Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InvisibleThumb

Garden Variety bones (77345 and 77184)

30 posts in this topic

Thanks for the comments and support everyone!  I'm hoping it won't take much explanation once it's done.

16 hours ago, robinh said:

Nice!

But where is the KOI?:poke:

Zooming in on the koi pool...

image.thumb.jpg.b60fb345ee1a7364f02c74b506f6de86.jpg

even closer...

image.thumb.jpg.aea32d1ffc7bde2e0284ec90713cf4e6.jpg

... See that little turd of gs surrounded by rocks?  Yeah, it doesn't look like much but I'm counting on the paint job to sell it.  And the scenic water effect will cover most of the shape of it anyway.  There's a story brewing in the ol' noggin that explains why there would be a koi pool in the middle of the forest.  Not sure I should tell it though or leave it to the imagination.  

7 people like this

Tonight's progress update (why can't I make these short?)

Primed the the metal and gs with a mix of black and white (no surprise then that the gs still looks grey).  Mixed some tacky glue with sand and flock to fill in empty spaces in the base.  While I anticipate much of the base will get covered with flock or tufts or static grass, I don't want to have much bare base to deal with later.  

Brown linered the bonesium.  This I felt comfortable painting on as soon as it was dry.  There is a lot happening on trunky.  I decided to start by color coding different non-wood parts.  Here is my key so far:

jungle camo - vines, leaves, general green growing things

moldy skin - mushrooms and lichen

Palomino gold - other mold-like substances.  

I will also have three main types of wood: new, pale tan growth - ranging from ginger cookie to griffon tan.

hard wood - umber brown to walnut brown

old dry bark - stone grey to rainy grey

there are two flowers I've id'ed - started painting one the jungle camo, but I'll probably go for a red/fucsia color.  Or even a two tone flower.  I love the orange of a tiger lily, but I don't think it would go with this.  

Okay, back to what I actually did: peacock green under alien goo for the eyes.  I could not resist the alien goo.  

Pics:

just linered

image.thumb.jpg.00b5900c19a5ad252a6d3158bcd738ac.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.9c759102901ff667a5d694195af11505.jpg

and color coded:

image.thumb.jpg.eb287bf13089de12109b2f593e6194bf.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.0360850011dadcc82eebb1b686220920.jpg

squirrel's eye view of the alien gooey eyes:

image.thumb.jpg.261026dfcc3edc2b0819ca0cf2458b06.jpg

11 people like this

Very nice!

1 person likes this

Good progress!

And don't worry about getting too wordy when you're explaining what you're doing in a WIP thread; that info might help someone else out.::):

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

And don't worry about getting too wordy when you're explaining what you're doing in a WIP thread; that info might help someone else out.::):

What Chaos said. I get CRAZY wordy with my WIP threads; not only could this help someone else, but Future Me has found it most helpful when I want to duplicate something I've already done. It's basically my painting journal. 

I have to say, that Alien Goo is a surprisingly fantastic color. I should pull mine out and try it myself. :) 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

4 people like this

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good progress!

13 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

What Chaos said. I get CRAZY wordy with my WIP threads; not only could this help someone else, but Future Me has found it most helpful when I want to duplicate something I've already done. It's basically my painting journal. 

I have to say, that Alien Goo is a surprisingly fantastic color. I should pull mine out and try it myself. :) 

Huzzah!

Thirding this.  I sometimes put a lot of explanation into my WIP threads on the chance that someone may stop by and learn about a useful technique or some history or something, now or in the nebulous future of the internet.

5 people like this

Well if it might help, I'll keep it up.  I just feel a little bad not fully editing my rambles.  

So the mushrooms got a show off thread:

Their bases are simple- pokorny paint base grey with some darker grey and brown spots on individual stones and a very soft dry brush of ginger cookie.  Could maybe use more dry brush, but not sure it would show.  

Back to the diorama.  I went to town with umber brown, griffin tan and stone grey, picking out which color for which wood part.  Ended up doing the "antlers" and arms grey, the legs and parts of body and face umber, and the "exposed" wood on the legs, knuckles, and face in the tan.  Then I washed over it all with the walnut brown.  I also hit a few mushrooms with red (koi got some red as well- though I'm wondering if I should have done the off-white first).  

The flowers, which there are several if you can find them - I was generous when deciding what might be a flower - got a mix of garnet red and witchcraft purple.  These will need to be cleaned up and I may use a yellowish orange for the center of each.  We will see.  I even found a few more vines to hit with the jungle camo.  While I had it out I picked out some plants and leaves on the base.  It is coming along, but lots more to do.

image.jpg.ba54df112ed898bcb81ee6661464a278.jpg

image.jpg.0e2569841ee502acfc43c97540b5d6ff.jpg

10 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah!

Yes, you should find a mini that could use glowy green eyes or ectoplasm or even just a vibrant green growing thing.  It's my current paint crush.  I might need to try it on a ghost pretty soon.  Maybe something bigger...

11 people like this

Tonight I needed a change of focus, so I zoomed in on the little critters.  Looked up some pics and decided to give the squirrel a white underside (technically vampiric skin), then mixed this color with mahogany brown and gave the squirrel some of this reddish brown all over.  Finally painted over much of that with rainy grey.  Hit the nose and eyes with walnut brown.  

Meanwhile, the koi got some of the vampiric skin swirled a bit to go with the red.  And the bird, I decided is a kind of kestrel since the wing feathers looked too big for a song bird, but it is pretty small for a hawk.  So it got vampiric skin all over. Tiny bit of the mahogany mix on the head and chest, and then some speckles with the walnut brown.  This one and the squirrel should probably get a wash at some point, but they are in good shape for now.  Extreme close-up time...

Koi

image.jpg.60b2361f224fa21315da7d9866db203c.jpg

squirrel

image.jpg.6c8f8f74af03c6282c6352101a5acddf.jpg

bird back

image.jpg.21a99d7f24656667231aa6d7381d84d0.jpg

and front

image.jpg.56739d9905c03619d4f9600d61ec30cb.jpg

it was kinda hard to reach some spots with the brush and the camera, but I'm enjoying the challenge.  If I were more worried about getting everything just right or doing it for a competition or something, I think I would be so much more frustrated.

10 people like this

Got a relatively tame update tonight.  I worked on the base for he most part.  Painted rocks and water.  I also highlighted the green plants both on the base and on trunky using turf green.  Paints used for the stream: first a wash of violet shadow, then some ashen blue over most of the raised areas.  Vampiric skin on the highest parts, and finally a wash of coal black.  I will likely highlight again - probably with blue flame.  

I did not track very well the paints for the rocks and I don't think they are that interesting.  Just a couple pictures of the stream with rocks then for tonight:

image.jpg.12491cccad04ea8955f7b5ec3d9810e4.jpg

image.jpg.7978d42da91fe3736cd139417242373f.jpg

what is exciting is that almost all of the primer is now covered with paint (just a bit on the other side of the base left to base coat) so I can focus on details and highlights now.  

9 people like this

Just like bombed the bejeebus out of this WIP! I love the purple mushroom's staff! They are all such fun guys! Get it? Fungis? (GROAN! Sorry! lol)

Your diorama explanation was cracking me up! I love getting inspired like that and it is fun reading about someone else's inspiration. It is looking very cute. Are you going to use any flock or tufts on Trunky? I have one that I have yet to paint up. Great figure!

Love how the squirrel looks, very cute!

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Pochi said:

Just like bombed the bejeebus out of this WIP! I love the purple mushroom's staff! They are all such fun guys! Get it? Fungis? (GROAN! Sorry! lol)

Thank you kindly, Pochi!  Glad you dropped in and liked what you saw.  Puns are welcome here (did you get my morel/moral one?  It was not a typo!)

Your diorama explanation was cracking me up! I love getting inspired like that and it is fun reading about someone else's inspiration. It is looking very cute. Are you going to use any flock or tufts on Trunky? I have one that I have yet to paint up. Great figure!

It was was the frantic kind of inspiration -like when I'm cooking and I don't quite have the right ingredients and I'm just grabbing things as I think of them and throwing them in.  Of course I don't like to follow recipes and once I turn the heat on I don't like to stop so it's either scramble or burn.  

I am planning on tufts for the base.  Maybe one or two on the treant as well if I find a spot that could use it but not cover any flowers or fungus.  I kind of like the idea of using some of the beefier underbrush flock I've got to give it a "mane" or beard.  That would cover some of the grey stuff gap filling that I did a poor job of texturing.  

Love how the squirrel looks, very cute!

Thank you again!  It was fun to paint a quick little fig in the middle of the larger project.  

Now, for tonight's progress update.  Details and highlights were the focus of this latest session.  Used some hearth flame for the middle of some flowers and went back over the petals with the same mix of witchcraft purple and crimson red. I then highlighted with the purple mixed with spectral white.  I highlighted the yellow fungus patches with gilded yellow. Even dry brushed the gray wood with a mix of rainy grey and moldy skin.  

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of steps - only took pics at the end.  Oh, I also did the first layer of water effects in the koi pool after finishing the koi colors (hearth flame to make the red more orange, vampiric flesh to fix the off white and spots of walnut brown.)  also highlighted the stream again with blue flame.  

Its to getting close to the finish line now.  Another round of water effects and flocking and probably just a couple touch ups here and there with paint.  I'm mostly worried at this point about getting flock in the water effects, though some water plants might be a good idea.  Hmm.  

Pictures focusing sing on the flowers

image.jpg.e9d35bd629e878ca716cc962b5bbce34.jpg

image.jpg.69f3b899363a7145f773a686d6781b2a.jpg

Have I mentioned how I love that the "kestrel" seems to be pointing right at the axe with one of its outstretched wings?

image.jpg.c3465b82231d496c2aa6529991ac16a1.jpg

and the front view

image.jpg.3a101badab07d2742f5249913e0b5add.jpg

Just now noticed that I did not get a good shot of the koi pond.  Tomorrow I'll try to remember to do that.

8 people like this

Okay this one is starting to wind down.  I went ahead with the flocking and the tufting and even a wee bit of static grassing.  I pulled out almost all of my fake flora material and went at it.  Here's what got used where:

blended turf - various spots on the ground and some of the more boring looking areas on trunky.  Including the rear end and on top of the head.

Green grass turf - mostly on the base around the other elements.

Evergreen mixed flock - mostly in the spaces between the knuckles.  

Mixed static grass - mostly among the rocks on the edge of the base but also on one elbow joint.  

Medium foliage - a bit running down one side of the neck onto the chest.  Looks like hair pulled over the shoulder.  Also some behind one of the legs near the stream as a bit of shrubs or underbrush.  

Highland tufts - one on trunky's back/shoulder and one near the chopped down tree.

forrest tufts - one near the stream in back and one in front of the right leg.  

Now I am hoping this variety adds to the Ambience and does not distract from the story.  What say ye?

image.thumb.jpg.6f06aa9e9b451b5a7aea132d13f5c58c.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.24b34c45ba63d169015e508863f23757.jpg

Ps - put gloss varnish on the stream and another layer of scenic water in the pond. But no actual paint was applied today.

6 people like this

I have long had a "paint crush" (I like that term) on Alien Goo....however, it spread out into a longterm relationship with Moth Green. They're very similar colours, but I think Moth Green is just a touch less yellow and it's a little more opaque so I find it just a little bit easier to work with so I'm forever sneaking it into my paint jobs.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Guindyloo said:

I have long had a "paint crush" (I like that term) on Alien Goo....however, it spread out into a longterm relationship with Moth Green. They're very similar colours, but I think Moth Green is just a touch less yellow and it's a little more opaque so I find it just a little bit easier to work with so I'm forever sneaking it into my paint jobs.

Moth green really is the more sensible, stable choice.  It was a close call between the two when I made my last reaper order.    I went for exciting. I may still go for the moth green next order as there are times I can see wanting that bright green but not quite the yellow neon effect of the alien goo.  I'll wait for bones 3 paints before deciding where my biggest gaps are.

Wrapping up this WIP.  Took several days to get the number of layers of scenic water into my koi pond.  I'm happy with the result though I'll keep in mind how carefully you need to apply it to avoid bubbles in the future.  

Here is the show off thread:

So now I'm wondering if this would be eligible to enter into the diorama category of the reaper forum contest?  It uses more than one figure and one is large, just the others are so tiny.  

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

Moth green really is the more sensible, stable choice.  It was a close call between the two when I made my last reaper order.    I went for exciting. I may still go for the moth green next order as there are times I can see wanting that bright green but not quite the yellow neon effect of the alien goo.  I'll wait for bones 3 paints before deciding where my biggest gaps are.

Wrapping up this WIP.  Took several days to get the number of layers of scenic water into my koi pond.  I'm happy with the result though I'll keep in mind how carefully you need to apply it to avoid bubbles in the future.  

Here is the show off thread:

So now I'm wondering if this would be eligible to enter into the diorama category of the reaper forum contest?  It uses more than one figure and one is large, just the others are so tiny.  

If you're still building up your paint collection, then I think covering gaps first is definitely the wisest move, especially since you're happy with Alien Goo. If I can remember to do so when I'm home, I'll do comparison swatches of it next to Moth Green.

You do definitely want to be careful when applying scenic water to cut down on bubbles, but be aware that no matter how carefully you apply it, you will always get some bubbles. I usually deal with them with a sharp pin or a toothpick. I also believe that blowing on them through a straw will pop them.

I don't see why it wouldn't be eligible for the contest, but if you have any doubts, you can ask in the rules and discussion thread before you post in the entry thread.

ETA: @InvisibleThumb Here are the comparison swatches. I also threw in Dungeon Slime because it's similar. I didn't do any colour adjustment to the picture. The dark paint that I swatched over is Brown Liner, not black.

Swatches.thumb.jpg.503027e1a893580636cb4c814a32eb33.jpg

So you can see, Moth Green is a little more green, Alien Goo is a little more yellow and Dungeon Slime is kind of pastel.

Edited by Guindyloo
1 person likes this