Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MKCS

Ral Partha golden dragon of chaos.

18 posts in this topic

You did a great job on it!

3 people like this

Beautiful work.

I also have a bunch of old school Ral Partha dragons that I will get to.

2 people like this

It looks stunning! Beautiful work!

1 person likes this

OOooo I like him as a red!

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

OOooo I like him as a red!

Picking the color for the Dragon was part of the reason it sat on the shelf for so long.  2e ruined my perception of a golden dragon...

I was half temped to try matching the colors painted on the back of the box, but wheres the fun in that?!  I almost pulled the trigger on blue, but I'm glad I picked red! 

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

excellent job. Im tempted to put mine together. Keep putting it off till i get an airbrush.  Did you use pins? nice job on seam lines. What did you use to put him together?

Edited by Tjrez
1 person likes this

He (?) looks upset that the adventures only left the little gold plaque when they raided out the treasure. Nice work.

2 hours ago, Tjrez said:

excellent job. Im tempted to put mine together. Keep putting it off till i get an airbrush.  Did you use pins? nice job on seam lines. What did you use to put him together?

Tjrez;  This one was particularly bothersome.  Ral Partha usually had solid dragons.  This was the first one I've come across from Partha that has large holes.

I really wouldn't recommend painting this model BEFORE gluing and pinning! 

I pinned and glued the 2 body sections first, front legs, rear legs & base, then the wings, and finally the tail.  I left the head off until  I was completely done painting.   

I pinned this one, the same as all my large metal models, by using cut up pieces of small hex keys (allan keys) and gooping them with JB Weld Quick.  Removing excess with toothpicks and q-tips.  A LOT of q-tips.

-The back legs were tricky!  The body has nothing to pin the legs onto, just a massive hole.  I measured it out and ended up using a 1/4" bolt.  I glued the bolt head into one leg and left it to dry.  After it was dry I  fished it through the body and threaded on a nut, then sandwiched a 5/16 flat washer between another nut. Then goop liberally with JB weld again. 

-The wings... Again nothing to pin to.  I used 1 1/2" - 2 1/4" long bits of hex key to pin these.  About 1/2" into the wings themselves, and the rest spanning through the hole, and well into the body through.  I wasn't satisfied until the total weight of the wings could be supported with the pins alone.  The hole for the wings was filled with JB weld once I was ready to install the second wing.

-The seams were all green stuff.  Using a toothpick I tried to make some of the patterns match.  The tail seam was from poor JB weld cleanup.  I had to make them a little thicker than the rest.  I thought I wouldn't notice once it was finished, I was wrong.

Anyway, I'm sure you're regretting asking by now with me rambling on.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

5 people like this

Very nice job on a big hunk of metal! I was a few days ago getting ready to start a nice Partha dragon myself, but I dropped him  and got unmotivated again due to the fact that he's now in pieces after pinning and gluing. 

1 person likes this

Good to know about the assembly steps. I too have a partha, and not one of the Dark Sword re-releases. 

I was thinking about painting before assembly. Good to know there may be problems with that.

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, 72moonglum said:

Very nice job on a big hunk of metal! I was a few days ago getting ready to start a nice Partha dragon myself, but I dropped him  and got unmotivated again due to the fact that he's now in pieces after pinning and gluing. 

I can't get past the "mint in box" obstacle when it comes to my Ral Partha limited editions.  I've tried to start a couple of them but the collector in me keeps pitching a fit.

The Egg

2 people like this

Nice job on the seamless looking connections :)

2 hours ago, Egg of Coot said:

I can't get past the "mint in box" obstacle when it comes to my Ral Partha limited editions.  I've tried to start a couple of them but the collector in me keeps pitching a fit.

The Egg

And I'm of exactly the opposite opinion. I've really never had very much "mint in box" rarities, but for example I had Dennis Mize's Slave Auction (and paid way too much for it), but tore it open the moment I got it and now all those little slave chicks are who knows exactly where, in a different set and assortment of drawers or boxes. I've never figured miniatures never did anybody any good just sitting there suffocating in a box, they need to breathe our nerdly airspace.

4 people like this