Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Unruly

What is the SCA?

35 posts in this topic

I was sort of half-arsed involved during my three semesters at the local UCONN extension campus... It may actually have been some sort of splinter group, though, since it was a very small group and some of the folks were a bit on the flaky side. My friend Paul and I showed up for about half a dozen meetings, before we sort of wandered back out again. Only a handful of people were really doing combat at all, which is one of the main reasons we'd wanted to get into it, and we were dead broke college students who couldn't afford armor. The meetings were mostly folks playing period board games and discussing recipes, and a bunch of the younger folks playing Magic: The Gathering.

I never got back into it after that, although a few years later my buddy Paul ended up dating a girl who belonged and as far as I know he got really into it for quite some time.

My brief brush with the SCA was where I first picked up my basic chainmaille skills...

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

According to the map, I live in the underwater section of East Kingdom. (Newfoundland is not on that specific map, but recognized on the SCA's website).

I had not considered that translation of "Tir Mara". The NF group was known as  Ar n-Eilean-ne but they seem to have gone defunct. The NS/PEI group is quite active, however.

8 hours ago, etherial said:

I had not considered that translation of "Tir Mara". The NF group was known as  Ar n-Eilean-ne but they seem to have gone defunct. The NS/PEI group is quite active, however.

The gods are not favorable to puns ("Ar n-Eilean-ne" = "Are an Island" in pirate accent), so they sunk them in the ocean.

1 person likes this

Lady Jehanne Argentee ... I miss the SCA, dropped out about 10 years ago due to my mother in law's failing health. Never managed to get back in, as taking care of family on my days off and working weekends got in the way.

2 people like this

I feel it necessary to point out that the Kingdom of Trimaris also includes Antarctica:poke:

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, VitM said:

I feel it necessary to point out that the Kingdom of Trimaris also includes Antarctica:poke:

And Mars.

8 minutes ago, etherial said:

And Mars.

Ah yeah, that's right.  And the Moon, too.

I grew up with my parents doing SCA events. We had fighter practice in our back yard and occasionally an event or two. I have quite a few memories of SCA events from my childhood. I think my mother still has some involvement now though my father left it entirely after they split up. I tried to get back into it as an adult, but just couldn't do it. I do still go to ren faire and dress up.

1 person likes this

I did some SCA activity when I was in college through first couple of real jobs. 

It it may be all different now from what I remember. But there were then all sorts of  other ways to participate other than simulated combat (@Unruly covered that pretty thoroughly) mostly involving making medieval artifacts or relearning medieval techniques. 

Artists: heraldry, emblazonry, calligraphy, illuminated manuscripts

Armourers: chainmail, helmets, bell guards, gauntlets...

Bards: singing and poetry 

Costumers: basic tunics to fancy Elizabethan outfits

Glaziers: I think I remember folks doing stained glass articles

Heralds: heraldry/history/heraldic design

Leather workers: all sorts of leatherwork 

Musicians: period instruments to play

Potters: recreated pottery

Seamsters: costume making; cloth armor sets; tent making

Woodworkers: crafting medieval implements from lutes to crossbows; even folding furniture and chests

Also, organizationally the SCA shrinks territorially as it grows in membership. For example: once upon a time there was one vast realm that encompassed the 48 states of North America (don't remember the name) but very few members. It then split into the East Kingdom and the West Kingdom (at the Missippi) because more people needed two Kings, right? As more people joined more subdivision happened.  I talked to people who remembered the event when Ansteorra was officially split out of the West Kingdom...and I think Trimaris might have been a principality (of the East Kingdom) back when I participated. 

Technically the group I'm part of is large enough to become a principality, and eventually their own kingdom, but as current stands: it is considered wiser and more beneficial to remain part of the middle kingdom. I'm working on armor, but training under Duke Lorelynn (sp?)

1 person likes this

On 5/16/2017 at 1:06 PM, VitM said:

Ah yeah, that's right.  And the Moon, too.

And Panama by right of conquest!

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Also, organizationally the SCA shrinks territorially as it grows in membership. For example: once upon a time there was one vast realm that encompassed the 48 states of North America (don't remember the name) but very few members. It then split into the East Kingdom and the West Kingdom (at the Missippi) because more people needed two Kings, right? As more people joined more subdivision happened.  I talked to people who remembered the event when Ansteorra was officially split out of the West Kingdom...and I think Trimaris might have been a principality (of the East Kingdom) back when I participated. 

True. Aethelmearc only split from the East Kingdom in the 90's, taking with it the Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands(Greater Pittsburgh area), which was the section of land that the Pennsic War originally started over between the East and Middle Kingdoms.

I have some news regarding my SCA group! It's very likely that one of my house brothers will get his Writ of Chivalry this coming Saturday. It's not a guarantee, but my house knight(and current Prince of the kingdom) has said that the Chivalry list has been abuzz with chatter about him for a while now, and it's looking good.

For those that aren't aware, a Writ of Chivalry is an award that's given to those who are to be knighted. Being knighted requires both great skill in heavy combat as well as a reputation for being someone who works to further the organization by educating others in fighting, helping organize things, and in general is someone that has garnered the respect of many. And in order to receive a Writ of Chivalry, the existing members of the Chivalry(all the current knights) hold a vote, so it's not just something that can be done at the drop of a hat. In Aethelmearc especially it's not been an easy thing to gain a knighthood, as last I heard we had both the oldest average age of new knights and the longest average time in the game for new knights.

So if that happens this year will be a very monumental year because we'll have gained both a King and a Knight in our household in the same year. And it will make this coming Pennsic even more special.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

And in order to receive a Writ of Chivalry, the existing members of the Chivalry(all the current knights) hold a vote, so it's not just something that can be done at the drop of a hat.

Point of order: It's a poll, not a vote. The Crown is required to seek the opinion of the order but is not required to follow it.

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Yeah, Kingdoms reproduce through calving. According to legend, it was originally all "The Kingdom of the West". Then the Boston group asked the NYC group if it wouldn't be more convenient to form a new Kingdom, and thus the East was born. Chicago felt that SF and NYC were both too far away and founded the Midrealm. Then basically everything that wasn't actively part of the West, East, or Middle, became Atenveldt, from which eventually spawned Trimaris (The East never went further South than the Carolinas). The youngest Kingdom is only two years old, it's Avacal up in Saskatchewan, Alberta and parts of British Columbia.

Other fun places claimed by the SCA: Bermuda (East), China (East, by way of New Jersey), Europe (Drachenwald), the U.S.S. Nimitz (varied depending on where it was officially stationed), the ISS (Ansetorra), the Moon (Ansteorra).

35 minutes ago, etherial said:

Point of order: It's a poll, not a vote. The Crown is required to seek the opinion of the order but is not required to follow it.

Could have sworn I was told it was a vote. It may just be that it's very heavily frowned upon for a the Crown to simply hand them out, disregarding the Chivalry, and so the poll is practically as good as a vote.

I really don't get into the awards side of things though. I just want to hit people with a stick and then have a beer with them afterwards while wearing medieval clothes. I've been told that I qualify for an AoA just by virtue of the fact that I was fighting, suffered grievous injury that very nearly cost me my arm during a fight, and immediately continued to fight as soon as I was medically cleared. I told my knight that I really didn't want him or anyone in our house to submit me for consideration for one, because I don't feel I deserve one for that even though it does technically meet the criteria. I want to feel like I've actually earned one rather than getting one out of what I perceive as pity.