25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, finally getting started on some of the ideas i had from the replies in my last post and some techniques that will be BLATANTLY ripped off from posters of said ideas (thanks and sorry in advance Pingo if i butcher your technique in the tweaking of it). For our campaigns end game battle i found a model i thought would fit the bill. Its base has some almost rune patterns that i wanted to pop and be seen. i'm not looking for lava because ... that doesnt fit to me with something that has been "summoned", but i want high contrast of what i'm sure will be the stone floor of the secret chapel deep inside the high lord of the city's keep. Dry brush seemed like a good way of doing it but i am a time pressed individual so i was looking for a way to do that at faster pace than with a brush. i thought high density foam roller... but that wasnt right for the surface but i picked up some cheap foam brushes from Walmart tore off the side down to a manageable width and went for broke... dont think it turned out bad so far. I still intend to make the higher stones actually look like the stone floor than the blacked charcoal they look like now with some dark grey - white transition. But i think i will leave the charcoal look for the lower more central... not completely sure yet. My biggest issue is still knowing when the hell to STOP applying... someone once said  "paintings arent finished, they escape" and  so far i dont think any of mine have got out in time:lol:. Next up in this trial run is a wizard mini for my son that i want to try Pingo's initial priming technique on... this should be interesting:rock:

IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

IMG_4991.JPG

Edited by DaemonDoesMinis
Spelling errors, cause brain moves faster than thumbs on the phone
14 people like this

I think that looks pretty good for lava; maybe some yellows and near whites in the hot spots. Then I read your text. Oops... Ok, so the unpainted dude is conjuring something out of the rocks. Does the red imply a degree of eviltude? Perhaps some yellow/whites where the conjuring is focused to draw the eye to that area?

I'll be quiet now.

1 person likes this

Right. Write this down for: fast, effective lava. 

2 people like this

It does read as lava at this point - but some gray drybrushing should help. Any particular reason you chose red though? Any other color, especially something unnatural like bright blue or purple, would read more as magical than lava.

What is Pingo's priming technique? Is that the one where she you do a brown wash over white primer?

1 person likes this

If you were to paint over the grout while leaving the symbols red, I think you could get away from the lava appearance. I'd use a light or medium gray.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, GlenP said:

I think that looks pretty good for lava; maybe some yellows and near whites in the hot spots. Then I read your text. Oops... Ok, so the unpainted dude is conjuring something out of the rocks. Does the red imply a degree of eviltude? Perhaps some yellow/whites where the conjuring is focused to draw the eye to that area?

I'll be quiet now.

yeah basically the full figure is a demon (of course) i saw the base runes as the remains of the summoners attempts at containment that have just failed spectacularly... and actually when i saw how the light naturally highlighted the center with a kind of yellow to white tone i was actually thinking of what you suggested in a way, just very muted, not a fire kind of yellow to white just a "bright spot" kind if way.

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Right. Write this down for: fast, effective lava. 

If you want to replicate i used army painter's "pure red" color primer and vallejo's "black" suface primer so far.

Though the more i look at it the more i want the red to be ... brighter almost neonish ... for the effect i'm looking for... we'll see if i get it right.::D:

usual typos

3 hours ago, Pragma said:

It does read as lava at this point - but some gray drybrushing should help. Any particular reason you chose red though? Any other color, especially something unnatural like bright blue or purple, would read more as magical than lava.

What is Pingo's priming technique? Is that the one where she you do a brown wash over white primer?

Thanks for the suggestion! You echo what i've been thinking about the state of the red as is... yeah i know ... its cliche as all hell to do red and black or dark colors but well ... yes i like the colors (a little to much really) ... but this demon summoning felt like a red aura he's not in his element but is definatley a more balrog-esk demon... so blue or any other color seemed wrong to me. Also thats why these are trials or experiments i want to see if i can make it look how it does in my head or if it fails completely. But i do agree with the different colors for magic. And since new to d&d as much as painting i am probably "doing it wrong" by the book strictly speaking. ::P: 

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If you were to paint over the grout while leaving the symbols red, I think you could get away from the lava appearance. I'd use a light or medium gray.

Hmmm, you make a good point ... a little less dramatic and more k.i.s.s. (keep it simple stupid) That bears considering!

ok so i dont have titanium white or burnt umber. what i do have is army painter matt white and vallejo umber wash. 

Taking Pingo's details to heart, after coating over with the matt white I started appying a very much further diluted umber wash over the model not much in the way of coverage but staying the course of diluted wash i continued ... for about 4 more coats (2nd set of pics) after which i decided to be more liberal with the wash as it was, still a touch watered down from the wet pallet. three coats of that and i decided, if nothing else comes of it i think this (to me any way as it stands) looks like a good way to create a statue or "turned to stone" look. Because thats what it puts me in the mind of right now. The pictures might not do my stone opinion justice as looking at them first hand. We'll see what it does for the colors. As always any thoughts are appreciated

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG

4 people like this

I think your Umber Wash is a lot more subtle than my Burnt Umber paint and you are applying it with a great deal of care.  It's giving you a much more controlled look than my wild splodges.

It seems to me that the effect you are getting here is a subtle toning and almost a pre-lining.  I'll be interested to see how it handles.

1 person likes this

....Ever had one of those "Ah Haa!" moments. All i have is 12volt but I think i can fit it all in any way. Is that cheating?:devil:

IMG_5024.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

12 people like this

There is no cheating in art. There are only efficient and inefficient techniques.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

not much time today so I'm still on the base... trying a focused light on the bases runes... still fidling...proably need to fit at least 6 leds in here of this type... got it down to a 3 volt source though. hoping to adapt tealite base for easy on off.

IMG_5059.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

6 people like this

lil bit of soldering in position and i think i have the leds close enough on the runes.... done for the night :upside: back to painting next time!

IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

14 people like this

On 5/14/2017 at 10:17 PM, DaemonDoesMinis said:

ok so i dont have titanium white or burnt umber. what i do have is army painter matt white and vallejo umber wash. 

Taking Pingo's details to heart, after coating over with the matt white I started appying a very much further diluted umber wash over the model not much in the way of coverage but staying the course of diluted wash i continued ... for about 4 more coats (2nd set of pics) after which i decided to be more liberal with the wash as it was, still a touch watered down from the wet pallet. three coats of that and i decided, if nothing else comes of it i think this (to me any way as it stands) looks like a good way to create a statue or "turned to stone" look. Because thats what it puts me in the mind of right now. The pictures might not do my stone opinion justice as looking at them first hand. We'll see what it does for the colors. As always any thoughts are appreciated.

Even before I read your text and just looked at the pictures, "Turned to Stone" was my first thought.

i.e. Failed his saving throw. :devil:

For the base illumination. It does look like something nasty is about to burst from underground. [Roll for initiative!]

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Even before I read your text and just looked at the pictures, "Turned to Stone" was my first thought.

i.e. Failed his saving throw. :devil:

For the base illumination. It does look like something nasty is about to burst from underground. [Roll for initiative!]

You know... thats a good idea... i may leave the base where the model can be placed in and out just for that effect you mentioned. Roll for inspiration my friend! Thanks!