Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Chris Palmer
This past week, I painted Kassandra of the Blade from the Bones 3 Core Set. A couple weeks ago, I found myself painting up a Disney Monopoly Snow White figure to command a unit of Dwarf Miners (Long story you can read about here: Princess Snow), and I was really struck by the simple but effective primary color scheme of Snow White's outfit. I immediately decided I wanted to paint a Bones female fighter figure with the same palette.
So, I pawed through my boxes of unpainted Bones, and fell upon Kassandra of the Blade as the most suitable of what I had. The one thing I didn't like about her was the dual-wielding of swords. So I decided to chop off her left hand and replace it before I started painting her.
Then came the decision of what to replace it with. I considered a shield for a while, then in looking through my box of Bones transplant donors I came across Sarah the Seeress, whose staff had gone to make my Highland Heroine into a Frostgrave Appentice, leaving her with just her left hand holding an orb of some sort. At first I thought, no, why would Snow White be holding a crystal ball; but then it hit me: paint it like an apple. So it was an easy matter to cut off Kssandra's left hand at the wrist and glue on Sarah's hand with the orb.
And here's the final result. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and probably it's one of the best faces I've done to date.
Fhttp://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/07/kassandra-of-blade-bones-3-figure.htmlull painting article on my blog:
I've never been much of a fan of GW. I mean the first fig I ever painted was GW, but that's because my friend (who was also the store owner) gave it to me for free (Come on, try it, the first one's free....).
And I played some Bloodbowl back in the day (should really finish my Chaos Dwarf team one of these days...only been a decade or two).
But I never really got into anything GW was making. Style wasn't what I was looking for, or the price point, or whatever.
So then last week I was in Montreal for the GP (great time, too bad the race itself was soooooo boring). Was visiting a friend who lives up there and we wandered into the rather impressive GW store in the Eaton Centre. Took a look around and caught sight of this:
Apparently a new edition of Age of Sigmar is coming out this week, and these guys are a faction. Or whatever the different groups are called.
I thought, "Those are pretty cool! Flying stuff. Steampunky. I like."
Then we left. And I went and marshaled for 3 days (the support races were better, btw).
Then we met back up on Monday. And I was still thinking about the cool steampunky flying ships. So we went back and I picked up the starter. (they have 2 bigger flying ships too, but ouch, not cheap).
So, this is what they look like when you open the box:
Oye! Lots of bits. Looks like everything has options (they have a very detailed assembly guide, quite impressive). Options that presumably follow rules. Rules I'm not sure I'll ever read, let alone play.
But I may check with the local store; I think they had some folks playing something GW.
So that's all I've done with them so far, but figured I'd post and get the WIP started. These may take a bit to get going.
So these are a couple of "mantis warriors" which I'm painting up as thri-kreen, the insectoid race from the Dark Sun and Spelljammer D&D settings. They are Reaper's 03552: Klichik, Mantis Warrior (the taller one), sculpted by John Winter, and 03142: Zizzix, Mantis Warrior (the squatter one), sculpted by Michael Brower.
Here they are for scale (and unassembled) with Reaper's 03155: Vandora Waverunner, Pirate, sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.
Straight out of the package they have a very flat silhouette.
Here they are assembled, primed, and washed with thinned-down Burnt Umber. I gently bent some of their limbs forward to ease the flatness a tad.
One source said all thri-kreen were golden brown; another said they were earthy shades of red, yellow, and sometimes green. I decided to paint the taller one red and the shorter one yellow.
I mixed some dull, opaque colors using Iron Oxide Red and Yellow, each mixed with a greying-down blend of browns and white, and brushed them on thinly.
As god is my witness, this thing is not so pink in real life.
I painted this same yellow on both of the creatures' bases.
Then I washed over them with some thinned-down Burnt Umber.
To be continued!
Who's Online 23 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)