Pingo

It is not I who am crazy; it is I who am MAD! Pingo paints a Mad Scientist (Female)

22 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Ooo, she reminds me of Collette from Girl Genius!  I look forward to seeing how she turns out.  ^_^

50304: Rowena Von Graaf struck me as more the Colette type, but I see what you mean.  ^_^

• Like 3

For some really odd reason, a newly primed miniature is always something I like to see. Sometimes more so then the finish product.

• Like 3

As a sort of a liner and to give cold shadows to her dress, I washed over her bodice and skirt with a mix of Phthalocyanine Blue and Burnt Umber.  Phthalo Blue is a cold, greenish blue and Burnt Umber is a very dark, warm brown.  Between the two of them they make some intense cold darks with almost metallic undertones.

I also washed some over her big S gun.

I also had a bit of a turquoise mix from Phthalo Blue, a dab of Hansa Yellow (a very bright lemon yellow) and some Titanium White which I scumbled onto her underskirt and hat, very roughly.

592c23dabe9e4_DSC_0336C-Reaper-steampunk-59009-Mad-Scientist-Female-PhthBuHansaYelwhite.jpg.0d3424efd0646b57a6de346302c06dde.jpg

DSC_0337C-Reaper-steampunk-59009.jpg.566de21ae7c39da83d0d1a467197dee7.jpg

I mixed up a transparent dark violet from Ultramarine Blue and Quinacridone Magenta, then make it lighter, brighter, and more opaque with Titanium White.  I laid a very dark version of it thinly over her bodice and skirt, allowing the brown underneath to show through, and brushed lighter violet over it, partly when it was still wet.  I also added a little band on her hat.

DSC_0643-59009--Mad-Scientist.jpg.0f5c039fd743087b6bc02f5f3c33ae4f.jpg

DSC_0644-59009--Mad-Scientist.jpg.75a846872e46fa475fc2214ab927021d.jpg

I glazed the transparent purple over the dress to intensify the color and smooth the shading.

DSC_0677-59009-Mad-Scientist-(Female).jpg.348afd865e96eb21817736b977a019f5.jpg

DSC_0678-59009-Mad-Scientist-(Female).jpg.3f47f2982596fd54833d07bee0924a39.jpg

Yesterday I painted her base a bit.  I wanted the classic black edge and a grey floor.  But straight black is a dull, lifeless color.

So I mixed my favorite near-black from an even balance of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna.  It looks brighter when wet, but dries to a rich near-black with a matte surface (a natural trait of Ultramarine Blue pigment).  Here the figure is with a single layer (more tilted towards blue) on her base.  Notice that you can see the actual blue-grey color on the edge, which was a mottled white before, but over the plain brown of the ground under her feet it turns into deepest black.

DSC_0772-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.f01c4a2f96c2a7fe9bc4c71b4befffbb.jpg

I added one more layer of the mix, tilted a little more towards brown (not shown).  Then I mixed up some shades of grey by adding Titanium White to the mix and slopping it onto the ground under her feet to give a foggy, shadowy effect.

DSC_0785-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.f818feace7900783bfadd6bfcadbe664.jpg

• Like 14

Splendid work. Now you got me wanting to try that priming technique.

• Like 3

I wasn't expecting to do more so soon, but since I had the Ultramarine Blue-Burnt Sienna shadow mix still on my palette, and there are some little blips of uncolored mini that have been driving me crazy -- one in the curl by her right cheek and one under the left front edge of her bodice especially -- I took a fine brush and tried to eliminate the flaws (I see I've missed a few, sigh).

I had a nice blue shadow color, then, so I added a bunch of blue shadows around the edges and folds of her dress and her hat, and put a few more thin layers on her gun and her gloves.  Not only is it a nice shadow, the blue gives nuance to the purple, making it look more real.  Or at least that's how it looks to me.

From some angles you can see how shiny the purple is.  That's a natural characteristic of both Phthalo and Quinacridone colors that tends to come through even in matte paints.  The blue I am using here for shadows, Ultramarine Blue, is naturally matte, possibly the most matte of all pigments, and makes lovely shadows.

DSC_0801-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.7402042edc4853b539fd6b918db6dd31.jpg

DSC_0802-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.9a1b02b96ef79a191ed0c35cfa9368e9.jpg

DSC_0803-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.56622e4f678ee5920988df9b706642fc.jpg

DSC_0804-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.2307c80726e97da06d518fe6ae6c9fab.jpg

• Like 11

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chris Palmer
      This past week, I painted Kassandra of the Blade from the Bones 3 Core Set.   A couple weeks ago, I found myself painting up a Disney Monopoly Snow White figure to command a unit of Dwarf Miners (Long story you can read about here: Princess Snow), and I was really struck by the simple but effective primary color scheme of Snow White's outfit.  I immediately decided I wanted to paint a Bones female fighter figure with the same palette.

So, I pawed through my boxes of unpainted Bones, and fell upon Kassandra of the Blade as the most suitable of what I had.    The one thing I didn't like about her was the dual-wielding of swords.  So I decided to chop off her left hand and replace it before I started painting her.
            Then came the decision of what to replace it with.  I considered a shield for a while, then in looking through my box of Bones transplant donors I came across Sarah the Seeress, whose staff had gone to make my Highland Heroine into a Frostgrave Appentice, leaving her with just her left hand holding an orb of some sort. At first I thought, no, why would Snow White be holding a crystal ball; but then it hit me: paint it like an apple.      So it was an easy matter to cut off Kssandra's left hand at the wrist and glue on Sarah's hand with the orb.

And here's the final result.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, and probably it's one of the best faces I've done to date.

Fhttp://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/07/kassandra-of-blade-bones-3-figure.htmlull painting article on my blog:  
    • By Pingo
      These are Reaper's 02830: Wolf Pack, sculpted by Geoff Valley. They are mounted on one-inch fender washers.

I painted them for versatility, which is why there is a variety of color and base types.

Detailed WIP thread here.
    • By Jasper_the_2nd
      I've never been much of a fan of GW.  I mean the first fig I ever painted was GW, but that's because my friend (who was also the store owner) gave it to me for free (Come on, try it, the first one's free....).
      And I played some Bloodbowl back in the day (should really finish my Chaos Dwarf team one of these days...only been a decade or two).
      But I never really got into anything GW was making. Style wasn't what I was looking for, or the price point, or whatever.
      So then last week I was in Montreal for the GP (great time, too bad the race itself was soooooo boring). Was visiting a friend who lives up there and we wandered into the rather impressive GW store in the Eaton Centre.  Took a look around and caught sight of this:

Apparently a new edition of Age of Sigmar is coming out this week, and these guys are a faction.  Or whatever the different groups are called.
      I thought, "Those are pretty cool!  Flying stuff.  Steampunky.  I like."

Then we left.  And I went and marshaled for 3 days (the support races were better, btw).
      Then we met back up on Monday.  And I was still thinking about the cool steampunky flying ships.  So we went back and I picked up the starter. (they have 2 bigger flying ships too, but ouch, not cheap).

So, this is what they look like when you open the box:

Oye! Lots of bits.  Looks like everything has options (they have a very detailed assembly guide, quite impressive).  Options that presumably follow rules.  Rules I'm not sure I'll ever read, let alone play. 
      But I may check with the local store; I think they had some folks playing something GW.

So that's all I've done with them so far, but figured I'd post and get the WIP started. These may take a bit to get going.

• By Pingo
      So these are a couple of "mantis warriors" which I'm painting up as thri-kreen, the insectoid race from the Dark Sun and Spelljammer D&D settings.  They are Reaper's 03552: Klichik, Mantis Warrior (the taller one), sculpted by John Winter, and 03142: Zizzix, Mantis Warrior (the squatter one), sculpted by Michael Brower.

Here they are for scale (and unassembled) with Reaper's 03155: Vandora Waverunner, Pirate, sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.

Straight out of the package they have a very flat silhouette.

Here they are assembled, primed, and washed with thinned-down Burnt Umber.  I gently bent some of their limbs forward to ease the flatness a tad.

One source said all thri-kreen were golden brown; another said they were earthy shades of red, yellow, and sometimes green.  I decided to paint the taller one red and the shorter one yellow.

I mixed some dull, opaque colors using Iron Oxide Red and Yellow, each mixed with a greying-down blend of browns and white, and brushed them on thinly.

As god is my witness, this thing is not so pink in real life.

I painted this same yellow on both of the creatures' bases.

Then I washed over them with some thinned-down Burnt Umber.

To be continued!
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)