25 posts in this topic

Wow, that's amazing. The glowing red works perfectly for a balrog-type creature.

Could you give some more details about how you did the lighting? I have a bunch of little LEDs of various colors and wires and resistors and batteries and tea lights. I even have some more fancy stuff, including an arduino. But I don't really know how to connect them all together.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

To be quite honest its been over ten years since electronics were part of my job and as a close inspection of that soldering and wire will tell you i'm out of practice. So i have been doing things by the seat of my pants, thought to action, for pretty much all of it. But you asked so here goes:         I wanted smaller focused pure white LED's (link below to LED's i've used in pics) to focus in the "runes". Not RGB white because they always have a blue tint to it. Plus the linked ones had easily accessible solder points. Which ever you chose try not to mix and match led types. it will give you more options and less hassle in the long run.

What you need to decide off the top is how many LED's you need and how much voltage you will need to run them. for example if you have four 3 volt LEDs... if you wire them in series you will need at least 12 volts of power. If you wire them in parallel you can use 3volts to power them all BUT if using batteries (as i have done) wiring parallel will drain the battery MUCH faster as the Amperage draw is much higher. which is why i am thinking of going from a 3 volt 2033 flat battery to an A23 type 12volt cell battery. Either way you decide to use, you probably will need a resistor (or more if you want to be supper protective) to protect the led or have it function properly. i have linked a good article on leds for beginners below also, as i wont pretend to be a good teacher or subject matter expert. but it gives you the formulas to figure out resistance needed, the information you need to know about your led, and practical examples. bear in mind though that the current requirements will be different than your standard radio shack leds for example instead of the 20mA current need for radio shack leds mine are 350mA so make sure you have all the information about the leds you use.

As to how i placed them in the base.  i used a sharpe to put black points on the underside where the runes were on the top of the base. then transferred the pattern to a wood block and laid out the led's in a way that would allow them to fit in the space but also allow for wires of opposite polarity to cross as little as possible. i then made marks on the block indicating + & - leg placement so that when inevitably i moved the assembly i could reposition it correctly or bend/desolder on the block as needed. i didn't have a lot of small gauge wire so i stripped the one i did  from its insulator to save space except where the polarities cross. I intend to hot clue this in place once i've settled in placement and finally assembly, so it shouldn't move and the other bare wires should not make cross contact. 

still not sure if its what i'm using i have some red leds i want try as well first.

hope thats what you wanted to know :)

sorry post is quick and dirty but short time and phone typing :))

20 Pcs Pure White Light SMD LED Bead Chip Bulb Lamp 3.0-3.6V 350mA 1W 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.instructables.com/id/LEDs-for-Beginners/%3Famp_page%3Dtrue

Edited by OneBoot
Removed commerce link
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Pragma,

Go with the red if you are looking for lava highlights.... mine came in today the pics are of ONE red led. vs the 8 white i had in there. pics are and on off comparrison w/the one red led with my filter as dark as i could get it...my plans have changed :ik_oops:

Chanzon 10 pcs High Power Led Chip on Board 3W Red (400mA-500mA / DC 2V-2.4V / 3 Watt) Super Bright Intensity SMD COB Light Emitter Components Diode 3 W Bulb Lamp Beads DIY Lighting 

IMG_5121.JPG

IMG_5119.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

Edited by OneBoot
Removed commerce link
5 people like this

That is so amazing! Beautiful!

Posted (edited)

back to the wizard while i await parts to make base pulse light.

Not much done just starting skin and hair. As Pingo mentioned where i'd left off seemed like a pre line/shade... so i wanted to see if i could capitalize on that using thinner paint layers than I usually do. So this is about 3 layers of vallejo basic skintone, lightly applied with a water dipped brush for skin on the head (2-3 layers in the hands) and same of vallejo white and grey primer 2:1 mix for the hair.

IMG_5126.JPG

IMG_5127.JPG

Edited by DaemonDoesMinis
wrong skin paint listed at first
4 people like this

Bit of progress today.... couldnt decide on a color scheme. Oddly I decided to go against everything I like and use cool blue colors.:huh: Thoughts and critiques of course are more than welcomed. 

IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

7 people like this

That light idea is pretty awesome , great work on the wizard so far

1 person likes this

Holiday weekend, son is home, not much time to paint stuff. But, while all the kids were sleeping in I figured I'd do something small and quick. So, I worked on the spell effect for the wizard. Using Tamiya clear blue x-23 ((SNIKT)) & Vallejo white. Unfortunately it didnt dawn on me to remove the mold line from the spell effect till AFTER i looked at the pictures :wacko:... oh well its in a repairable spot i suppose. 

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5224.JPG

IMG_5226.JPG

IMG_5228.JPG

10 people like this

Good effect!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

lighted base project isnt dead just on hiatus. After the last post to this thread I had a real job scare and shake up where i work... put the skids for over a month to all extra activities as I took precautions and prepperations to secure other work. After that I was tapped to run a D&D one shot... So this hit the shelf. But its still on my soon to do list 

Edited by DaemonDoesMinis
spelling
1 person likes this