Couvs

Metal minis - repositioning bent parts

9 posts in this topic

It's going to be a while before I get to painting this, but I was drawn in by this month's 25th anniversary mini, Eli Quicknight, and ended up ordering some more paint colours and another bones mini.  I noticed when looking at Eli in the package that his left hand dagger is bent backward and I'm wondering can I use the same method with boiling water to straighten it out like with the Bones or is there some other thing I should be doing when I do get around to starting in on him? Kinda terrified of snapping the blade clean off.

2 people like this

You should be able to just carefully bend it back into shape without boiling, etc.  Just take it slow.  Most of the metal minis will terrify you a bit the first time you do it because you can "feel" a popping sensation as they bend, but if its just bent a bit and you take it slow, you should be ok.

6 people like this

^^ what Gargs said. Slowly and gently bend the dagger back with your fingers. Maybe use two firm flat objects on either side to really straighten it. It will make a fine crackling sound. 

The only warning is to not bend sharply or back and forth. You know how you can bend a metal wire for a while, but too sharply and/or too many times in the same spot, and it will break? Same idea. 

5 people like this

great thanks!  I'm looking forward to using this mini for my rogue character!

5 people like this

I find with swords it helps to have a flat object to press it against so that it doesn't get wavy from bending at the wrong spot.

5 people like this

Sometimes, you can remove a wavy bend in a blade (for example) by putting a spring-type wooden clothespin over the blade, holding it tightly closed and pulling it over the blade.  No guarantees, but it can work if it isn't too messed up.

3 people like this

Take note of the 'popping' or 'creaking' feeling you get when you bend the part back into position. 

If you ever bend a different mini, and the operation feels 'smooth' it was most likely one containing lead. 

Oh, and the first time is the scariest... 

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

Take note of the 'popping' or 'creaking' feeling you get when you bend the part back into position. 

If you ever bend a different mini, and the operation feels 'smooth' it was most likely one containing lead. 

Oh, and the first time is the scariest... 

Yeah, that's a good warning. My dad's old leaded figures are smooth and not crackly. They are also a darker metal than the pewter ones, and more easily scratched. Gotta remember to wash hands after using leaded figures. Don't want to go the way of Rome with lead poisoning. 

2 people like this

And don't forget to show the painted mini!!!

3 people like this