JackMann

Crowdfunding: The Game

10 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I didn't see it as an actual Kickstarter project, more of a community-brewed game that satirizes / emulated Kickstarter projects.

Oh, absolutely. But things on the internet can have a way of taking on a life of their own, and I wanted to clarify before Bryan started getting emails about why Reaper is doing another Kickstarter project. :)

Another few possible card ideas I haven't seen mentioned yet: shipping company goes bankrupt, dock workers go on strike, problem with prototype of product.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

If people work it out, I could do some of the illustrations.

• Like 2

Eh. If we manage to work it into something fairly solid, I think we might move onto actually Kickstarting it. But that's a big if. Right now we have a gaggle of vague ideas and relatively few real mechanics. Let's load the cart before we think about hitching the horse to it.

• Like 2

I'd actually be kind of surprised if there wasn't already a game about Kickstarter.  I think there is a game about running a booth at the Essen show.

16 hours ago, Corporea said:

hmmn...

needs some positive effect statuses like "well-written campaign" or "persuasive creator" that would provide +x backers.  maybe community reputation: positive/negative to reflect "past history."  that could be played on another player as a negative effect or self as a positive?

also, there needs to be a cute kitten card.  a unique object that adds a huge advantage!

what about all the kickstarters that are out there for sheer entertainment value but actually don't provide any rewards?  I don't know how to incorporate those.

I think you should buy positive effect statuses, similar to production methods.  For example, maybe you can get Geordi LaForge to do your promotion will give you a boost in hype but at the cost of a lot of cash, or hire a good artist.  

I'm torn on how projects should work.  Maybe you buy them along with your other details at the beginning, and then can purchase more throughout the game.  This would allow you to work on multiple projects at once, possibly at the expense of backers.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pingo said:

If people work it out, I could do some of the illustrations.

Maybe we could ask TGP, too, in our hypothetical community effort.  He has a gorgeous graphic style that would be great for certain types of game illustration.  

• Like 1

This sounds fun and cool...

Don't forget fun things like "Black Friday" or "Brexit" and how they impacted Kickstarters.  

Also, having freelance game designers available to be picked up to boost or hurt sales or numbers (eg. Eric Lang).  Also, artists or sculptors... "Hire Tre Manor for $$$$?" 

I did laugh at the Chinese New Year though... so many possibilities here!

• Like 1

As it happens, Phil and Kaja Foglio are our guests at MarCon this weekend.. I'll be with them a lot...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

As it happens, Phil and Kaja Foglio are our guests at MarCon this weekend.. I'll be with them a lot...

And I'm sure they never get people noodging them for illustrations. :rolleyes:

I do mean to keep this light, but they are professionals with a lot of calls on their time, and while this is cute, it's hardly fair.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

So the most dreaded card in this game is going to be the Beagle Backed Your Kickstarter card, isn't it?

If real noncelebrity people are going to be referenced in a humorous nonflattering way here I feel like it should be done with tact and permission. 

Beagle has had some terrible misfortune choosing which Kickstarters to back, but unless he's okay with being named and included in this game perhaps it would be better to create a fictitious character for that role.

My card would be something like:

"Grayfax backed your Kickstarter"

You have 1 Time Counter to release Update / Stretch Goal or lose this backer.

Ignore "Lose Backer" effects if your Hype Level reaches X

Edited by Grayfax
Hype, Hype, Baby

I got more ideas brewing.

Each player manages multiple projects. Say you draw five cards from a deck of projects (different target goals and rewards), keep three or more. Then with a pool of tokens, you pledge on other players' projects, expecting to reap rewards, while promoting your own with cards form your own deck. Or you pledge on some projects, while sabotaging others.

If one of your projects is complete (fully funded), you can keep going and add extra goals, or start a new campaign from the draw pile. Successful campaigns give points to the project owner and players who pledged on them, extras give bonus points, but not as much a new project.

So you have to strike a balance with being cooperative supporter and a troll.

Edited by Cranky Dog