your pain.  I've been a serious aircraft buff (especially WWII Luftwaffe) since I was about eight and I know what it's like to have to "do it right" or have it bug the hell out of me.

The Egg

On 5/9/2017 at 9:02 AM, warlordgarou said:

I have Muskets & Tomahawks, but I haven't played it yet.  I have heard good things about it though.

Muskets & Tomahawks is at to low a level I believe for what I want to do. I'm currently settling on a Fire and Fury variant for the AWI right now. M&T might be a good choice for the F&IW though, I envision that primarily as a skirmish level game.

20 hours ago, Lars Porsenna said:

I believe Raiden has -F-13s available, which would work for early Vietnam scenarios...

Damon.

Yeah, I understand the desire, and mostly share it for WWII aircraft, but I don't know '70s Sov-Bloc model differences enough to be able to tell the differences. F-4s though ....

:rolleyes:

Just wanted to make sure you knew about that GHQ model in case it was a better choice than other available models.